Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can convicted felons bowhunt in your state?

Can convicted felons bowhunt in your state?

A buddy and I were discussing this the other day as he knows someone that "did time" and cannot be in possession of or hunt with a firearm....His only legal option is to bowhunt. I was a little surprised by this.

Just curious about your thoughts and/or rules in your state.

Certified ==> BSA Archery RangeMaster

No Gun But they can hunt with a Bow. .
    AUTHORIZED DEALER !!SITKA GEAR, CORE 4 ELEMENT... ASAT CAMO... PREDATOR CAMO...OBSESSION BOWS... PRIME BOWS... PSE BOWS...BOSS BUCK FEEDERS,,GRIZZLY COOLERS,,,LONE WOLF TREESTANDS. MILLENNIUM TREESTANDS AND MANY MORE. EASTON ARROWS. GOLD TIP ARROWS,, STOKERIZED STABILIZERS,, B-STINGER AND MOST ANYTHING HUNTING RELATED WWW.SOUTHERNSTYLEARCHERY.COM

thats the way it is here. a felon can not possess a firearm but may hunt with a bow

here you go

well as long as they are not on probation or parole. i dont see why they cant bow hunt. if they where told they could'nt bow hunt i would have to ask then what is the differents in that then having steak knifes in their kitchen to use and i have never seen a person in my live time try to rob a bank or store with a bow. it would also depend on what crime you did to..

believe me my P.O didnt know how to answer that......

hey dexteme NICE avatar!!!! nothings better than cap and coke!!!!!! lol

yes they can bowhunt. are you a convicted felon?
    Samick Sage 25#
    DRT Broadheads by Dirt Nap Gear

Yes and some places i believe they can use a muzzleloader.
    DXT- 27.5

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

hey dude even if you are more power to you.. every one f#@ks up onces in their live just some people where young and stupid but it will follow you til the day you day like a kick in the butt every day you get out of bed..

die..... sorry duh,, lol

Yep the only way they can here, so you could say there are a few more criminals out running around during bow season.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1329841
    BOWTECH ALLEGIANCE-SPITFIRE 85s-Easton Flatline
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Ethically, Teach Someone New, and Have Fun Doing It

Wouldn't laws pertaining to felons be federally mandated? In other words if you are a felon and can bowhunt in one state you could do it in all states?

Thats the way it is here. A felon can not possess a firearm but may hunt with a bow.

There is just one state I think you cannot hunt with a bow or gun... or hunt at all if you are a felon and that is Utah.

California and Arizona both are the same, convicted felons can hunt with a bow...but no guns

Quote Originally Posted by BOHO View Post
    yes they can bowhunt. are you a convicted felon?
    Nope...I am clean. I even got me one of those perty CCW permits. I am glad I have it now knowing I will be bowhunting amongst ex-criminals.
    Certified ==> BSA Archery RangeMaster

Wisconsin is no gun, but yes bow........

Not positive about this but..
    I think it is in the way an individual state looks at a bow. If it is classified as a "firearm", then I think a convicted felon could petition the court to have his right to hunt with a bow re-instated.

Surely we have some legal eagles on here to clarify...

If you are a felon, it does not matter what state you are in, you can not hunt with a firearm. Different states have different classifications as to what makes a firearm though. If a state decides that a bow and/or crossbow are firearms, then you can not hunt with any of them, petition or not.
    Omen Pro 28/70, Victory, Magnus
    X Force Dream season 28/70, HTA, Magnus
    Lots Of Dead Deer

wouldnt think that a bow or crossbow would qualify in any state as a firearm. there isnt any fire (just limbs) with the arms. we did have a homocide last year with a bow. not real stealthy in a bank robbery though.

Same here in PA, no firearms, but bow or X-bow is o.k. for them to use!! My personal thoughts, you messed up that bad and ended up with a felony, you don't deserve to hunt! JMHO!
    Owner: Bear's Den Precision Bow Tuning
    "WHEN GOOD ENOUGH, JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH"
    Get "BEAR CLAWED"

Talking

I know a bow is not classified as a firearm, but a crossbow could be, depending how many hairs you want to split. I really dont care what they are classified as, I just want to hunt! And, seeing as I am not a felon, I can hunt any season I please!
    Omen Pro 28/70, Victory, Magnus
    X Force Dream season 28/70, HTA, Magnus
    Lots Of Dead Deer

I think in some states a felon is not allowed to possess a "dangerous weapon" so it would be up to the state's attorney general or that state's various county attorney's to decide what they thought would be allowed for a felon to own and/or hunt with. Just my two cents.

I'm fairly sure here in Missouri a felon can hunt with a bow AND a muzzleloader, unless the law was changed after this was in the news a couple of years ago. There was a big thing on one of the local channels news about it a couple of years ago trying to scare everyone saying felons could legally hunt with a gun, but then the report actually said it was only with a muzzleloader. I don't know if it stirred anything up in the capitol causing a change or not.

I actually did some research on this exact subject for my step brother who is a convicted felon (about 25 years ago)...Out of about 30 states researched the only one he could not hunt in was UTAH...

You can bow hunt in AR. unless you used a weapon in your crime, then they will restrict you from carring any weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by benton View Post
    You can bow hunt in AR. unless you used a weapon in your crime, then they will restrict you from carring any weapon.

Yep, you can bowhunt here, so, with that being said, I am an avid bowhunter unless I get my pardon next year. Like was said above, you can do stupid things when your young.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast