'09 Bowtech Captain
26" draw
62 lbs.
28" XX75 2216
125gr. field points
Wrist release
D-Loop
Ripcord rest

I set this bow up with the arrow slightly above 90 degrees and used an EZ-Eye laser to set up center shot.

When shooting bare shafts I get nock left every time. When I move the rest as far as it will go right (with the arrow almost against the riser) I still get nock left, although not as bad. I shot through paper with fletched arrows and I have nock left tears about 3" long. If I move the rest left it all just gets way worse.

I've dusted my rest and there is no evidence of contact from the fletching, and of course the bare shafts seem to be flying the same as the fletched arrows anyway.

My arrows seem to be spined correctly; at the most they're a bit over-spined. I've checked for nock pinch and I'm okay there.

I'm pretty much stumped at this point. Suggestions?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
'09 Bowtech Captain
26" draw
62 lbs.
28" XX75 2216
125gr. field points
Wrist release
D-Loop
Ripcord rest

I set this bow up with the arrow slightly above 90 degrees and used an EZ-Eye laser to set up center shot.

When shooting bare shafts I get nock left every time. When I move the rest as far as it will go right (with the arrow almost against the riser) I still get nock left, although not as bad. I shot through paper with fletched arrows and I have nock left tears about 3" long. If I move the rest left it all just gets way worse.

I've dusted my rest and there is no evidence of contact from the fletching, and of course the bare shafts seem to be flying the same as the fletched arrows anyway.

My arrows seem to be spined correctly; at the most they're a bit over-spined. I've checked for nock pinch and I'm okay there.

I'm pretty much stumped at this point. Suggestions?

Try raising your nock set 1/16" try it ,and then 1/8,adjust your rest back as close to center as possible.PURCHASE some athlete's foot spray , spray the whole shaft and fletching areas.You will see the mark on the shaft where the arrow stopped resting on the shaft.It should clear the rest about 3/4's of the way down the shaft.Make sure you look at the fletching to see if any of the spray has rubbed off from hitting the rest or cables.Good luck.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before I purchased the bow the dealer set it up with a WB rest and I shot it a few times. The arrows flew very straight, but they weren't my arrows. So, I know the bow is good to go and the problem must be with my rest/arrows. I suspect it's the arrows. I think I'll head back to the dealer and see if he can get it straight. Thanks for the suggestions.

· Registered
5,204 Posts
I am having the same issue (being a left hander I see tear right, tear right, tear right!!!). The bow shop made some improvement by reducing the amount of letoff on the bow (apparently the bow was set so that I was drawing too far past the valley). Like I said that helped some. I can get a fairly consistient tear with a bare shaft now (still problematic with fletched arrows). However, I still can NOT get consistient arrow flight. I shoot 64.5 lbs, 27.5" dl, 27.5" CX Terminator Lite Select (4560), 100 grain tip, and virtually every fletching known to man. I have fooled with the spine (chaning the weight on the front and/or back of the arrow) so that I have been from the soft side of soft to the stiff side of stiff. Same-ol-same-ol, no matter what. I'm wondering if the problem is me? On the other hand, I can shoot bullet holes with my Vectrix all day long?? I love shooting the Captain, however I am FRUSTRATED. Any advice or observations would be GREATLY appreciated.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tonight I removed the Ripcord and put on an HHA something-or-other I had lying around (not a dropaway). With the nock point about a quarter inch high I'm getting near perfect arrow flight. All I did was set the new rest level and used the EZ-Eye to set center shot. I won't have a chance to do any fine tuning this weekend but I'm on the right track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.