Archery Talk Forum banner

09 HCA Speed Pro - Short Review

2483 Views 26 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  mdewitt71
I've had this bow now for a little over a week and have been shooting it daily. Most of my observations/comparisons on this bow are based off my 08 Allegiance. The Speed Pro is currently set at 29" 70#. I ran it through the chrono shooting a 360 grain arrow w/ peep, silencers, and loop/nock and got an average speed of 351 fps!! My allegiance at the same specs is getting an average of 304 fps.

After shooting it a week or so I've had time to get a feel for it, at first the draw was fairly tough at 70# compared to my Allegiance, after about 20 or so shots I was pretty used to it and it felt pretty good. Some other things I noticed was that this bow has a ROCK SOLID wall, absolutely no give. It was also dead in the hand, I'm talking notably less vibration then my allegiance. It was also surprisingly quiet, I was expecting a lot more noise from this "speed" bow but was shocked when it made no more noise then my allegiance did. Lastly one big thing it had over the Allegiance is weight, its weighing in about a pound lighter then the allegiance fully rigged out with similar accessories.

The finish on this bow is immaculate, not a single flaw that I could find. The cutouts on the riser make it very neat looking and super light as mentioned above. The wood handle is also a nice touch, its super slim but fits nicely in the hand. The barnsdale limbs are also a HUGE plus in my opinion.

Over all I am incredibly impressed with the Speed Pro. I think HCA might be on the right track with these 09 bows, this ones got it all in my honest opinion. For those of you considering an 09 definitely consider HCA, don't let their past reputation fool you, they've got some sweet shooting bows!

Now for the pictures....... :wink:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,909 Posts
nice

i have an 80 pounder as soon as i get some money together I will have one. Also I am left handed.

· Registered
4,814 Posts
Grip

Have they improved on the grip since the '08 lineup? I owned an IM and really liked the bow but just couldn't get used to that horrible grip. By the looks of the pic it does look improved.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If those are actual speeds, that's INSANELY fast... Gotta be far and away the fastest bow on the market if those speeds are accurate. True IBO on your particular bow would be what, like 363? Hokey!
I believe advertised ibo is in the 350 area shooting a 360grn arrow. However the man i purchased this from ran it through and I believe got it up to 372 shooting 300grn arrow with bare string after tuning.

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Nice Rig. Im a old fan of High Country. Had the Sniper years ago...:darkbeer:

· Registered
4,814 Posts
So, I could shoot high 320's with my 27" DL? I know I read some posts on a earlier thread, guys worrying about the riser flexing because of all the cut-outs. Warranted or unwarranted worries? With my luck I'd end up getting the one bad riser that HC shipped out.

· Registered
866 Posts
i hate to be the one to raise the bs flag here on speed but it a 70 hitting that speed with that arrow just aint happining. i have an 80 speed pro yes i said 80 lber thats tuned by the best in the buisness shooting a true 29 1/8 amo draw 350gr arrow at 345 on three different chronos. that was with peep loop and no silencers. these bows are fast but after all the testing that iv done on mine and research on other speed forces id be willing to bet my bow that a 70lb 29 inch will not hit 351 with peep,loop and a 360gr arrow.:wink:

· Registered
223 Posts
i just cant believe this there is no way you lose 10 fps for 29 in draw 3 fps for 360 grain arrow not to mention the weight on the string it has to an ibo of at least 360

· Registered
2,225 Posts
i hate to be the one to raise the bs flag here on speed but it a 70 hitting that speed with that arrow just aint happining. i have an 80 speed pro yes i said 80 lber thats tuned by the best in the buisness shooting a true 29 1/8 amo draw 350gr arrow at 345 on three different chronos. that was with peep loop and no silencers. these bows are fast but after all the testing that iv done on mine and research on other speed forces id be willing to bet my bow that a 70lb 29 inch will not hit 351 with peep,loop and a 360gr arrow.:wink:
Dont be a hater man actually I was thinking the same thing. If I had one that fast I would put it in a glass case and charge admission to see it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.