Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
WI Crossbow Bowhunter
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on lightweight socks that'll keep my feet dry?

I've used pure polypropylene since the late 1980's and they're looking kind of sad these days so I thought I'd see what's new and improved.

What are you wearing (afternoon/evening) for early season socks for warm weather hunting?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Merino wool...I gave up synthetics for good 2 yrs ago. No more static, odors are neutralized MUCH better, and comfort is at a premium. Easily washable as well.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I wear the merino wool in the winter for warmth even when sweating. I would think in hot weather I would wear light cotton socks If I had a sweat problem, I would first, spray my feet with unscented deodorant, anti-perspirant type. I've also used it for cold weather hunting.

·
WI Crossbow Bowhunter
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've worn Merino wool in cold weather for many years but not in September.

Cotton is designed to 'hold' moisture against your skin, just the opposite of what you want to happen inside your boots.

I was wondering if there is any new (modern) material that would outperform silk or polypropylene in warm weather?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Bob, my feet sweat in the winter, that's why I wear wool socks, yes the moisture is there, can't get rid of it inside rubber boots, but the wool still maintains some warmth when wet. In the summer if I wear nylon or poly socks, my feet will swim in my shoes if hot. Cotton will absorb the moisture as wool would but without the warming effect. I never have had your problem with warm hunting conditions. I guess if you have a long treck to your hunting area, I would suggest cool foot wear until you are close to your hunting area and then put on your heat retaining rubber boots if that is the case.

·
WI Crossbow Bowhunter
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

I usually end up going back to my polypropylene but I'll try anything new in terms of clothing systems. It's impossible to stay warm if you're wet. There's nothing worse in my opinion then arriving at your treestand with your shirt sticking to your back from sweat or having wet toes. Polypropylene stops this from happening.

I wear paper thin polypropylene underwear from head to toe and they keep me dry as a bone. I also have quilted underwear that I put on after I get to my stand. They're made by a company called Refrigiwear. I've had these same underwear for over 20 years and they're still in good condition. They're like wearing a sleeping bag, I wouldn't want to walk any distance in them or I'd be drenched. This is why I wait until I get there to get dressed. I pack all of my outerwear in to my stand site. Then I wait for my respiratory and my circulatory systems to catch up before getting dressed and going aloft.

This has worked well for me for decades.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Your welcome. I was tired of having freezing feet and researched socks. It was worth the research!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts