Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Depends on genetics...but I would think it should be older....but .......

·
XX78 User
4,953 Posts

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
I read the majority of B&C class bucks are 3.5 years old. Thats why I always laugh when peiople say they wont shoot a 3.5 yo buck.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Milo Hansen buck was 4.5

·
XX78 User
4,953 Posts
I read the majority of B&C class bucks are 3.5 years old. Thats why I always laugh when peiople say they wont shoot a 3.5 yo buck.
I'd shoot a 1.5 if it looked like that!! LOL

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a friend that shot a 200" gross buck 2 yrs ago that was 3.5 yr old (guess by wear). My taxi shot a 201" gross 4 years ago that was 3.5 yr old, this by removing the tooth and really aging by a lab. It is possible, genetics and good food is all it takes.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
All about genetics....don't remember year but Lakosky's had a 2.5/3.5 that was pushing 200. Have on film Tiffany passing him at around 20 yrds...unreal

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
All about genetics....don't remember year but Lakosky's had a 2.5/3.5 that was pushing 200. Have on film Tiffany passing him at around 20 yrds...unreal
That right there boys and girls is why its stupid to pass a deer because of age. Just my humble opinion of course.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The skeletal structure of deer is not completely grown until after 4.5 yrs of age. So nutrition (calcium etc) is split between skeletal growth and antler development. Which is why you see the large jump, in most cases, between a 4 and 5 year old buck. Most people know this. Having said that, will I pass a 180" buck that I know is 3.......ummm highly unlikely. So unlikely it wouldn't happen. I will not shoot a 150" 3yr old, but there are slim odds a 180-200" Buck will walk past me without me attempting to put an arrow in him.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I always found that amusing also. It's also always made me wonder if the deer that guys on here claim are 4.5 and older are really that old.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Well I was gonna say it's definitely possible, but toothwear is not an accurate way to tell age.

I still wouldn't rule out that possibility though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You should have no reason to doubt a deer's age because it has large antlers.. if that is the case, you need to take aging classes :)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts