Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally in the window of opportunity to make the leap and get my first bow. A very long time coming, but as excited as I am I still want to take my time and make sure I make the right choice. I'm really seriously looking at the Bear Archery "Strike" package deal. The price I'm looking at is around $420 which includes Trophy Ridge quiver, whisker biscuit, three pin Trophy ridge sight, Trophy ridge stabilizer/sling, string loop, peep, and four carbon express arrows. The price is right in the perfect spot for my budget (need to get my self a release) and I really cant find anything with the same price that offers that much in extras. BUT, is this a bow that I'll feel like upgrading from in just a couple years, is it a bow that won't hold up over time? I just want a bow I can get with the right price AND still have a good time target shooting/hunting with years down the road without that nagging need to upgrade, or even worse, have a bow that basically sucks after a couple seasons.

·
Registered
789 Posts
It's an ok bow....I upgraded within having it for less than 6months. Killed a bunch of deer last year and all pass threws.

Mines for sale for $300TYD...
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1568263

If you got a little more $$$ there are plenty of great bows for sale here. Could also get a Rampage XT for around $600 brand new from a Hoyt dealer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I remember seeing your post on there, but I was really hoping to pick one up with all the needed extras, sight, rest, quiver etc...
Yours is a great looking setup though, basically exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Will tell you one thing... 2011 Bear Carnage LH bows have to be returned to the factory due to improper assembly. ~So that tells you they're not tested for proper basic operation after they are built. (Brand new, right off the shelf the lower cams rub the cables at ~1/2 draw. 200 shots and they're "eating" the plastic coating.)

According to Bear, it's a spacer alignment issue.....

I sure love the way the bow shoots & feels though..... Now if only I could get mine back from Bear before the season begins.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Kris Brokenlimbs is correct that there was an issue with LH carnage this year but imo this is a bad representation of the quality of bear products. The assembly issue is being appropriately addressed as it should be. I have shot bear bows for years and have had nothing short of great experiences with all of them. I currently shoot the attack which has more than lived up to its reputation. The strike is a middle of the road bow that still shoots relatively quickly and is pretty smooth. It does not boast the top speeds as many of the advertised bows but it is more than enough bow to do anything you need it to do (unless your planning on hunting african giants that is). As far as your question "will i need to upgrade a couple years down the line"? the answer is absolutely not. That's not to say that the technology used today won't be improved upon and you won't WANT to upgrade, but this is a common feeling among many of us :) I have one friend that shoots the charge and another that shoots the strike as well. both have had no problems and no complaints. There are better bows out there but for the money, i believe bear offers one of the best values available. Above all that though, bear's customer service is some of the best I have ever dealt with. I have called them on many occasions over the years and they have always gone above and beyond. I won't go into details about that here but if you'd like some specifics feel free to pm me and I'll let you know how far they were willing to go to help. imo yo won't regret that purchase.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
If you check here you will find a complaint on every bow...

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
If you check here you will find a complaint on every bow...
No doubt.... But it doesn't excuse any manufacturer from notifying customers of known safety issues. (as was the case here)

There will be a day when some customer is injured, and an attorney sues a major bow manufacturer right out of business due to "gross negligence."
(I'm not specifically implying this is a case of gross negligence here. But an assembly issue (affecting safety) was known by Bear. And for whatever reason, my dealer was not aware.) ~Regardless, the issue was serious enough that the entire bow had to be returned for service / update / repair...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've been shooting a 2008 Bear Lights Out that I got brand new about a month ago (it was a left over). It's the best bow I've ever shot. Smooth, accurate, and very quiet, I've used Bear, Parker, PSE, Martin, and Mission in the past. The Bear Lights Out is easily the best. The Martin Bengal was good too but I like the Bear better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I shot the lights out for two years, and the only reason I switched (signature) was because I wanted a faster bow. The new bear bows are great. Honestly, for your first bow it's not about which specific manufacturer, but which bow feels right. Most everyone has their loyalties, but if you want a true honest answer you need to trust your own feelings when trying a multitude of different brands, models, and set-ups. It's all about what feels best to you. There is a lot more involved then just picking a bow off the shelf purchasing. I tried Mathews, PSE, Parker, and Diamond before I settled for the Bear Carnage. So try them all out and then make your decision. By doing so will help you decide if you're going to want a new bow in a year, or if you've found a bow to last 20.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, a lot of what was typed in here is about what I was expecting and hoping to hear. I've shot the charge in the shop and it did feel good. I was very comfy with it and fairly accurate (all considering my first time behind the strings in YEARS). I guess what I was really hoping for was a good voucher for the brand, I just didn't want to go with it not knowing anything about 'em. Thanks to all ya for the responses. I greatly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a Truth 2 here two years ago, one of the string suppressor arms was slightly bent and didnt match the other one. I sent Bear an email and I had a new suppressor arm and two new rubber suppressors free of charge at my house in a week.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought a Truth 2 here two years ago, one of the string suppressor arms was slightly bent and didnt match the other one. I sent Bear an email and I had a new suppressor arm and two new rubber suppressors free of charge at my house in a week.
I've found that this is the type of customer service you can expect from them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, a lot of what was typed in here is about what I was expecting and hoping to hear. I've shot the charge in the shop and it did feel good. I was very comfy with it and fairly accurate (all considering my first time behind the strings in YEARS). I guess what I was really hoping for was a good voucher for the brand, I just didn't want to go with it not knowing anything about 'em. Thanks to all ya for the responses. I greatly appreciate the help.
I too was able to try a bunch of bows before settling on the Bear Carnage. Bear Archery has come a long way in the last few years. I've also heard nothing but positive things about their customer service if it's needed.

As far as wanting a new bow in a few years or months? Only you can answer that one. All depends on how much you get into it. You are more than fine with the Strike or the Charge for that matter, just depends on budgets and wants in my opinion. Get a Bear, you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I say save just a little more and look into the Bowtech Assassin. It has a complete package and is ready to go hunting excluding your arrows. The Assassin is probably one of the most underated bows because of the price tag.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a strike a year ago and have to say you get what you pay for. I bought it because I was getting back into bowhunting and I was getting my girlfriend into it as well and didn't have the money to get something nicer. With that being said I have had a lot of string issues with mine. The string has not broke but it is still stretching. I have had the bow brought back into specs twice now. Also have some trouble with peep rotation. I would say if you buy a strike get an aftermarket string for it and you should be more than happy with it. Other than the string issue with mine I have been fairly happy with it. I am planning on upgrading very soon, but I am also very picky.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Broken limbs im just courious as to what bow you shoot ?

Jubei, I think he said he was on a tight budget. I think Bowtech is way overrated as are other BIG brand names. Don't get me wrong they make a nice bow. I just think alot of bows you pay for the big name. Like said on here before all bows have their problems just like bowtechs invasions limbs losing there finish. I shot alot of bows before purchasing my Carnage. For the money and all I got it was worth it. You'll be happy with the Bear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a couple thoughts to the strike. I bought mine back in June of this year. I love mine but it hasn't been without a few problems. The string was actually being pushed out a little by the string suppressor, instead of the 1/16th in gap, and sometimes would land completely to the side of it after a shot. Called Bear and the guy I spoke with said he had heard about this before and without hesitating asked for my name and address to send me a replacement set. Now for the down side regarding the spacing, which I'm still kinda disappointed with. He said to either bend the suppressor arms or file down the end of them to achieve the correct spacing. I've read other posts where this has been done and fixed the problem. Just something to keep an eye on if you are planning on buying new. Still i am very pleased with this bow and cant wait to be able to get it into the woods! Good luck on finding a bow!

·
Registered
100 Posts
i shot an instinct for 3 years and loved it pretty smooth draw shot good and pass threws on every deer never had a single problem with it and kinda wish i never sold it. i did put a sts on it which made all the difference in the world but the newer ones have there own, hope this helps with your decision

·
Registered
619 Posts
i almost got the strike but found an 10 Assault on here for a great deal. VERY good shooting bow IMO and super quite. I could not be happier with the bow...only issue i had was the string suppressors where worn so i called and they sent me 4 more the next day for free. I have seen some on here bash Bear that it is not on the mathews or hoyt level of quality but i assure you they make a fine bow and you will find a ton of people that agree with that. Dont get caught up in the name on the bow, if you like it and it fits all the needs you have and shoots good in your hand then go for it. I know 3 other buddies that shoot different Bear bows and all have nothing but positive things to say about them (one does shoot the strike which is why i was going to get that one at first)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts