Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
It probably depends on what you are going for and how much arrow weight you want. Out here most hunting rigs are set-up for elk so the 125 grain is quite popular at least among the two groups I hunt with.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It probably depends on what you are going for and how much arrow weight you want. Out here most hunting rigs are set-up for elk so the 125 grain is quite popular at least among the two groups I hunt with.
I agree. I wanted to have an arrow around 430ish or so. I am looking for a speed/weight balance. I actually had to go down to 100s this year. Stiil playing around with it though.

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,690 Posts
I have had 100s for years....havent found any need where i need a 125....my speed is good...at 29" draw pulling 65lbs im shooting 290 fps with a 415 grain arrow...thats enough energy to hunt all game that ill ever get to so no need...and you also have to concider that going up from 100 to 125 will also change your arrow spine

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I use what ever shoots the best with the arrow I'm using. When I got some 400 Axis arrow I tried 80, 100 and 125 gr points and the 100 group the best of all of them with my set up. I think thats called tuning you arrow to the bow. You can do the same thing by changing the weight up or down on you bow. I like setting my bow at 70 lb and group tune to find with weight of point works the best for the size arrow I'm using.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Why don't more people use the 125?
:dontknow:

I prefer 125's, I get a little better FOC, speed isn't an issue, and it makes my arrows a nice even 500gr. However, the 100's that I have shot, shoot just as well out to 80 yards, so..........doesn't really matter, but I still prefer 125's. And sometimes you can pick them up for a LOT cheaper because everyone else wants 100's.:zip:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I use 125's for a little bigger cut with the steelhead explandables.. it also gives me a better FOC.. i fletch my 29" shafts with 4" feathers so i am about as heavy fOC as i can go... i get great arrow flight...i think most guys use 100's to keep the weight down on their arrows... my arrow and broadhead comes out to 360 gr the way i have them done up.. just the right balance for max speed and K/E...JMO

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Becuase they have been spoon fed usually from early on from when they first started archery that speed means something.

Only advantage to a lighter point is more speed....but again...how much speeed does a person need?

I'm at 220 fps and am by no means a great yardage guesser.....but for my max range on whitetail, which is 35 yards or so, it works fine....and is very forgiving.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking a long the lines of,more weight,quiter shot.I know from early on,I was told to use 100 grain.I never give it much of a thought till now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Im currently prepping/practicing for my Sept bull elk hunt here in Arizona. 125's are attached to my arrows! ;)

Once Im tuned, I don't mess around with the set up. My focus is then turned to practice, practice, practice.

I live by this:

-Spend your time with quality practice rather than playing with your equipment. You are only making excuses for yourself if you keep changing your bow because you don’t shoot well.-Jim Sherman

·
Registered
995 Posts
I am shooting a 460 grain arrow this year for elk. I decided I wanted better penetration. I always carry a range finder, just use it :D A 125 grain w/ Victory V1 arrows are a perfect match for my bow in regards to spine. Now, just need to decide which BH to use, the Strikers or Slick tricks. May the testing begin!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I tried the lighter and faster route and I'm now back to using a heavier setup which includes 125 gr. BH's Speed might help your score on the 3-D range but for hunting the heavier setup works much better. If you will shoot 6 grains per lb. you will be amazed at how much quieter your bow is. By some standards that is still light but most people want to shoot the minimum 5 grains per lb.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's not always about the speed. 125s change the spine enough on my setup that broadheads hit to the right, with 100s broadheads and field points have the same POI and tighter groups

1 - 18 of 18 Posts