Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Speed Fiend
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This should come as no surprise, as Troy F already did this test. But here's the result of a 0-40y test I did with my daughter this morning at the range.

Some things from this test that stood out to me:
  • Heavier arrows lose less speed (over 40y) vs lighter arrows
  • Heavier arrows lose less KE (over 40y) vs lighter arrows
  • A moderately heavy arrow (500-600gr IMO) seems to provide the most (initial) KE
  • With a lower poundage bow, the above is exaggerated
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Circle

Tripod Plant Natural environment Tree Wood

Registered
Speed Fiend
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the arrow near IBO weight yes. The lighter arrows seem to not be able to carry the same amount of energy through air resistance. Thus the lower FPS at 40y

Registered
Speed Fiend
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Curious since it's not mentioned, what was the tuning done for each arrow weight?
The only tuned arrow (for the EVL) was the 582gr. That being said, all 3 flew pretty well and nothing crazy is happening on paper at least.

For the Supra, the 403gr arrow was tuned

Registered
Speed Fiend
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have helped others with tuning that resulted in pins being moved at further distance. It's one thing to have a bullet hole at some distance in paper, it's another to really have shafts coming out perfectly.

Just saying a little wobble at the start can really effect the FPS down range.

Few years ago I did a similar experiment, except I had an optical chrono set at 65 yards, shooting with a shooting machine. I don't remember the difference being as much as your results are showing, interms of a percentage of retained FPS. But that's just pulling from memory, so I could be incorrect.
Yep, no doubt you could net some additional FPS that way.

To me, the largest factor is arrow weight. Only 11fps was lost from 0-40y with the heavy arrow. That's the biggest takeaway for me from this.

Will re-test out to 60y tomorrow

Registered
Speed Fiend
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Nice job. I did this test back in 2021.

You want to see what trajectory looks like. Go to page 6. and look at the sight tapes.

The one thing about using the LabRadar is you can also look at time in flight.

Don't forget when using the LabRadar, you need at least five shots per arrow. You want to shoot as far as possible and have the target at least 5 yards past your endpoint. Maybe 10 yards. So for 40-yard readings, you want to target at 50 yards. the reason is if the arrow is stopping close to what you want to read, it will affect the data. Also, the LabRadar does not pick up the arrow till about 13 yards. That means your 0-yard and your 10-yard readings are calculated. So the more readings you have, the more accurate the numbers will be.
Thank you Sir 馃憤

1 - 9 of 9 Posts