Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Padawan
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 2nd I beleive marks my 1-year post Op. Shot a crossbow last season for obvious reasons and did well.

Was a little bored this afternoon and I've been meaning to dig out my bow for my teenage son to practice on for hunting this fall. Pulled her out of the case, nocked a practice arrow and said, what the hell, pull and aim.

LIKE BUTTER. Couldn't beleive how easy and smooth pulling back was or even holding. WOW. 70# I think but will have to check. My back and shoulders muscles must be totally rehabilitated. Yes, I did physical therapy last fall but otherwise I've just been doing lots of bicycling during COVID. Haven't even hit the gym since early March. Been doing some light push ups for upper body strength is all. Prior to surgery last year my scapula area and tricep had atrophied bad.

Now I'm sorta excited about trying out the bow again. But that crossbow needs love too....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm post 3 months with my C3-4 fusion. Neck pain is GONE!!!. Can't wait to get my bow back in my hand. Dr. says wait at least 3 more months

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I need a C4 through C7 (4-level) fusion but keep putting it off as long as possible. Not sure how long I can keep putting it off though as pain is getting worse throughout my body with new areas popping up every day it seems. I just have no idea what life is like after a 4-level fusion........and then what happens if I need the ones above that or below that fused later on as well? And last year my lower back decided to throw in the towel as well on me, and now it feels worse than my neck and upper back.:mad:

Sounds like you guys have recovered well.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,772 Posts
all the scar tissue should be laid down and matured one year post op so everything should be good to go. glad you are able to jump back in!

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
7 1/2 years ago I had C5-7 fusions on 12/21/2012. I turkey hunted with a gun in april and was shooting my bow in may. I dropped the draw weight to 60# from 70 and worked my way back up to 66# and kept it there. I am having lots of pain right now running down my left arm, elbow, and to my last 2 fingers on the left hand. I am still shooting every day. I have disintegrated,herniated,and bulging discs in my lumbar sacral areas and in my neck and upper back as well. I'm looking at a series of surgeries in the not to distant future, but plan to bowhunt as long as possible, even using a crossbow if that's what it takes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
July 2nd I beleive marks my 1-year post Op. Shot a crossbow last season for obvious reasons and did well.

Was a little bored this afternoon and I've been meaning to dig out my bow for my teenage son to practice on for hunting this fall. Pulled her out of the case, nocked a practice arrow and said, what the hell, pull and aim.

LIKE BUTTER. Couldn't beleive how easy and smooth pulling back was or even holding. WOW. 70# I think but will have to check. My back and shoulders muscles must be totally rehabilitated. Yes, I did physical therapy last fall but otherwise I've just been doing lots of bicycling during COVID. Haven't even hit the gym since early March. Been doing some light push ups for upper body strength is all. Prior to surgery last year my scapula area and tricep had atrophied bad.

Now I'm sorta excited about trying out the bow again. But that crossbow needs love too....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I am 13 months out from lumbar Microdiscectomy along with a disk replacement of C-6/C-7. Throw in 4 years out from fusion of C-5/C-6. I solo Wilderness bow hunted last year for Elk with a 70# draw weight 4 months after surgery and felt OK strength wise. But I feel a ton better this year. At the age of 45 Strength is more a mindset I.M.O. then anything else. I dealt with the lower back issue for 20 plus years and can't believe I put off the Microdisectomy as long as I did. Age is only a number and we only have so many days we can take on those mountains. Good for you to pick up a bow again and start down that proverbial rabbit hole we all love.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts