Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advice and I'm reading Shooting the Stickbow, and also have a lite TD recurve bow, beginning at 10 yards, as suggested.
The back stop (a scrap futon pad that should have been dragged off), has been up for a few days, but no targets yet.
Impatient, and they say it's gonna rain...

..There was a fellow who posted a pic of his first shot, each morning... Can't recall who it was, or where I saw it...
But Heck! It's 2016, a brand new year !

This is my First shot, shooting for that button.

Skin Hand Finger Leg Floor

My last shot was 15-20 years back. :embara:

Anyone else want to post pics of their 1st shot of the day ?
Hunting, it'll be the one that counts, and 10-20 yards, possibly out to 30 max would be the distance...

Best
rc

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, no one proud of their first shot.
I can understand that ! :)
...Yet, if you hunted game, it would be the only one you get !

Here's my 2nd shoot, with a home made target, about 10 - 11 yards.

Tile Floor Table Umbrella Flooring

2x
1-5
8-4
9-3
12 outliers
more off the paper.
Definite room for improvement,and much practice!
Could have quit with that single scoring shot, but I figured it was time for a (hypothetical) meal, again...

And this was a test, so a bit of good comes from it !
The target carton is cardboard, of course, with 3 egg cartons cut up, within it.
Our kid generates a lot of 'em, and we all eat eggs, that generally come in styrofoam cartons.
Penetration was 100%, in excess of 4-6 inches, with a lite target bow.
Arrows are Easton Gamegetter 500 2016 with field points, bow is Polaris, @ 20lb.
Gonna need more impact resistance within this size target. I'll back it up, with another of same.
It was hung over the backstop, with the milk jug 1/4 full of water for a balance.
Fine setup for a lite recreational bow !
YMMV
rc

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not so well, yesterday. Off and on rainy.
First shot? I'd straggle home, empty handed, and hungry.
3-5
3-4
4-3
from a dozen arrows.
Beginner's luck has fallen by the wayside! lol

Penetration has become a dis-appointment.
An arrow in the backstop (futon pad) is generally buried to the feathers.
Probably should scrap it and go with some other option that will be more effective, and safer.
ymmv
rc

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A good option for a target is a plastic or burlap bag full of rags, a blanket, or old clothes. They stop arrows really well and last a long time. Ya might want to check out some local outdoor ranges. So cal has a lot of them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tnx Rancho,
Of course you are right!
Unfortunately it's over hill and dale plus $20 in fuel to a rumor of a range. If I did make that run, I'd pay for an instructor to get me started properly on form. Targets are the secondary consideration that pops up to first, since I'm unable to spring for the instructor costs, if there is even one available around here!
:)
rc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts