Archery Talk Forum banner

Problem w/ Moultrie camera

28K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  170p&ywhitail 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my two Moultrie I 40 cameras. I have had them for two seasons and been relatively happy with the performance. I went to install them for this season and changed the batteries and the display was bad on the one camera. I sent it back to the factory and they charged me $ 40.00 to repair. I received it back and checked the other camera and it's display went bad. I called customer service and they said they would fix the second camera for $ 40.00 and said it was just bad luck. I am upset because the total amount of field use has been 6 or 7 months with only two battery changes on each. I do not leave them out all year. I have dealt with many sporting good manufactures over the years and Moultrie is the first that I have been disappointed with customer service. Has anyone else had this problem.

I am looking for two more cameras and was going to buy the same ones but I am afraid of having the same problem. Can anyone give me a suggestion on a camera for around $ 200.00 that is reliable and the company will stand behind it.

I am currently waiting for a manager to call me from Moultrie; I am not holding my breath.

Steve.

See less See more
#4 ·
I currently have 2 I-40's(07' and 08'). One of which seems to be operating fine, and the other has the top line going out on the LCD. So I would say the LCD replacement is in the near future for at least one of mine if not both.

I also have 2 SG's, of which I would highly recommend. The video on them is awesome, and battery life is VERY good. Not I-40 good, but still very good.

#7 ·
I have three of them and one has a screen going bad. My buddy has invested in 6 of them and I believe 4 or 5 of them are having problems. I called the company about a month ago and they told me it wasn't a common problem. Were both done with them. The cameras still work, but we can't change the time/date, see battery life, etc..

#8 ·
I have exchanged 5 of them in the last couple years. Just bought a bushnell trophy cam instead. The i40s are great in every aspect except the lcd screen. I wish they would fix it right.

#9 ·
Hi,

It's been several hours and no call back from a manager. I guess it is true that Moultrie customer service is poor.

I was looking at a cuddeback camera for around 245.00 from cabelas. I think it is called a scout 5 meg pic. and IR. Sounds good a bit more then I want to spend however if I add the $ 40.00 and hassle to replace the display I will be ahead.

Steve.

#10 ·
Hi,

It's been several hours and no call back from a manager. I guess it is true that Moultrie customer service is poor.

I was looking at a cuddeback camera for around 245.00 from cabelas. I think it is called a scout 5 meg pic. and IR. Sounds good a bit more then I want to spend however if I add the $ 40.00 and hassle to replace the display I will be ahead.
Steve.
No. Customer Service is actually excellent. Who leaves a message and expects a return call in several hours?

Call and stay on the line until you get someone. They've been very courteous and helpful to most people that I know. Once they receive your camera, they send an email letting you know they got it, and in about 3 days a new one will show up on your doorstep. They don't "fix" the LCD, they replace the whole unit.

The LCD issue is a MAJOR problem. I used to recommend the i40 whole heartily, but only because of this issue, I can't seem to do so anymore. If it were not for the LCD issue, then at $160, it's a hard camera to beat.

Scoutguards/Bushnells/Cuddebacks, etc. have their particular issues too. So does any manuf. camera.

Homebrew is the way to go and you can find people selling complete units for a fair price.

I'd still buy a moultrie as the I45 looks very promising, just need to see how the QC is on them whenever they get to store shelves.

#12 ·
Mine LCD screen is starting to die also. I agree that this will be the last Moultrie item I buy. They now rank 2nd to Bushnell products in my book. What a shame becuase I really liked my camera. Actually I still do like it, even though I can't read the screen.

#13 ·
I'm not very familar with the newer Moultries (had/have some of the older game spys) and have a question. Does the M-40 also have this LCD screen on it? Same problems?

#14 ·
The M-40 also has the LCD display. Since most people bought the I40, that's where the most posts are coming from.

I'd assume the m40 and i60 will have the LCD issue as they're the same LCD display.

The i45 is now out. The lcd is totally different on them. Time will tell on the QC as they are just now beginning to ship.

Hopefully chasingame can get their hands on one very soon and post up a review of this "virtually invisible" flash camera.

#15 ·
I did speak to customer service and they explained the processes of sending the camera back just like they did with the first camera I returned. I wanted to speak to a manager because I was upset about paying another $ 40.00 plus shipping to have the same problem fixed on another camera. They said a manager was not available and they needed to call me back.

They fixed the first camera I returned to them; I did not get a new one. They did however communicate well once they received my camera and called for my CC # before they repaired my first camera. Just because they are nice about it doesn't mean good customer service. They refused to acknowledge the problem with the display and then charged me for repair because they didn't want to back their product. In my book it is poor customer service and I will get my camera fixed and then support other companies that care about there customers. I work way to hard for my $ and we have many other options. I hope others read and choose other products as well.

Steve.

#16 ·
A manager wasn't needed unless your repair was over a year old as Moultrie warranties their repairs for 1 yr from date of service. Directly from their website.

I have sent mine back and have no problems getting it replaced at no charge as it is still under warranty.

Any item repaired by Moultrie Feeders will receive a one-year extended warranty from date of service.

#17 ·
I purchased an i40 last yr set it up once and bumped the tree and the lcd started to go then it completely went.I have it out this yr again but it is on all the same settings because i dont have a lcd.Wil not buy another because it is not durable,the bat life is great but that is all,it also makes a klunk when it is focussing or something.

#18 ·
Like I said earlier, my friend has 5 I-40's that have either went bad or are going bad and I have 1 out of 3 that's bad. All of our cameras were between 1 to 3 years old before the screens quit. (no more warranty) Between the two of us we have approx. $1700 worth of cameras. I'm not real happy about paying another $240 (6x40) to get them fixed. Plus, this is the time of year I want my cameras in the field, not in the shop. I just wish the guy on the phone would have fessed up and said, "yes its a problem and were working on fixing it". Instead he told me its not a big problem and he acted surprised that it happened.

#19 ·
When I sent in my I40 last year for lcd screen warranty repair, the lady I spoke with stated it was a well known fact about the lcd screens going out and they were well aware of the problem and see it often and they would ship me a new I40 when they received broken one. It was a bout 8 days from the day I sent mine in until I received the new one. Pretty good. But now that my cams are out of warranty I am screwed. :mad:

#21 ·
I have several moultries and have had this sme issue many times. They always took care of it for no charge. It was just too much hassle dealing with mailing it in and waiting and being without cameras on my operation. I went with the new Busnell trophys this year and have had great results so far (6 weeks, 10 cameras.) Battery life if phenomenal. Pictures are average unless you use the highest setting then they are better than Moultrie I40 or I60. Daytime pics are much better than the moultries in My opinion.

#25 ·
here is how I look at it. If I have to send my cameras in about once every 2 years to have the LCD's replaced. Then that means I'm getting another year out of them for $20 dollars. If I would purchase a new camera of comparable value to replace my I-40's, then I'm looking at it being 8-10 years before it would be a wash. The battery life alone of the I-40's is worth salvaging them. The 2 I have, I have been very pleased with. Sure, I wish the LCD's would last longer, but if $40 will get me 2 more years just like I have been getting, I have no quandery with that. Heck, nothing electronic lasts forever. In fact most things electronic are nearly obselete in 2 years in todays day and age.

#26 ·
i went to put my 2 i40's out today and couldnt read the display, so i took it apart and looked for obvious reasons but found noothing. after i had it all back together it still worked the same and just for s%@$s and giggles i rubbed the display screen LIGHTLY with my thumb until the letter distorted slighly and ill be damed it worked i can read it perfectly now. hope this helps.

#29 ·
When my cameras go bad I use them as "decoys"!
If they are gone or shot up I know I have trespasser problems!!!
I like to screw them to trees or posts in obvious places, like near my gates.
I also have signs posted saying "property is protected by video surveillance".
Sure keeps the neighbors wondering!

#30 ·
My i-40 screen went out this weekend. I emailed them and they emailed me right back with 3 options 1 if its under warrenty they will fix it, its not, 2 send it in for 39.99 and they will fix it, or 3 they will send me a lcd display for 14.99 thats what im doing because this camera has been awesome for 3 years and I cant beat the battery life!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.