Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday I was back up in the timber trying to catch a herd that had been feeding in this one particular reeprod patch. I could hear the cows chirping and mewing but I could never see them.

We got set up @ 7:35 and let out 2 cows mews. Then sat back and waited. I caught movement to my RT side and in my bull came, quite as a mouse. He staired at me for a few seconds, and I let out one more mew and he came walking right past me. I shot him at 16 yrds.

Not the biggest elk by any means, but I am very thankfull for the harvest...truly a blessing from upstairs. I shot him at 7:40 and by the time my hunting partner and I got the meat packed out it was 3:05......thanks a million Rob!!!!

Sorry for the long story...still pumped about 1 elk with a bow.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also

Forgot to mention this elk should help my Team #4 in the Western Big Game contest.

Jason:smile:

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Nice job. Congrats

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beauty

Let me tell the story from my view - we had barely set up - I had just finished ranging some trees around me so I could best estimate a shot should an elk come in, and had made a couple of cow calls when I heard a loud crash off to my left about 50 yards. I assumed it was Jason (taverner) doing some raking, but it sounded awfully loud and short. I heard a couple quick cow calls, and returned them, followed by Jason's arm creeping around a tree and waving me over. He had arrowed a bull before I had time to get settled!
Tough tracking, too, as it was raining pretty hard. But, bull went about 150 yards before coming to a final rest....and then, the work began!
Congrats, Jason, it's been a great year so far!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
congrats to you on your first elk. Someday maybe I will be ale to join the ranks...

·
74,535 Posts
Congradulations

Elk with a bow is a trophy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts