Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighted Nock Review

Lighted Nock Review

Lighted Nock Review

This is my review of three types of lighted nocks.
    Burt Coyote lumenok SLG
    Firenock Style G series S nock
    Easton Tracer S nock

First thoughts:

Price:
    The lumenok and the Tracer were both $8.99 and the Firenock was $18.99. The prices were all for 1 single nock of each brand.

In the package:
    The Easton Tracer came with a magnet and a matched weight practice nock and the Firenock came with a matched weight practice nock and the Lumenok came with nothing but the lighted nock.

Appearance:
    The Lumenok is a simple looking design with the circuit glued into the nock and two plastic sleeves that hold the replaceable battery in place while inside the arrow.
    The Firenock looks a bit more complicated ass the circuit and battery are all in the open and there is a o-ring that goes on the battery to hold it strait in the arrow shaft. And the Tracer looks reasonably simple with the circuit also glued into the knock and the battery has a type of shrink wrap on it.

Battery Life:
    The Lumenok has a battery life of up to 40 hours and does offer battery replacement.
    The Easton Tracer has a battery life of up to 90 hours and does not offer battery replacement
    The Firenock has a battery life of up to 24 hours continuous burn time and no less than 48 hours with 1 hour burn increments. Firenock also offers battery replacement.

Triggering the LED light:
    The Firenock turns on by g forces made form arrow flight. To turn off just drop onto something hard directly on the back of the nock.
    The Lumenok turns on by going tight against the arrow shaft during release of the arrow from string. To turn off just pull and twist just a bit until light is off.
    The Tracer turns on by passing by a magnet the you Velcro to the bow close to where the arrow fly’s by. To turn off just pass the nock by the magnet again.

The Lumenok and Firenock stay on continuous until shut off and the Tracer is continuous on for 10 seconds then blinks until turned off.

Installing the nocks and making sure they turn on and off:
    The Lumenok went in to the arrow a little tight. After I got it all the way in I pushed the nock down on the table and it turned on. I gave it a slight pull and twist and it shut right off. So now that I know it works I turned the nock so it matched my nock placement on my arrow shaft.

The Firenock slid in fairly easy about the same as any nock. I dropped the arrow nock down on the table to turn it on, and did the same to turn it off. Now that I know it works I turned it to match my placement.

The Tracer slid in the same as any nock. To turn it on you need to hold it by the magnet supplied with the nock and wait for it to blink. The pass it by the magnet to turn on and then again to turn off. As with the others I turned it to match the placement.

I shot each nock 120 time to get a good review out of each nock. I used Carbon Express Terminator lite hunter arrows with 100 grain field points. After every shot each nock was turned off so I could exercise their on/off switches.
    The total weight of each arrow was as follows:
    Lumenok - 439.8 grains
    Firenock - 436.1 grains
    Tracer - 436.1 grains

Taking the first shots I was pretty excited to get to finally try a few different styles of lighted nocks.
    After I shot each arrow into a target 20 yards away in a indoor bow range, standing there I noticed that the Lumenok was pretty dim compared to the others. With the Firenock being the brightest of them all.

I shot a few more times for 20 yard inside and then I went outside to shoot 30,40, 50, and 60 yards.
    Outside there was an overcast so I could see the arrow flight, the Firenock was the easiest to watch as it was the brightest of the three.
    Accuracy was within a half inch between the three. I thought that was nice that they did not veer off to bad.
    Outside it was a little tougher to find something hard enough to drop the Firenock down on to turn it off.
    I did hit it against by riser and it shut off but you need to hit it perfect. I also dropped it on a stump and it turned off.
    The Tracer was the easiest to turn off, just pass it by the magnet Velcro under my rest.
    The Lumenok did get a little annoying to sit and pull and twist to turn off.

After about 10 shots my fingers got soar from pulling the Lumenok to turn it off and I also notice that I was turning the nock a little every time so when I would get ready to draw I had to turn the arrow to be in the right alignment.

Shot 22 I noticed the Velcro that holds the magnet to the bow was letting the magnet slide on it and had to pull it back and push it down to set it in place again. This was caused by the vibration and shock from the shots.

Up to shot 44 went good then I took a shot and noticed the magnet for the Tracer jumped right off my bow.
    That’s not good, I found the small magnet and put it back into place. Shot 53 went good until I tried to turn off the Tracer. I passed it by the magnet about 10 times and it still would not turn off. I pulled the magnet off the bow and passed it by the nock a few more times, and it still did not shut off.
    I shot them all a few more times and The Tracer still would not turn off.

Shots 62 and 78 the Lumenok did not turn on I am not sure if I had them pulled out to far and they did not contact good enough on release or if it was a fault in the nock. I still have had no problems with the Firenock.

Shot 103 I decided to shoot a foam target That I knew I could get pass thoughs, The Lumenok was shut off when I went to look for it, The Firenock and Tracer were lit up but the Tracer still has not shut off since shot 53.

Shot 120 - all knocks were still working except for the Tracer not shutting off.

Final Review:

Firenock - The Firenock worked for me just fine after shooting it 120 times. The only issue I had with it was sometimes it was hard to shut off but then again it is designed to stay on unless dropped directly on the end of the nock.
    The Firenock was nice and bright and also allows users to change battery and other nocks. The circuit comes out of the nock so the user can change color of the nock or if one gets broke. I was very happy with how user friendly the Firenock is and how well it shot. Yes the Firenock is ten dollars more than the others but I think its well worth the money As it was the best performing. One down fall to the Firenock is that you might want to buy a Extreme shock battery end cap just to make sure you don’t loose a battery or break the circuit, this Item is also recommended for bows shooting over 300 feet per second. I rate the Firenock a 9 out of 10

Burt Coyote Lumenok - The Lumenok shot good and lit up all 120 time except for 2 and also shut off on a foam target pass though. This is a decent nock for the price and it does allow the user to change batteries.
    But if you break the nock you will need to buy a whole new unit as the circuit is glued into the nock. Another down fall to my Lumenok was it was not very bright compared to the other nock I shot.
    I rate the Lumenok 6 out of a 10

Easton Tracer - The Tracer performed good until the 53 shot when it would not shut off. It did shoot good and was bright but I did get annoyed by the fact that you need that magnet. If you are going to shoot the Tracer I would recommend gluing the magnet to the bow and not using the Velcro. I also was not impressed with the blinking I like the nocks to stay lit and not blink. One other down fall of the tracer is that you can not replace the battery. The Tracer was the easiest to turn off but as for it breaking at shot 53 I rate the Tracer at 4 of 10.

I have nothing to say for the Firenock as i have not tried it...But i have tried the lumenok and the tracer, IMO the tracer was better because it was brighter, and it was the easiest to install and shoot, and i didn't mind the magnet as it just stuck to the riser inside the arrow shelf...i also had a hard time getting the lumenoks to stay on after the shot and that ticked me off cuz i thought these were mainly made to find your arrow after a shot...and of course to watch your arrow flight...overall i prefer the tracer

great review. I was considering trying some lighted nocks, but couldn't decide which to test out. Looks like it will be the Firenocks. Thanks for posting.

G5 lighted nock

are the best on the market.

Intertia driven
    blinks after 6 seconds of being released
    tap is 1 to 3 times to turn it off.
    24 grains total but shoots identical
    I' have shot 3 different nocks close to 50 times each and have not had one failure yet.
    '
    I put one nock through 3 deer last year and it's good as new.

Formerly the great COWBOY state of Wyoming. Now, in the frozen north of Fairbanks Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Ice View Post

Intertia driven
    I' have shot 3 different nocks close to 50 times each and have not had one failure yet.
    '

Does the G5 come with ability to change nock color and led color like the firenok?

Interesting..

Intertia driven
    '
    the one that blink 6 seconds and tap 3 times are 42 grains last year, now it is 38 grains. The 24 gains once are made by Firenock international using Firenock LLC's lightning nock specification with a Firenock blue LED and a Firenock "A" nock. Which one do you actually use, the X or the "S"?

It is not an inertia driven, but an accelerometer with a full digital system in the "S" nock of G5, the Firenock uses a Acceleration switch, a motorola Fuzzy logic system, a motion sensor, a digital time delay with ground fault. To learn more about it, please do a search on AT on G5 and Firenock, you will learn more than you wanted to know.
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

Ok

Um, I'm shooting the blue X nock. .204 out of easton acc's.

No, there is not ability on the G5 to change colors. the new G5's in red are 38 grains? WOW!

I"m using the BLue one's, so basically i'm using a Firenock then....I guess they work sweet then.

Um, I'm shooting the blue X nock. .204 out of easton acc's.

No, there is not ability on the G5 to change colors. the new G5's in red are 38 grains? WOW!

I"m using the BLue one's, so basically i'm using a Firenock then....I guess they work sweet then.
    MAJOR reminder..
    If you are using the blue nock from G5 in an ACC, you really need to change that out to use the "E" nock. Please read the following so you will not be disappointed!

http://www.firenock.com/faqs.htm#09_3
    To fit a lighted nock inside any shaft, the presence of uni-bushing will be Will any Firenock “G” series fit Easton A/C/C Pro Hunter arrows?
    Firenock "E" style nock is what is needed to fit the A/C/C Pro Hunter arrow. A/C/C Pro Hunter all have an ID of 0.227"and an OD of 0.270", 0.275", 0.280, and 0.285" for 440, 390, 340 and 300 size respectively. With the factory uni-bushing installed, it is very easy to think that a Firenock "A" style will fit as the Easton "X" nock is about the same size. This is not the case, in order for Firenock to work properly, the Firenock unit must make no less than 3 full circumference contacts with the inside wall of the arrow shaft. The presence of a Uni-bushing makes it impossible for Firenock to work properly. The circuit will fly out from the nock when shot at any object; the entire unit will also not be able spin balance inside the shaft. These are the only immediate issues that had been observed. Therefore in order to use Firenock in the A/C/C Pro Hunters, the uni-bushing must be removed. Since the uni-bushing used in the Pro-Hunter is glued in with very strong black glue, forcing it out is close to impossible, and heating the shaft will cause separating of the aluminum from the carbon layer. This leads to the only obvious solution, to cut it out. After the X nock is removed, cut the shaft at 0.375"; or 0.9" including the nock. The uni-bushing from the very tip to where it ends is ~0.325" or ~0.260" sleeve with a ~0.070" collar, and the X nock is ~0.63". Square the shaft and your ACC Pro Hunter shaft is ready to accept a Firenock "E" nock. Please note that there may be a tiny bit of polycarbonate to shave off from the shaft when you push in the Firenock "E" style nock the very first time, this is normal and part of the "E" nock's multi-diameter/size fit design.

Will any Firenock “G” series fit Easton A/C/C 3-60/340 arrows?
    With minor modification, the Firenock "GS" series nocks will fit Easton A/C/C 3-60/340 arrows. Use a razor blade and shave off the 8 ridges on the nock cylinder. By shaving these ridges off, you will reduce the Outer Diameter (OD) of the nock to 0.2405" which would allow the Firenock to make better contact with the interior wall of the arrow shaft.

Will any Firenock “G” series fit Easton A/C/C 3-49/390, 3-39/440 and 3-28/500 and Epic/Excel arrows?
    To fit a lighted nock inside any shaft, the presence of uni-bushing will be detrimental to the arrow flight. There one must remove the uni-bushing and fit the nock inside the arrow tubing. After the tests, we concluded that Firenock 'E' style nock can fit all the following sizes with no, or some modifications. Firenock 'E' style design is based on an oversized Firenock "A" style mould which has a cylinder of 0.2047". Now with the 12 ridges being 0.0129" high each, it can easily be shaved to fit. Size as follows:
    Epic/Excel has an inside diameter of 0.232" or 5.92mm => No modification
    A/C/C 3-49/390 has an inside diameter of 0.230" or 5.86mm => No modification
    A/C/C 3-39/440 has an inside diameter of 0.220" or 5.56mm =>Need to shave off half of al ridges to fit
    A/C/C 3-28/500 has an inside diameter of 0.205" or 5.21mm => Shave off all ridges to form a tube of 0.2055
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

GREAT REVIEW- Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I have only used the Tracer. Will be searching or a better solution.

I have had them work as designed, passing through a hog and staying lit/blinking. I have also had them break apart as they hit the animal.

When target shooting on a typical Yellowjacket bag field point target, I have had 3 knocks sever their circuit boards and force themselves forward to the inserts causing them to split the arrow.

Keep in mind this arrow is 302 grains, brittle and moving 320+fps
    Regardless, if this was a sturdy product I would not be out 3 arrows.

For the record, I glued my magnet to the shelf and placed the velcro on top. This prevents added noise but will still easily ignite the nock.
    Last edited by SilverFlash; August 17th, 2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: no

Whoa, that confused the heck out of me

I'm shooting the ACC pro hunters in 340's. I have 1 blue nock and 2 new red ones that came out this year. both in the .203 or .204 whatever it is.

what do you suggest I do? I read some of the materials but I'm not getting it.

I'm shooting the ACC pro hunters in 340's. I have 1 blue nock and 2 new red ones that came out this year. both in the .203 or .204 whatever it is.

what do you suggest I do? I read some of the materials but I'm not getting it.
    If you decided to use Firenock, you need to cut 3/8" from the back to remove that un-bushing, then the TRUE ID of the shaft of 0.232 is what is exposed. You will be using the Firenock "E" style, exactly the same one we use for ACC 349 with the uni-bushing removed. If you use the "A" nock, the nock will separate from the circuit on a few shots and you arrow will not fly true easily as the entire system is not making perfect contact with the inside wall of the arrow and cause wobble.

The reason I'm concerned is

I switched to pro hunters this year in the 340's from the lighter spine 3-49's, so this could be an issue for me.

darn

wish I would have known that before I cut down my arrows...that 3/8th of an inch isn't happening as I'm about as short as I can go....especially with fixed blades. It's about as close to my knuckle and riser as you can get.

Thanks for the info

Could that be the reason my buddy is using a G5 and he doesn't get good arrow flight? He just thought it was because is FOC was so far out of wack with the 30 xtra grains. I"m sure it's part of it. how much do the firenocks weigh that would be used on a ACC Pro Hunter 340 which is the same spine as a ACC 3-60?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFlash View Post
    GREAT REVIEW- Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I have only used the Tracer. Will be searching or a better solution.

I have had them work as designed, passing through a hog and staying lit/blinking. I have also had them break apart as they hit the animal.

When target shooting on a typical Yellowjacket bag field point target, I have had 3 knocks sever their circuit boards and force themselves forward to the inserts causing them to split the arrow.

Keep in mind this arrow is 302 grains, brittle and moving 320+fps
    Regardless, if this was a sturdy product I would not be out 3 arrows.

For the record, I glued my magnet to the shelf and placed the velcro on top. This prevents added noise but will still easily ignite the nock.
    In your situation, if you one day decided to use Firenock, make sure you order the extreme shock battery end cap. With that, you can shoot all day long with no issue. We have un-conditional 30 days guarantee on the circuit not base on when you purchase the nock, but the end caps purchase date. the below review should give you some idea how that works.

http://www.firenock.com/Reviews/20081125RogerPeck.pdf

ACC 360 and ACC Pro Hunter

wish I would have known that before I cut down my arrows...that 3/8th of an inch isn't happening as I'm about as short as I can go....especially with fixed blades. It's about as close to my knuckle and riser as you can get.

Thanks for the info

Could that be the reason my buddy is using a G5 and he doesn't get good arrow flight? He just thought it was because is FOC was so far out of wack with the 30 xtra grains. I"m sure it's part of it. how much do the firenocks weigh that would be used on a ACC Pro Hunter 340 which is the same spine as a ACC 3-60?
    Will any Firenock “G” series fit Easton A/C/C 3-60/340 arrows?
    With minor modification, the Firenock "GS" series nocks will fit Easton A/C/C 3-60/340 arrows. Use a razor blade and shave off the 8 ridges on the nock cylinder. By shaving these ridges off, you will reduce the Outer Diameter (OD) of the nock to 0.2405" which would allow the Firenock to make better contact with the interior wall of the arrow shaft.

In case of the G5 it is not just the weight. It is 38 grains and it is long too. It is not just the FOC, but the wobble BOTH.

How heavy is a Firenock "G" series?
    Firenock GSH ~ 27 grains with nock and battery installed
    Firenock GST ~ 27 grains with nock and battery installed
    Firenock GAH ~ 23 grains with nock and battery installed
    Firenock GAT ~ 23 grains with nock and battery installed
    Firenock GEH ~ 24 grains with nock and battery installed
    Firenock GET ~ 24 grains with nock and battery installed
    Firenock GCH/GHH ~ 29 grains with nock and battery installed
    Firenock GFH ~ 29 grains with nock and battery installed
    Lightning Nock GSH ~ 27+ grains with nock and battery installed

Just remember it is the entire unit, you should minus the weight of the nock you are replacing and if there is uni-bushing, you should minus that too.

I've tried 3 of the most popular lighted knocks on the market today with Firenock being one them. Of the 3, the Firenock is the only nock that has NEVER failed. Besides that......Dorge can be reached at any time if you were to have trouble and will it right! I only shoot and endorse products that I beleive in and I beleive in Firenock. PERIOD......
    Randy Smith
    South Delta Hunting Services

Smokin X Bow Strings Hunting Staff, Firenock LLC Pro Staff
    Strykezone 350, Hawke XB scope, Viper X string, GT Lazer II's, Firenocks, 100 gr Spitfires, DB blind, Swarovski EL Range

Miss that question...

How much do the firenocks weigh that would be used on a ACC Pro Hunter 340 which is the same spine as a ACC 3-60?
    24 grains complete or 13 grains more than factory.

Dorge,
    What size firenock do I need to fit GoldTip Ultralight Pro 300. Also I see green better on my sight pins so I was thinking green nock but what are folks saying about green; can they see them better than a red or not.

Thanks,

Don

Firenock "S" Style

Quote Originally Posted by Fortancient View Post
    What size firenock do I need to fit GoldTip Ultralight Pro 300. Also I see green better on my sight pins so I was thinking green nock but what are folks saying about green; can they see them better than a red or not.
    that would be Firenock "S" style http://www.firenock.com/Productfitchart.htm#FirenockGS In most case the red is better, or all the tail lights would be green instead of red. Green is great is the back ground is green with light. Red is indeed a all round colors, UNLESS you are some form of color blind. Then yellow on yellow, blue on blue are choices that you need to see. They are all the same brightness, so it is what you like most and can visualize most!

When I did the review The firenock I was using glowed Red and the other two Green. I found the red easier to see both indoors and out.

Thanks all, I will order them up in red.

I'm confused too, but may have it figured out... I was excited when I found out a/c/c arrows switched nocks & I could shoot a lighted nock... I got the new a/c/c pro hunter 390's.

I bought a pack of "X" tracer nocks....

when i pulled off my first nock, the metal ring came off too (stuck on my nock). I assume this is what yall are calling the "uni bushing"?

without the metal ring, the X noxk is too small....

So I have two options from here I believe?

#1- pull the metal ring back off my nock and attach it with the current "X" tracer nocks I have. this will result in excessive weight.

#2- leave the metal ring out & use "E" nocks instead, which will get me a little lighter and closer to the original weight

If this is correct, then i'll probably be better off with option #2 & going to the "E" nock instead right?

Also, the "X" nocks grabbed my string a whole lot tighter than the old a/c/c nocks did, making my bow shoot way low... i spread them out with a knife to get them to fit looser....
    do the "E" nocks grab the string as tightly as the "X" nock does?

nock spec.

Quote Originally Posted by missippi View Post
    If this is correct, then i'll probably be better off with option #2 & going to the "E" nock instead right?

Also, the "X" nocks grabbed my string a whole lot tighter than the old a/c/c nocks did, making my bow shoot way low... i spread them out with a knife to get them to fit looser....
    do the "E" nocks grab the string as tightly as the "X" nock does?
    That is correct and good reading and understanding of the system, my friend.
    The total clamp force of the Firenock "E" nock is about the same as the "X" nock, but there is what the similarity ends. It is much more precisely made than the X nock. You should see a jump in 1 to 2 ft per seconds fast due to the clean release. DO NOT SPREAD the nock, it will crack after it been spread and expose to extreme cold temperature. If you using a Mathews bow, the string will sure feel tighter as mathews strings are about 0.4 mm thicker than a typical string, but the release is still as clean. So no worry

I am glad they have tech support!

one nock for 20 bucks? sorry but that a little insane i think i will stick to g5 or lumenock if i want a lighted nock. who buys a nock for twenty dollars you gotta be nuts.
    Mathews DXT

copperjohn/fuse/goldtip/G5/alpine/winners choice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast