Archery Talk Forum banner

$131.00 DIY bow press

31494 257
Just finished up my backyard bow press, looks a lot like others that are on here so no new inventions here just a 360° rotating press. This press will do from 24 inch to 51” inch axle to axle. Welding required As well as machine work to make the fingers but it was a good 3 evening after work project. I installed the 2 in.² tubing legs pointing down so that I could use either bench mounts or floor mount that slides up into them and then added the rotisserie pipe on the back so it could be mounted three different ways.Hope it encourages others to save some money and do their own.. Machine Moulder Tool Table saw Table saws
Machine
Yellow Vehicle Construction equipment Tool
Machine Tool accessory Tool Machine tool
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no trailer jack .... bought a 36"long 3/4" -6 acme threaded rod and 2 nuts ... ----very inexpensive .....

the handle, $12.69
acme rod, $12.99
. 2 nuts, $5.04
flange bearing assembly $10.90

all brand new parts - $41.62 total ....
prices include shipping ... all came from EBAY

also :
steel from local welding shop.$40.00
scrap block of 1/2" aluminum for fingers $5.00
8-1/2" steel shaft collars $16.00
plastic-dip for fingers $7.00
brass knurled set screws $$11.00
paint $6.00
4 springs $4.00
grand total of $131.00 and I don't have to drive to a bow shop now to work on bows .....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just drilled a hole in the wheel , and rod .. threaded the hole on the bottom half of the wheel and threaded a 1/4" socket head bolt thru the rod into the wheel .. then the spare nut screws on to the rod , up against the handle ...I figured it would be easier to remove a bolt if I ever needed to remove the handle ,than drive out a roll pin or equivalent ...

·
Certified Flatlander
Xpedition Archery
3,850 Posts
block,

What size was the square tubing if you don't mind? Large and small. The two that slide together.

Very nice job!

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the square tubing is 2" -3/16" wall and 1 1/2"- 1/8" wall..... the main section and legs are all that is 2", the inner sliding tube and both of the finger support tubes are 1 1/2" .... both of the main tubes are 30" long ... , the finger support tubes are 6" and 7 5/8" long ..

just a few evenings after work with the welder and it was done .... glad I did it ... it will come in handy with 6 bows ..lol

draw board is next ...

·
Certified Flatlander
Xpedition Archery
3,850 Posts
the square tubing is 2" -3/16" wall and 1 1/2"- 1/8" wall..... the main section and legs are all that is 2", the inner sliding tube and both of the finger support tubes are 1 1/2" .... both of the main tubes are 30" long ... , the finger support tubes are 6" and 7 5/8" long ..

just a few evenings after work with the welder and it was done .... glad I did it ... it will come in handy with 6 bows ..lol

draw board is next ...
Ok thank you! I have been wanting to build something like that, just was not sure about the sliding portion, if it would be too sloppy inside the larger tube.. I have access to everything needed (within reason) as far as material, and can purchase the other parts through McMaster Carr.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the fit inside the large tube isn't a tight fit ... I couldn't find any 1 .75 tube ... I followed the guides of several different people on here who built presses , and we all had to plug weld a piece of metal inside the end to make the fit tight .... (do it on 2 sides ...) just decide how tight you want it to fit , I believe the pieces I used were about 4 inches long and almost 1/8" thick ...1 guy used teflon , but I used steel .. trial and error , ... good luck

and don't forget , after you have moved the sliding tube end over and up a touch with the shims .... move the plate you welded on there to bolt the bearing carrier to , over and up the same amount to keep the rod perfectly straight .....

as far as welding the 3/4" -6 nut into the end of the 1 1/2" tube ,(end closest to the hand wheel) , you can just grind down 2 flats a little and it will fit nicely in the tube for welding ...

and ALL the parts I bought off EBAY were cheaper than McMaster-Carr , I always use MC , I have a rotating account with them .. but money is better in my pocket than theirs ,,..

·
Certified Flatlander
Xpedition Archery
3,850 Posts
Which size rod did you use? I see McMaster has a 4 ft piece of ½" for 12.00. May go with a 6 ft piece and cut it down as needed - just in case.

Appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 258 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.