Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are 10x56 binos that weigh 40oz too big for general use and wearing on a bino harness? I am looking at the vortex vulture 10x56 hd?

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
You can do it, but they will start hanging down towards your belt after a short while. 10x42 actually stay where they are supposed to, 10x50 are even kind of heavy (I had the Vultures), so it can be done, but not exactly comfortably either.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
You can do it, but they will start hanging down towards your belt after a short while. 10x42 actually stay where they are supposed to, 10x50 are even kind of heavy (I had the Vultures), so it can be done, but not exactly comfortably either.
exactly....

10x56's are a great but I wouldnt be doing any hiking with them on my harness. 10x42 is the perfect glass IMO.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Don't know what kind of glassing you do but quality 10 X 42's used with a tripod will reach a LONG way. Good luck with your search.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Don't know what kind of glassing you do but quality 10 X 42's used with a tripod will reach a LONG way. Good luck with your search.
You are correct, the only reason in my opinion to go to 56mm would be to use a 15x bino. While my 10x42 Razors are nice on a tripod, they don't compare to the 15x50 Vultures when it comes to glassing across a canyon, looking 2-3-4 miles away. Stuff I miss with 10 power, is easily seen with 15 power binos. That being said, I find it very hard to use the 15 power without using the tripod.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
You are correct, the only reason in my opinion to go to 56mm would be to use a 15x bino. While my 10x42 Razors are nice on a tripod, they don't compare to the 15x50 Vultures when it comes to glassing across a canyon, looking 2-3-4 miles away. Stuff I miss with 10 power, is easily seen with 15 power binos. That being said, I find it very hard to use the 15 power without using the tripod.
Heck...even 12x can be tough with out a tripod with a little wind. It gives me a headache trying to hold them steady enough to concentrate

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on getting s tripod eventually and using these as my only piece of glass. I don't have a spotting scope so the binos I get will have to do it all for now

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
I have yet to find a single pair of binos that fits the bill for all situations, but 10x42's are hard to beat for "most" situations. I'll tell you what though, once you start using 15's.......it's hard to go back to 8's or 10's. Having said that, I will have my Kahles 8x32's with me this year. For archery elk, I find that most of my glassing is in the timber.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've heard good things about Razor HD's. You might consider picking up some Swaro SLC's used. Swaro will recondition them for pocket change <$200. Probably should call to verify 1st. You'd end up with "new" Swaro's.

·
120 CARP
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've got a pair of Vortex 10X50 Razors and they are a bit large to wear for long pack-ins. They bounce around alot on my chest due to the long barrels. I'll be using my 8X32 Swaro's this year so I hope the elk are vocal so my glassing is at shorter distances.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
FYI

ALPEN optics has a new bino harness out with really wide straps, there like 1.5in and vs my crooked horn there much stronger straps!! i got a set from owners to try out and there prolly the best bet for heavier binos to give extra support, thier made like all others just larger width straps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts