Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can convicted felons bowhunt in your state?

Quote Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
    A buddy and I were discussing this the other day as he knows someone that "did time" and cannot be in possession of or hunt with a firearm....His only legal option is to bowhunt. I was a little surprised by this.

Just curious about your thoughts and/or rules in your state.
    In Texas, gun no, bow yes.
    This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions.

Montana...

The licenses don't specifically require the use of firearms to hunt, and state officials note that most felons could legally hunt using other weapons, such as bows. Several people contacted by the AP said they hunted legally with bows while on probation.

I did learn that people on parole can no longer use a bow as a condition of parole. I don't know about probation.

and this..

MONTANA
    I. Automatic Restoration of Rights:
    A convicted person is ineligible to vote only if “serving a sentence for a felony in
    a penal institution.” Mont. Const. art. IV, § 2. Right to vote regained upon
    release from incarceration. A felony offender may not hold public office until
    final discharge from state supervision. Id. art. IV, § 4. Under Mont. Code Ann. §
    46-18-801(1), a conviction does not result in loss of civil rights except as
    provided in the Montana Constitution, or as specifically enumerated by the
    sentencing judge “as a necessary condition of the sentence directed toward the
    objectives of rehabilitation and the protection of society.” Full rights – including
    firearms rights -- are automatically restored “by termination of state supervision
    for any offense against the state.” Mont. Const. art. II, § 28. Accord Mont. Code
    Ann. § 46-18-801(2) (“Except as provided in the Montana Constitution, if a
    person has been deprived of a civil or constitutional right by reason of conviction
    for an offense and the person’s sentence has expired or the person has been
    pardoned, the person is restored to all civil rights and full citizenship, the same as
    if the conviction had not occurred.”).
    Constitution does not provide for disqualification from jury service, but a statute
    does. See Mont. Code Ann. § 3-15-303(2) (person who has been “convicted of
    malfeasance in office or any felony or other high crime” is not competent to sit as
    juror). Not clear what effect this has statute in light of § 46-18-801(2).*
    Firearms rights lost only if offense involved use of firearm, Mont. Code Ann. §
    46-18-221(1). Ineligible for concealed weapon permit if convicted of offense
    carrying punishment of one or more year in prison, or if convicted of certain
    violent or sex offenses without regard to length of prison term. § 45-8-321(1)(c).
    If lost, firearms rights restored automatically upon termination of supervision.
    See Mont. Const. art. II, § 28; Mont. Code Ann. § 46-18-801(2).
    II. Discretionary Restoration Mechanisms:
    A. Executive pardon:
    • Authority: The pardon power is vested in the Governor, but legislature
    may control process. Mont. Const. art. VI, § 12. Governor may issue
    pardon only upon recommendation of Board of Pardons and Parole, except
    in capital cases, though he is not bound to accept the Board’s favorable
    recommendations. Mont. Code Ann. §§ 46-23-104(1), 46-23-301(3).
    Non-capital cases in which Board recommends denial are not sent to
    Governor. Governor must report to the legislature each pardon and reasons
    for it. § 46-23-316.

Federal Law says...
    Anyone who has been convicted of a felony is banned by federal law from ever possessing “any firearm or ammunition." Specifically a person "convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" cannot possess any firearm in any location. 18 U.S.C. 922(g) is the federal law that prohibits anyone ever convicted of any felony to ever possess any firearm either inside or outside of his home. The federal punishment for felon gun possession is up to 10 years in prison.

The Statutory Exception

The rule prohibiting felon gun ownership has some exceptions. There is specific statutory language providing that the federal criminal firearms possession does not apply to individuals who have had their civil rights restored by the state in which they where convicted of the felony.

18 U.S.C. 921(a)(20) provides:

"Any conviction which has been expunged, or set aside or for which a person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored shall not be considered a conviction for purposes of this chapter, unless such pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights expressly [or implicitly as a matter of state law] provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms."

SRM
    2008 Hoyt Vectrix Plus with 28" DL @ 60 lb, Extreme Strings and Cables, 28" .340 Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows, 100 grain DRT Broadheads, Trophy Ridge REACT Sight, FUSE Whisker Biscuit, Tranquilizer - Golden Key Archery Stabilizer, Tight Spot Arrow Quiver, & black wrist sling

I agree with this except i think he should be banned from a bow as well. I understand that people need a second chance. I think that it should depend on why he did time. If he didn't pay a parking ticket i don't think he should be banned from weapons but if he killed his wife with a shotgun than be all means keep weapons out of his hands.
    -PSE Bow Madness-32 ATA-29/55-NAP Smartune-Truglo Tru Site Compact-Easton N Fused Epic 400-

-Tenpoint Pro Slider-125-150-175#Draw-Tenpoint 3 Line Scope-Tenpoint Pro Elite Carbon Bolts-

Quote Originally Posted by bigrackHack View Post
    In Texas, gun no, bow yes.
    Muzzleloader is also ok in TX if it does not use a shotgun primer, it has to use a percussion cap or a flintlock

Here in Indiana they cant hunt with a gun but can with a bow. A buddy of mine is a convicted felon did 4 years in prison (10years ago) & he bow hunts with me. He is a killer........................ ...............of whitetails.
    }--------->@<---------{

In IDaho

They can Bow hunt...
    Start a fire for a man, He'll stay warm for an hour...
    Start that man on fire, He'll stay warm for the rest of his life!!!!!!

So thats why there's so many bowhunters in Alabama...................just kidding
    SWITCHBACK XT..GOLD TIP ARROWS..SLICKTRICK 125grn MAG ..COPPER JOHN SIGHTS..VAPOR TRAIL STRINGS

In NY they can hunt with a bow or muzzleloader. One of the biggest poaching dirtbags around here had his second arrest for selling drugs a few years back and got sent to prison as a felon. We figured we'd never have to deal with him sneaking onto our hunting area again.

Wrong. He still hunts with a muzzleloader. Last year, he got caught shooting the NYDEC decoy deer on posted property. I'm betting I STILL see him hunting this fall.

in wv u can hunt with a bow and if you asked to and are granted permission by a magistrate court based on your crime u can hunt with a muzzleloader
    MATHEWS z7 28.5/70,G5 EXPERT II DROP AWAY,LIMBSAVER S-COIL STAB,TEAM EXTREME 4PIN, MAXIMA HUNTER 350, SCOTT WILDCAT, MUZZY MX3 AND RAGE 2 BLADE
    CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
    "Straight 'N Arrow Bow Slings Pro Staff"
    ProStaff for Big Game Institute check us out at www.big-game-institute.com or on Facebook

Here in MN felons can hunt with both a bow and a muzzleloader. Muzzleloaders dont require a background check or anything when you purchase one..
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

Yep, I have a buddy in IL that bowhunts with us that cannot touch a firearm.
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

Kansas-------Bow/muzzleloader.

marty
    "The O-man, Barack Hussein Obama, is an eloquently tailored empty suit. No resume, no accomplishments, no experience, no original ideas, no understanding of how the economy works, no understanding of how the world works, no balls, nothing but abstract, empty rhetoric devoid of real substance."

In order to weed out the bad apples and increased security posture, the Army Base I hunt went to State Police background checks as a prerequiste to hunt on base. The first year they implemented the background checks, the hunting roster went from 1,800 hunters to 600. I'm sure most didn't want to deal with the extra red tape, but I'm sure there were a few felons in the mix.

A buddy and I were discussing this the other day as he knows someone that "did time" and cannot be in possession of or hunt with a firearm....His only legal option is to bowhunt. I was a little surprised by this.

In new york they can hunt with bow and Muzzleloaders.

It the USA a Muzzleloaders is not a firearm.

of coures in are state dont take much to be a convicted felons

Just yesterday in town They got a kid 17 years old dwI , had two other kids in the car . clean record untill yesterday. 1st dwi in ny is a felony if you have a kid in the car. Now the kid will be convicted felon and will never hold a good job and have his record for life. Not saying what he did was right,But you ever did something stupid when you where 17.
    ENJOYING LIFE @ FULLDRAW

Quote Originally Posted by boarman1 View Post
    No Gun But they can hunt with a Bow. .
    Same in VA
    BowFreakZ Archery
    Sticking it to them one shaft at a time!!!
    Check us out on the web!!!
    NRA - VCDL - GOA - SAF

in pa they can hunt with a bow and i believe they can hunt with a gun but they are not allowed to own the gun and have it at there residence meaning they could use someone elses gun.

I live in Florida and ya BOWONLY for anyone convicted...
    09 Hoyt AM35 #63.... 07 Mathews Drenalin #63....09 Elite GT500 Ninja #60...10 Mathews Z7 #63....02 Mathews Q2 #65....08 Elite Z28 #60

Quote Originally Posted by wolbear View Post
    Same here in PA, no firearms, but bow or X-bow is o.k. for them to use!! My personal thoughts, you messed up that bad and ended up with a felony, you don't deserve to hunt! JMHO!
    Really you think all felons are equal? I had a buddy in high school, he was 19, she was 17. They had sex. Her parent didn't care but a jealous ex boyfriend did and turned him in.

He got arrested and convicted of Statatory Rape. To you really think this guy should loose all his rights. It is a felony.

In General I agree with you but not everything is black and white.

I have another friend that got busted at 16 with one his dad's pistols in his car. The thing was non functioning. He was consider a felon. I believe he bow hunted until he turned 18 and then it got wiped off his record.

in ohio my step brother was allowed to bow hunt but not gun hunt due to his felony dui. he had to get permission from the judge and p.o.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTTABOWHUNT00 View Post
    I live in Florida and ya BOWONLY for anyone convicted...
    Not true actually. I was camping, well drinking in the woods around a fire with buddy's and then passing out, and a random friend showed up and he was telling us how he could hunt with a civil war era gun but that is it because he was a felon. Some ridiculous story we all laughed and no way I believed him. Anyway, I looked it up...

unless the convicted felon has had his/her civil rights restored by the state's Clemency Board or the firearm qualifies as an antique firearm under Florida statute 790.001(1). Properly licensed convicted felons may hunt with bows, crossbows or antique firearms per Florida statute 790 during hunting seasons when such devices are legal for taking game.
    The 2005 Florida Statutes Title XLVI, Section, 790.001(1) states "Antique firearm means any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1918, and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1918, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

Same here...literally for me!
    B2E Hunt Club, NJ......Eden Ridge, KY
    '05 Switchback 68# -260 F.P.S.-Scott Wildcat-Beaman ICS 340- QAD- Spott Hogg SLICK TRICKS 125gr...
    '09 Admiral 70#- Hunter Hogg-it .... QAD - ST magnums 100gr- Easton axis- Posten 8"

The laws now that make you a felon in some cases is rediculous.
    It's all about becoming the arrow and letting the forest ninja out!!

IDAHO Fish & Game Q&A
    https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/conten...hunt-bow-idaho

It depends on the felony. Under Idaho law, anyone convicted of any of 36 felonies may not own, use or carry a firearm, which the law defines as "any weapon from which a shot, projectile or other object may be discharged by force of combustion, explosive, gas and/or mechanical means, whether operable or inoperable." That would include a bow. The right can under some circumstances be restored, unless the crime was murder in the first or second degree, or if conviction included the use of a firearm in the commission of any the listed felonies. (For a list of felonies see Idaho Code Title 18, Chapter 3, section 18-310.)

Unless its specified in your probation otherwise, IL is a yes. My nieces ex couldn't touch a gun, bow, or knife legally.
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

FWIW, we have archery in the U.S. mostly because of such laws (read Maurice Thompson's Witchery of Archery). The other reason of course is Ishi.
    --
    Bear Custom Kodiak T/D (green stripe) B-handle w/ #1 limbs (50#). Carbon Express Heritage 150 arrows w/ 100gr. bullet points, Carbon Express Nativ broadheads, G5 Small Game heads.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast