Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys and I are doing our first plot here in Indiana tomorrow. This winter the farm was logged and the loggers took all the fields(4) down to dirt. We spread lime then with the intent of planting in the spring. Didn't happen. So now the weeds are back up. The plan is to bushhog, till, some fertilizer, and then seed. We bought several different types of Gander Mountain brand seeds. Does anyone know if they are any good? Anyway, we've got a fall blend, soybeans, clover, and about 30 packages of different lettuces and turnips. All and all we plan to do about 5 acres of the 230 in four main plots. Does anyone have any last minute suggestions?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would forget the beans. Planting them this late, the first couple frosts will be hard on em. Clovers wont get that great of a stand this late, but they will grow. Your best bet will be some wheat, oats, etc. and barasicas(rape,turnups,etc.) The deer will hammer the wheat and oats when they are young and tender, then after a few good frosts, look out, cuz your barasicas will get devored. Clover is more expensive than wheat and oats, and clover is a lot more touchy to conditions. I would wait to plant your clover in the spring. You can plant it now, and you will have a great stand come up this spring, but for hunting purposes I wouldnt go with it now. I do some early season plots on the outter edges of my property with the wheat and oats, even some turnups. Then I do barasicas in honey holes. I dont like to penetrate my property until around halloween. By then you would have had a few good frosts(which make your barasicas irestable to deer), and you will have does that are not pressured feeding in em, then some bucks scent checking them. That equals some great hunts. Barasicas are awsome for small plots also cuz they provide so much tonage. Whenever I tried clover in small plots it would always get over grazed, which is fine becuase it will keep growing, but it never provides a lot of food. You will faint when you see how big barasica plants get. The cool part is when the heavy frosts hit and everything is getting nasty, you turnups,rape, and kale will get punished. Jeremy

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I agree.........brassicas and wheat are good choices.

This is three weeks growth of Tecomate UltraForage (brassicas). The deer love this stuff after a hard freeze. The UltraForage is ringed with wheat so the deer will have something to eat in late season when they've mowed down the brassicas.

This is another plot showing 2 weeks growth of wheat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts