Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Probably should have said hello first but, I've written a few reviews posted on archery talk but never used this platform. I live in Auburn Hills, Michigan and started bow hunting 4 years ago, and have given up pretty much every other activity.

I'm shooting a Browning illusion set at 64 pounds and using easton axis 400 arrows. I've shot 125 grains broadheads the last few years, should I be using 100 grain?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Tip weight...

Good afternoon, Naermiller,

The main reason to adjust tip weight should be to correct or adjust your arrow's Front of Center, not necessarily to increase knockdown power. If your arrow is already fairly front-heavy, adding a heavier tip will only make it drop faster, and depending on your current arrow spine can actually cause it to be underspined (weak, too flexible). Some people will use 125-gr heads because they would find one with a larger cut, for example, but that shouldn't be the only reason. Just my honest opinion, I'm sure not everyone shares my thoughts on that.

I personally shoot a 125-gr tip, but that's because my arrows (340 Axis) @ 27.5" with 70lb. of draw weight and a draw length of 29" fly the best with a 125-gr. tip. At 100, the 340 shaft is a bit too stiff.

I hope this helps, take care and best of luck in the upcoming season.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the help. This is only my fourth year bow hunting and I'm leaving Michigan a few times for Illinois and Ohio this year so I want to be ready.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any particular 100 grain broadhead anyone could recommend? I had several doe permits last year so I tested g5's (which were great), and hypershock 125's (I killed my first mature buck with the hypershock, which did massive internal damage, but with no blood trail. I stumbled across the deer 30 yards from my stand though).

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Honestly...

You'll find mixed reactions regarding the Hypershock here on AT. Those who love it say there's so much damage done internally the game falls in sight; and the thing that those who love it tend to agree with the haters is that there is no pronounced blood trail if a pass-through is not achieved.

My personal experience after having used these for a couple of years is that they're the most accurate broadhead I've ever shot, and especially now with their new Xbow the package is really tight and flies EXACTLY like a field point. I understand that the head cuts massively inside with little energy, however, it's my finding that you have to have a significant amount of energy to push through the 'back wall' with the 125. Now don't get me wrong, when you do it looks like the set of a horror movie, but that's just my opinion based on two years of use. For the record, I'm an engineer and I love the design of these heads, and more importantly, I can appreciate the way Aftershock is toiling diligently to address practically every historical flaw in mechanical broadheads. Although I don't quite concur with EVERY one of the arguments they present, I really like these heads, and I especially like the new Xbow heads. I only wish that the regular 125 Hypershock blades had sharpened trip levers. (I'm tired of having to do it on my own!lol)

For you, I think you would have plenty of success with the 100-gr. Hypershock. Another head that you might try is the Rocky Mountain Snyper. Since it's release I don't think I've heard 1 negative thing about it. For that matter, the Aftershock Xbow 100-gr head has about the same cut as the Snyper.

I hope this helps...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts