Archery Talk Forum banner

10-12 fps

1044 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  dwagoner
I'm sure this has been on before, but how much difference in trajectory does 10 or 12 feet per second really make at say 40-50 yards?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
807 Posts
i got a invasion a few weeks back. been shooting it well but only at 67.5 pounds.. at 292.2 bumped the poundage up to 70 got 303 out of it, thats 11 feet per. and didnt nothice any difference untill i hit 50, even then i was just at the bottom of a 2.5 in dot.. so maybe 2.0 in at 50.. thats with a 340 grain arrow.. i said heck with it and turned it back down to 68

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
I've actually checked this and it just happened to be a day I was shooting well. I can't say for 40 and 50 yards, but I did shoot 35 yards and the difference in POI with a 15 fps difference was about 1 1/2". Obviously the faster arrow hit higher, but not worth the struggle with those extra pounds. And for the sake of arguement the actuall speeds were 290 and 305 fps.

· Registered
6,034 Posts
To get this extra speed you have to crank the poundage or adjust draw length or both, which will change your shooting. If your comfortable with where you are at, leave it alone.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No extra poundage, I'm just playing with 2 different arrows, about 35 grains difference in weight. Interested in the difference in trajectory. There's too much snow here to try them out!

· Registered
3,882 Posts
most the advice is pretty good. i would say you wont see much if you are shooting the same arrow at that much speed difference until you get past 35 yards. last yr i had same bow and arrow setup and increased the poundage 3-4 lbs and at 40 and 50 was hitting about 3 inches higher. i never chronoed my bow so i dont know how much faster i was shooting but i def did see a small difference. hope that helps

· Registered
113 Posts
No extra poundage, I'm just playing with 2 different arrows, about 35 grains difference in weight. Interested in the difference in trajectory. There's too much snow here to try them out!
http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_5.htm

Check that out, 60lb bowtech patriot (332 ibo). About 100gr to get 5 inches or drop at 30yds. So at 30yds, 35 grains is about 1.7 inches, probably double that at 50 yards my guess. This will vary accordingly with your bow specs of course.

· Registered
14,546 Posts
i dont think it would be more than 1.5" at 50 yds. i would stay with the heavier arrow since your dealing with 1 or 2 inches at best

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.