Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to be in IBO and ASA heavy when I was in Highschool. Since I graduated and moved towards shooting clays in college, I am wanting to get back into the groove of archery. I am wanting to get back into archery on a budget. I don't want to spend over 700 on a set up as I have 3 boys and eventually they will want their own as well. I know now that I will not be able to have a set up like I did when I quit, Mathews z7 with an ants evo, ect...... but I want something that will be reliable and comfortable to hunt with and shoot local 3d shoots monthly. I don't want something I have to worry about timing and a massive amount of maintenance. I believe I will be around a 29to29.5 draw and can still easily pull back 60 to 70lbs. Brands do not matter to me anymore. Since I have not been in the archery world for over 7 years I am afraid a lot has changed. any advice is appreciated, again thanks in advance!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
855 Posts
I use to be in IBO and ASA heavy when I was in Highschool. Since I graduated and moved towards shooting clays in college, I am wanting to get back into the groove of archery. I am wanting to get back into archery on a budget. I don't want to spend over 700 on a set up as I have 3 boys and eventually they will want their own as well. I know now that I will not be able to have a set up like I did when I quit, Mathews z7 with an ants evo, ect...... but I want something that will be reliable and comfortable to hunt with and shoot local 3d shoots monthly. I don't want something I have to worry about timing and a massive amount of maintenance. I believe I will be around a 29to29.5 draw and can still easily pull back 60 to 70lbs. Brands do not matter to me anymore. Since I have not been in the archery world for over 7 years I am afraid a lot has changed. any advice is appreciated, again thanks in advance!!!

Ryan
Its hard to go wrong with any brand these days. Similar to you, I got back in after a long layoff. About 10 years layoff. Holy crap was the world different. 3 years later I'm just now catching up and understanding.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Welcome to AT. I was once in your shoes, raised 4 kids all shooting 3D and hunting. I would get set up with the tools to perform maintenance because over the coarse of time you will have to keep all those bows tuned constantly as they grow. You will probably be handing down bows from one son to another and resetting them up constantly. You will make sacrifices in your own shooting time and quality of equipment, but it's worth it! Buy used bows and work on them yourself. You can purchase great equipment a few years old for half price or less and set it up yourself. Bow changes are incremental and you won't be giving up all that much shooting a bow a few years old.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Honestly, you could find a used Z7 fairly cheap and that bow is as valid today as it was in 2010. The trend has moved to dual cams and the speeds have increased a bit, but we aren't talking quantum leaps. A quick look through the classifieds here should put you in a pretty nice high-end setup for that $700.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts