Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Well guess if some one wants something bad enough.
And there is a will there will be away
So I took on the challenged task of making a 1/2 moon cam with a stud by hand.

If I had a CNC machine who knows [ Smile
Just wait till my Coffee grinder gets back from vacation.
And sees what I made on my own. With my own 2 little hands.:wink:

=============

Scott release ball mounted with a picture posted later [ Later

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello
This is a 3/4 inch ball.

I have found a way to have a 3/8 inch ball.
Ordered 50 brass balls today.And 2 foot of 1/2 inch round Delrin rod.
I have a 2 finger Stan release set up with this small ball. That I am punching baby Xes with.
I think release and ball. Has now shown me why we get so many rights and lefts. [ Later

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello
Little up date
Sent a proto type along with a drawing of same.
To a Tool and Die friend of mine. Having 50 made.

Guys I have couple boxes of releases.
And never using any one of these releases have I been able to just stand and pound baby Xes in the 10 ring.
The only lefts and right I have are on the inside of the 10 ring. at 10 yds.

Now what I am seeing while holding at anchor.
Is a very tight holding till the shot breaks. And when it breaks its straight away.
Where as my hinge head releases give at time of shot breaking.
And my solid hook releases never seem to have the same shot breaking point.

I have some top shooters in my area.That I am going to have them shoot with this ball.
And prove me wrong ha ha Seriously guys I have been at this game for many years. And I have never had any release to perform like the ball release.

Have a new way to attach the 3/8 inch ball to the threaded cam stud. Very simple with way less labor. U - C -
I am work brittle :wink: [ Later

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he's inserting the ball into the d loop but I'm lost from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
============

Hello
You are correct.
Now just think of this ball as a hook. The Stud cam is one unit that excepts the ball..
Remove your cam and put the Stud cam and pin back in and attach any size ball down to 3/8 " I have a smaller one than 3/8 " i am trying.
What ever you could do with a hook the ball will do the same. The ball pivots with the one piece 1/2 moon cam and stud. The same way he hook did.

? why the ball then one might ask. I am seeing performance from using the ball with the shot. That a hinge or solid hook release never gave me. And believe me when I say I shoot ever day off and on till bed time.
That's all I do in the winter time. For the love of shooting and the exercise.

U might say well he is just a old timer and that I agree with.
But I am not to old to know a good straight shot leaving a bow . When I shot before at a target face I would get 2 baby Xes out of 5 shots if lucky.
And now I see 4 or 5. baby Xes out of 5 shots. Yes its only 10 yards to the target face. But that hasn't changed. That's the same distance as before.

==========

I am trying to line some one up to make some camera shots.
Also I will post a drawing tomorrow of the new stud cam. That I am having 50 made.
Love to give a few out for some critics to try. But then after ordering 50to be made. I was told I would be liable for any accident.:sad: hun when you can't share.[ Later

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello
The Drawing of the Stud cam [ Later

Drawing drawled by G D B [ Unk 1- 27- 2016

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just looking at it I can't seem to visualize how it works, can you show me in a picture or little video?
=============

Hello
I have a counter offer for you. ha ha You make the movie with one. :wink:
Need a good crick. [ Later

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hey unk I'd be interested in trying one, I've got an old longhorn 3 lying around I don't use, best part is I'm not from the states so no liability issues there for you :) I can pay shipping of course

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey unk I'd be interested in trying one, I've got an old longhorn 3 lying around I don't use, best part is I'm not from the states so no liability issues there for you :) I can pay shipping of course

==============

Hello
Sounds like a Plan.You are :set1_thinking: I see. :wink:
Let me see how they turn out from the Tool and Die maker.
Going to try and have them case harden. Even tho steel or brass works just fine as is.
I have tried both. [ Later

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello
Little progress update.
Found a source for threaded brass balls.
Will that ever cut down on my lab shop work.

Ordered 4 sizes 1 /4" 3/8" 1/2" and 2 tapped 3/4" balls all balls are brass balls tapped .
The 2 tapped brass balls that are 3/4". Got's to :set1_thinking: of trying them as a thumb ball nob.
That I am real interested in trying. Have a stud cam with a ball and a thumb ball nob. Sounds good ha ha lets see how it turns out. [Smile

Here is a pic of a home made release body that I added a ball stud cam to.
Very nice frame release to make the shot with. [ Later

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello
Guys while I wait for my new stud cams to be made and my threaded brass balls to arrive.
I have been :set1_thinking: out of the box. [ Smile] .with this new idea.
So I drawled up a sketch using my paint program.

Guys if the Stud cam and ball turns out the way I think they will.
I will be ready to have this new design made. As you will see in the picture drawing,
My first designed Stud cam. Will now have a add on for other type releases.

That uses a allen set to hold the 1/2 moon cam pin tight.
This add on will allow for changing the angle height of the ball to the release body.
By turning a allen set bolt, [ Later

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

================

Hello All
And w8indq I think I have away for you to try one. Won't be adjustable. Several that I have made wasn't adjustable either. And they worked great.

Think I found away for not being liable .
Think I will just let you guys sue your self.ha ha :jksign:

Seriously I found away for you to try a ball. Just to get the idea how one performs.
My 3 sizes of balls arrived to day. There in the post office. Waiting to pick them up.
My stud cams I will call and check on them today.

Plan to up load some pictures today. Of this new way for some here to try a ball release.
My idea is this. And its very simple. Pictures that I post will explain it even more.
Remove the hinge head -pin- 1/2 moon cam and the allen set. [ Buy a longer allen set screw or use 2 allen set screw

And screw the allen back into the release neck. Now just screw a ball on to the allen set stud..
I am off to the post office [ Later

1 - 17 of 17 Posts