Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting an '05 Vipertec riser, and it shows on the hoyt tune chart that is had the cam 1/2 adjustable. The problem I am having with this is, what cam is that exactly? Also, if the DL is adjustable, why do they show different string and cable lengths?

I will be building this bow for my uncle's friend and she is probably around a 25" DL, so I need to know exactly what cam to get for this, I would think the adjustable cam would cover the draw length range that it shows, but I just don't understand the different length's since it is adjustable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
10,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
www.hoyt.com/customer_service/hoyt_tune_charts.php

Click on 2005, then Vipertec XT 1000 for the Cam 1/2. Looks like a #2 base cam. Hoyt makes a family of 2-3" range adjustable cams.
That is where I went to get the info. I guess the real question I was after, which cam 1/2 am I looking for? The spirals are cam 1/2 and I know those are different.

If I were to post a WTB on here, would I just simply ask for a cam 1/2 with #2 base?

·
registered
1,028 Posts
v-tec

In '03 the cams were 'a,'b,'c, and then in '05 they called them 1,2,3, etc. Regardless an 'a is the same as a 1, a 'b is a 2 and so on. It just depends on the year. I have an 04 ultratech and have a 'c cam. The draw goes from 25 1/2, 26, 26 1/2 up to 28 by 1/2 inch increments, depending where it is set. I believe that the v-tec came out in '05 and would have the same riser as an '05 ultratec. The ultratec has xt2000 laminated limbs and the v-tec has xt1000 laminated limbs, which are a bit shorter. This makes the v-tec about 2 inches shorter axle to axle with the same brace height as the ultratec. The next size cam starts at 26 inch draw and goes by 1/2 inch increments to 28 1/2 inches.

There is an inner cam also and it needs to match the main cam. It may be black or green. The green ones have 75% let off and the black have 65% let off.

·
10,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info! What is the exact cam I would be looking for though?

·
registered
1,028 Posts
vtec

I have a short draw length. My arrows are 26 1/2 inches long from nock to tip and I am set on the 4th position on my cam (the d position) which is stated as a 26 1/2 inch draw length. Hoyt did measure draw length in the old standard IBO ( I thinK that is where it came from) and the draw length is measured from the nock point to a spot which is (I believe the number is correct) 1 3/4 inches in front of the back of the grip (where your hand contacts the grip); this is near the berger hole. Note this d refers to the cam position and is not the size of the cam. Again the draw length listed on the 04 tune chart is 26 and the module position is listed as c. This means that the draw length is 26 inches when in the c position and since I am in the 4th (d) position it is 26 1/2. If this doesn't help check back and I will look things up better.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well, on my wife's 05 VTEC (not the Viper you listed) her cams are #1 cams with the 65% letoff modules. Her cams run from 23-25 1/2".

The Spirals are a fixed drawlength cam. So you would need to find a cam that the tune charts spec for 25" WITH the XT 2000 limbs. The regular Cam & Half would need the XT 1000 limbs.

You would need the # 2 cams in the D slot to make the most speed out of it.

That VTEC makes 271 fps at 50 lbs and 25 1/2" draw at IBO! That smokes for a bow "only" rated around 305 or so. I'll bet the Vipertec would beat that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts