Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyone's thought on the optimal number of pins for your bowsight for hunting? (Where I hunt I do have shots over 20 yards)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I choose to use a 1-pin movable sight. However, most of the time I just set it at 28 yards just hold over/under slightly out to 35 yards.

·
Banned
4,379 Posts
3pin for my area

·
Registered
429 Posts
i have the seven deadly pin sight from spott hogg, i have the pins set from 20-80, i set my bow up for hunting out west, but here at home i use mainly the 20 and 30 yrd pins.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
I tried the 1 pin slider but wasnt a big fan, I now have a 3pin 20-30-40 for hunting (I add more for summer practice)

I would like the G5 XR that has 1 or 3 fixed pins and 1 slider, seems like the best of both worlds

·
Bent Not Broken
3,448 Posts
I have a 6pin, but only use 4 of them for hunting. 20-70 set.

·
Livin' in a van....
8,506 Posts
i'm a 1 pin fan. set it at 25 yards, and compensate from there. If a shot is gonna be 40+, i'm gonna have time to adjust it.
last night had a doe at 30 yards. Had to make a quick shot, so held my 25 a little high and drilled both lungs.

·
XX78 User
4,976 Posts
One pin for me. I typically leave it on 25 and rarely ever move my dial.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm actually a fan of both types (Single pin & Multi pin). The single pin is great for shooting at long distances(Antelope/Mule deer hunting) and it is also great for small targets (turkey). They allow you to shoot at further distances and dial in exact yardage for small targets.

Personally I think the multi pin sight is better for whitetail and hog hunting. It's good in those cases where you don't have to shoot out at far distances and sometimes, when they pop out of nowhere, you don't have time to adjust a single pin sight. Just my .02

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I have a 3 pin slider Tommy Hogg with my pins set at 25,35,55. Most of the time they never get moved for hunting only for 3d use.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I like the 5 pin fixed sight . Covers me from 0-60 yards , past that I don't need to be shooting.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,530 Posts
3 pins for me but I only use the bottom for longer range practice. I usually sight it in for 50yds. and shoot it from 40 out to 65. Once I start hunting, I crank the bottom one clear out of the way and sight the other two in at 25 and 35. I don't remember EVER using the longer pin but it's there just in case.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Depends on how far you have to practice. If you can only find 40yrds to practice, I don't see the
point in anything more then 3pins. If you have 80 get 7pins. I love 7. I practice out to 80 & it really
reveals all issues. Makes shooting at 60 no problem.

This is my preference, but if you go above 4pins, consider the .010. For me .019 past 30-40yrds is to
large. I like to pick a hair more then a general area. .019 @80yrds & your covering almost all the vitals
w/pin.

·
Regohio
18,326 Posts
I tried a 1 pin HHA...missed biggest Buck of my Life in Nebraska (Prob 170s maybe more?) due to not knowing what 25 yard setting would do at 41? You see...when I shot it 3D all that Summer I set it as I got to every target stake...then Buck walks off and stops at 41 yards...no time to adjust...I aim over his back thinking he was further away...well watching arrow fly over his back was very painful! 3 Pin for me!!!!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts