Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading TBB, i decided to get fearless. i wanted to try some different designs & i wanted to experiment with backings. i also had this nice hickory board with a few runoffs that looked sketchy. here are my finished dimensions:
length- 72"
width- handle- 1 1/4", limbs- 2" tapering to 1 1/2" at mid limb (16" from tip), then further tapering to 3/4" wide at 12" from tip, then to just a hair over 3/8" at tips.
thickness- 1 3/4" handle, inner limbs- 1/2" (a touch more), mid limb- 3/8", then tapering back up to 3/4" around 12" from tips.
my inner fades are 2", and the transitions from limb to tip are 4".
i had some creaking issues with my tillering board at 26", but they aren't there when i draw it, so i feel good about it (i didn't last night).
it's very smooth drawing (around 40") and shoots great. it ended up lighter than i had planned. the weight comes off fast when you get such short working limbs on the tillering board.
some pics (i'll post more when my lovely wife gets home to take some full draw pics of it):

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
nice looking bow...I haven't tried one of these yet....I'll have to add it to my list......Steve

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well I'll be darned, I just finished tillering a hickory holmegaard tonight. Nice bow by the way. I'll post mine in a few days.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well I'll be darned, I just finished tillering a hickory holmegaard tonight. Nice bow by the way. I'll post mine in a few days.
that wouldnt be the bow for the swap, would it?:D

Elk that is a nice looking bow right there!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks!

my daughter thinks it looks good too...

here's a few after the stain. i'm digging the walnut stain on it! i shot a couple dozen arrows out of it today before i stained it & it seems to get smoother & smoother. maybe it seems smoother because it only pulls 40#.

:darkbeer:

oh, yeah- it's not for the swap- i was testing it out for a swap backup design. my swap bow spent the day with some glue & clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i used 2 coats of watco danish oil. once it sits for 3 days, i'll hit it with 600 grit & put half a dozen coats of spar urethane on it (helmsman- rattle can- satin) & then do a little steel wool massage on it. i'm trying to give it a deep look.

thanks for the kind words, too!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts