Archery Talk Forum banner

2009 Trad Showcase

9K views 72 replies 24 participants last post by  upserman 
#1 ·
Post up stories / pics of your 2009 hunting successes with traditional gear!

#2 ·
This should be good.

I hope to be able to add to it myself!

#5 ·
Turkey season was a lot of fun. Shot this tom in MI on opening day.

My wife drilled another tom on opening day of the second MI season.

I finished up in IN with this jake bird. I was getting real tired trying to work and hunt.

Made up a bunch of arrows so I hope to have more pics to share later.

Best of luck to everyone. Looking forward to your posts.

#6 ·
Good grief Denny.....how bout leaving someting out there for the rest of us to shoot!!! :wink:

What's the story on the Cappybara? Don't see much of them up here in PA.....

#7 ·
Steve, They are an animal native to South America and can weigh up to one hundred and forty pounds. They are good to eat and make some of the most beautiful leather I've ever seen. They were numerous in the region we hunted. Not a difficult animal to stalk, but fun to hunt and watch.

I just published a story about the Argentina hunt in the latest Bow&Arrow Hunting magazine. I write the stickbow column for editor, Joe Bell.

#24 ·
Thanks guys.I built this little bow in the spring to turkey hunt with and never got a shot.Hate haveing virgin bows so took it on whim to break it in and get something in the freezer early on.As luck would have it 13 turkeys came under my stand before the deer and we have no fall season.:)

#25 ·

We have an early doe season here in MI. I hate it (firearms legal), but usually go out and give it a try. Had a small buck walk by early and then this doe got too close. Beautiful morning to be in the field.

Used my osage PLX TD longbow, Traditional Only carbons tipped with the Woodsman Elite and Arrow Master quiver from Safari Tuff.

#28 ·
Nice deer Junker & Denny!!! :thumbs_up

Denny - I've got a pair of limbsavers on my PSR in right about the same spot, had them on for a couple weeks now and am really pleased with how they're working out. Interesting to see that they seem to work just as well on a much longer TD PL.

#29 ·
Steve, I can feel a difference for sure. Not as much as on a recurve though. I've been discussing the subject of why some shooters say Limbsavers help and others can't feel a difference. We came up with the archer's grip factoring into this. Rod Jenkins says the more you grip the bow, the more you use your bowarm for a giant limbsaver and this makes sense to me. I've seen a very loose grip shooter get more noise out of the same set up (everything else equal) than a tight grip shooter. I tune my bows differently since I switched to just catching my bow with the index finger.

#32 ·
The grip thing makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not a huge fan of how the limbsavers look on the bow, but function definatly trumps form in this case.

Speaking of grip, I suppose I owe you a thank you. After watching MBB III, I changed how I grip my PSR. Similar to your grip, big difference being that I tuck my pinkie and ring finger and "catch" with the other two. Tho I still do torque it from time to time, I'm much more consistant gripping like this.

#33 ·
Jason, beautiful picture. I knew the deer over there were in big trouble after shooting with you at Comptons.:)

Steve, I'm glad you got something helpfull from MBB3. I think it is the best one in some ways. Sounds like you put some time in at the bale and it payed off. Thank you for your support.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.