Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Athens vista 31, sword sight, victory arrows RF approved
509 Posts
Oh because the trajectory doesn't matter for overhead branch's till that giant 180-190 inch non- typical is standing there 1/4 ing away and your way slow New Breed eclipse won't clear that little branch you couldn't reach with pole saw.
Your not aiming for the moon I shoot TAW 620 grains at 27 inch draw and out of a Athens vista 31 and I keep my shots 30 and in I think that’s a good idea for anyone hunting woods if I where sitting over a food plot I would not have a issue reaching out to 50 the trajectory isn’t that drastic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only tuned arrow (for the EVL) was the 582gr. That being said, all 3 flew pretty well and nothing crazy is happening on paper at least.

For the Supra, the 403gr arrow was tuned
I have helped others with tuning that resulted in pins being moved at further distance. It's one thing to have a bullet hole at some distance in paper, it's another to really have shafts coming out perfectly.

Just saying a little wobble at the start can really effect the FPS down range.

Few years ago I did a similar experiment, except I had an optical chrono set at 65 yards, shooting with a shooting machine. I don't remember the difference being as much as your results are showing, interms of a percentage of retained FPS. But that's just pulling from memory, so I could be incorrect.

·
Registered
Speed Fiend
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have helped others with tuning that resulted in pins being moved at further distance. It's one thing to have a bullet hole at some distance in paper, it's another to really have shafts coming out perfectly.

Just saying a little wobble at the start can really effect the FPS down range.

Few years ago I did a similar experiment, except I had an optical chrono set at 65 yards, shooting with a shooting machine. I don't remember the difference being as much as your results are showing, interms of a percentage of retained FPS. But that's just pulling from memory, so I could be incorrect.
Yep, no doubt you could net some additional FPS that way.

To me, the largest factor is arrow weight. Only 11fps was lost from 0-40y with the heavy arrow. That's the biggest takeaway for me from this.

Will re-test out to 60y tomorrow

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Your not aiming for the moon I shoot TAW 620 grains at 27 inch draw and out of a Athens vista 31 and I keep my shots 30 and in I think that’s a good idea for anyone hunting woods if I where sitting over a food plot I would not have a issue reaching out to 50 the trajectory isn’t that drastic.
Your kidding yourself your putting the arch in archery.

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your kidding yourself your putting the arch in archery.
It’s not that bad I’m shooting from 20 plus feet up in a tree have you ever shot a 620 grain arrow it’s awesome

Reactions: Swampwise

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It’s not that bad I’m shooting from 20 plus feet up in a tree have you ever shot a 620 grain arrow it’s awesome
Yep I have it's a joke. I shoot 2712s with 300 grains up front. At 31" draw 57# 20 yds it feels like you can run down and catch the arrow. I shot 2419s deer hunting for a year. I was getting I believe 260-270 fps. Over 90 ft lbs if I remember. They sucked it was like shooting rainbows.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yep I have it's a joke. I shoot 2712s with 300 grains up front. At 31" draw 57# 20 yds it feels like you can run down and catch the arrow. I shot 2419s deer hunting for a year. I was getting I believe 260-270 fps. Over 90 ft lbs if I remember. They sucked it was like shooting rainbows.
I will respect your opinion but after a almost fail with a lighter set up I personally think heavy is the better option and I am shooting fine out to 50. Which is as far as I would ever practice. Due to vision.

·
The Impartial Archer
23,081 Posts
Thanks for posting that data Longbow.......so many people sight in a bow and shoot a 400 grain arrow and then a 500 grain arrow and look at the difference of the POI at a given distance (say 40 yards) and then conclude that is the difference they get in trajectory and it's not.

A lighter arrow will always shoot flatter for the ranges we shoot but comparing the REAL drop should be the goal when you start to decide what arrow weight you want to shoot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What's the point on a 90 lb bow. 280 is plenty for hunting.
Your daughters bow does need a bit of planning for different critters.
no offense here but the heaviest bow you can shoot accurately the less chance you'll have of losing an animal. Things happen in the woods, if your 60lb bow connects with an elk shoulder you probably aren't retrieving that animal whereas a 90lb bow has a much better chance of blowing right through it. 280fps might be enough but if I can do that with a 600gr arrow instead of a 400 I'll take that every day.

why is there always someone who hates on someone who shoots a heavy bow?

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
Nice job. I did this test back in 2021.

You want to see what trajectory looks like. Go to page 6. and look at the sight tapes.

The one thing about using the LabRadar is you can also look at time in flight.

Don't forget when using the LabRadar, you need at least five shots per arrow. You want to shoot as far as possible and have the target at least 5 yards past your endpoint. Maybe 10 yards. So for 40-yard readings, you want to target at 50 yards. the reason is if the arrow is stopping close to what you want to read, it will affect the data. Also, the LabRadar does not pick up the arrow till about 13 yards. That means your 0-yard and your 10-yard readings are calculated. So the more readings you have, the more accurate the numbers will be.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Thanks for posting that data Longbow.......so many people sight in a bow and shoot a 400 grain arrow and then a 500 grain arrow and look at the difference of the POI at a given distance (say 40 yards) and then conclude that is the difference they get in trajectory and it's not.

A lighter arrow will always shoot flatter for the ranges we shoot but comparing the REAL drop should be the goal when you start to decide what arrow weight you want to shoot.
It's not only the drop it's the arch.

·
Registered
Speed Fiend
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Nice job. I did this test back in 2021.

You want to see what trajectory looks like. Go to page 6. and look at the sight tapes.

The one thing about using the LabRadar is you can also look at time in flight.

Don't forget when using the LabRadar, you need at least five shots per arrow. You want to shoot as far as possible and have the target at least 5 yards past your endpoint. Maybe 10 yards. So for 40-yard readings, you want to target at 50 yards. the reason is if the arrow is stopping close to what you want to read, it will affect the data. Also, the LabRadar does not pick up the arrow till about 13 yards. That means your 0-yard and your 10-yard readings are calculated. So the more readings you have, the more accurate the numbers will be.
Thank you Sir 👍

21 - 40 of 63 Posts