Archery Talk Forum banner

101st airborne help!

1045 Views 19 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  808skindiver
well i timed and synced the cams perfectly, set the draw stop for perfect letoff and set the perfect draw length. (pretty easy tuning process) everything should be perfect right? well it seems my top cam leans alot more than my bottom cam. so my cable for my top cam rubs my mod and full draw causing my serving on the cable to ware down. on the bottom i dont have this problem. just on the top cam. i dont know what i should do. any help? thanks
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
What mods do you have on it? My brother had the exact problem with the smooth mods on his 101st. Same symptoms and everything as yours. Couldn't figure out why, until I looked at the mods. they were completely different looking then the other set, but with the same #'s on them! Go figure....... We switched them out and it's worked perfectly ever since. I don't know what Bow Tech is doing, but with the SM's that were on it to begin with, the cable would rub on the "lobe" part of the mod and make a "click" noise at full draw. Plus, the top of the upper cam would lean way to the left.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
Yeah I know....... I have smooth mods on my 82nd that "aren't supposed to work" too. But they've worked perfectly since the day I put them on. But I swear, the top SM that was causing all the trouble looked nothing like the top SM that we replaced them with, even though they were stamped with the same #'s. Just go check for yourself. But iIwould swap out the mods and I'll bet it works. Let me know because so far his bow is the only one I know of (other than possibly yours) that had this problem.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
The smooth mods will have a "SM", but unless you specifically ask for them, you probably have the speed mods. I do believe that there are specific SM's for the 101st but not for the 82nd. I used the SM's from an Allegience on my 82nd and they're still on working perfectly. I'm at work right now and don't have access to my Bow Tech Mod chart so I don't know the numbers off hand. Check your mods and see whats on them. But before you do anything else, just put another set on and see if it helps. Like I said, the mods that we replaced them with were still SM's but were a very noticably different configuration.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
QB are the speed mods. It that what's on your bow now? Either way, it's simple to just change them out with another set to see if that fixes it before you start tinkering with anything else. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it works.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
I'm not saying to get the SM4.5. That will just give you a smooth draw and you'll lose about 10 fps. I'm just saying to have your shop install another set of mods with the same type you have on it now and see if that takes care of the problem. If it does, it's an easy fix. I didn't bother to call Bow Tech and ask them why two of the same mods for the same bow had the same numbers but looked totally different (but both were smooth mods). One set made the top cam lean and a click noise at full draw, (but the bow still shot perfectly), and one set with the same numbers took care of the top cam lean and got rid of the click noise from the cable rubbing against the other mod. I'm not really sure what Bow tech is up to. Some of the 82nd's and 101st's have string silencers and some don't. Some have a metal "cable stopper" (for the lack of a better tern) behind the rollers and some don't. Some have two different length limb bolts and some don't. Some have string silencers on the cables and some don't. I don't know what gives. Just try switching out mods first and see what happens.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that sounds good. ill call the dealer tomorrow. my bow is doing exactly what your is doing. also at full draw should the cable set snugly in the mod or is it ok for it to be a little out of the mod. like 1/16 - 1/8 inch out? thanks

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
The cable should fit nicely into the groove of the mod so that it's parrallel and even all the way down. After you get back from your shop, shoot me a PM and let me know how it turned out. I'm curious to know. good luck!

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm right now my cable is a little outside of my mod at full draw. can i fix this without messing up the valley and DL? my DL and valley are set perfect for me right now. i usually tweak with the draw stop alot in until i get it feeling good.

· Registered
7,766 Posts
well i timed and synced the cams perfectly, set the draw stop for perfect letoff and set the perfect draw length. (pretty easy tuning process) everything should be perfect right? well it seems my top cam leans alot more than my bottom cam. so my cable for my top cam rubs my mod and full draw causing my serving on the cable to ware down. on the bottom i dont have this problem. just on the top cam. i dont know what i should do. any help? thanks
I had this happen on my 82nd, only mine was on the bottom limb.
It sounds like you need some different limbs if the cams lean enough
to have the cable rubbing the module. After my limbs were replaced
I haven't had any problems since. The bow shoots great.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
I had this happen on my 82nd, only mine was on the bottom limb.
It sounds like you need some different limbs if the cams lean enough
to have the cable rubbing the module. After my limbs were replaced
I haven't had any problems since. The bow shoots great.
At first I did think that the top limb was cracking so I told my brother to stop shooting it until we got new limbs. A week later we replaced both the limbs (before swapping out the mods) on my brother's 101st and still had the top cam leaning. Then 2 minutes later after changing limbs, we swapped out the mods and the lean and click noise were gone. So, I was thinking that it wasn't a limb problem. But I suppose it could have been a combination of both. Either way, the SM are on and it's shooting fine. In fact, I know of 3 82nd's and 5 101st's right now that have SM's on them and they've been shooting perfectly.

· Registered
2,387 Posts
My experience

When I tried the smooth mods on my 101, it slowed it down by 12 fps, didn't make it any easier to draw, and threw my tune way out ( had to move rest in ), so I removed them, lowered the lbs to 65, retuned, and haven't looked back. If you look at smooth mods, you can see the angle for the cable contact on an allegiance. The 101 is longer, and string won't hit grove properly, which causes cam lean to be worse. I would contact dealer for 2 things. Try swapping top and bottom limbs around ( sometimes it works ), or have them get a new set period.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well instead of trying to fix my cam lean problem i just went out and shot it. well i tuned it up and it shoots a bare shaft prefectly straight. i think bare shaft tuning is the fastest and simple. my grouping at 20 yards... well smashing arrows. i called my shop and if anything gets messed up with the bow warranty will fix it so im happy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.