Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
IS IT BOW SEASON YET
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was shooting a guardian thru a chrono today and we where only gettin 285....Ontarget2 says that it should be right about 302....shooting a 390 grain arrow at 29in draw and 74lbs....loop peep and kisser on the string...why is the speed so far off any ideas?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Wow! I have no idea why but that's way off. I'm shooting a 60 lb, 29" DL with a 395gr arrow at 279 fps. I have a D loop and a peep only on the string.

Hopefully someone will be able to suggest some possible reasons for this.

hd

·
Registered
367 Posts
i know my chronograph is very touchy depending on how far away you stand from it, the further you walk back the slower the reading obviously. Mine works best when I stand one arrows length away from it while at full draw. just an idea

·
IS IT BOW SEASON YET
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know my chronograph is very touchy depending on how far away you stand from it, the further you walk back the slower the reading obviously. Mine works best when I stand one arrows length away from it while at full draw. just an idea
we did that and the speed really wasnt different...i also tried my q2xl and it was givin me 270 where ontarget2 said 288......is ontarget2 really that off

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
Maybe it's the chrono. Try another one.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,708 Posts
re

I was a little upset after I cronographed the 82nd airborn. I was only getting 285 out of it. I bought the bow and got some lighter arrows, some blazers instead of 4 inch vanes, and I think it is shooting better now. I have a 7o lb draw weight and a 28 inch DL.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would think the speed is close. Say it shot 310 to 312 with an IBO arrow and nothing added to the string.you either have a bow that peaks at 80lbs turned down to 74 or you cams are over rotated to make 74lbs. You will lose about 5 to 7 fps for the loop, kisser,and peep.and about 10 or more for the arrow weight being over 5grains per pound. Just curious to how you are getting 74lbs.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I am getting 302fps out of mine with a 368 grain arrow
70#@29".

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
right

was shooting a guardian thru a chrono today and we where only gettin 285....Ontarget2 says that it should be right about 302....shooting a 390 grain arrow at 29in draw and 74lbs....loop peep and kisser on the string...why is the speed so far off any ideas?
That is about right with the setup you described. You may get to 290 fps but that is about right. Your cables may be shortened a bit to get a few more pounds. Bends the limbs more etc.

MJ

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I would put it on a scale, I would think it is not at 74 pounds. Chrono could be off. Check your A2A and brace. Might give you clues.

·
IS IT BOW SEASON YET
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i checked it last night and i ended up getting 34 inches for the A2A which should be 33 3/4 and for the brace hieght im gettin 7 1/2 which should be 7 1/8 and for the draw length it's comin up around 29 3/4 which it should be 29....but the funny thing is....it looks like the cam's are breaking over at the sametime...and ever since we brought the bow home it has always shoot that speed and also has always been at that poundage...so now what do i do

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Have you scaled your arrows? No fletching contact?

·
IS IT BOW SEASON YET
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes i have scaled the arrows and there isnt any feltching contact.....but now my new question is hows come this bow is so out of spec....but still seems in time...and what do i do to fix it....do i just need to twist the cables and get it back into spec?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts