Archery Talk Forum banner

.003" vs. .006"

580 5
Has anyone done objective testing of the same arrow specified as .003" straightness as opposed to .006" straightness? I have some Beman .003" ICS Hunters and am thinking of purchasing some Beman ICS Bowhunters at .006" instead. They're the same arrow, just sorted for straightness.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
22,130 Posts
BigAL -

IIRC a certain Mr. McKinney did some testing on runout a while back and said that arrows with as much as 0.010" runout would still group quite well (like within 3") to 50 yds (or meters). Sorry, I don't recall the exact details, but the bottom line, is if all other factors are equal, runout alone doesn't matter THAT much. Also don't recall the specs on weight or spine variation, but my guess would be that those parameters would be a little more critical.

Viper1 out.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tony, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Since I make up my own stuff, I'll spin them and fletch them such that the orientation is the same. I don't know if that will make a difference or not, but that's one parameter I can control! By the way, I got your book and it's excellent!

· Registered
745 Posts
Spine consistency makes a larger difference than straightness tolerances. Realistically the difference between .003 vs. .006 is very small. Certainly not enough for a barebow shooter to notice the difference.

Spine consistency is far more important to accuracy. Most reputable brands of carbons now are good but there are the odd shafts that don't match. I've taken boxes of expensive carbons, all of the same spine designation, and run them on a spine tester. Out of a box of 100 I'd get 10-15 that would be off enough push it into the next spine category (weak or limber). If you get the .006 tolerance arrows number each shaft and pay attention to flyers. If you get an oddball it won't be the straightness that will be causing it.

Oh, one other thing. When you cut the arrows to length cut off 1/4-1/2" from the nock end and the rest from the point end. Doing this will usually improve the overall straightness of the arrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.