Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I admit I am a recovering target panic hunter. I am doing very well with Stan element and was planning to try to switch to a thumb trigger release. I have been trying a couple different releases and watching a lot of videos and the one thing I would like to hear some comments on is why you prefer the number of fingers? Is one better for target panic recovery or just purely preference. I shot a 4 finger element and was planning to go with 4 finger sx3. Found 3 finger shoot off so tried that with mixed results - kept feeling like I needed the 4th finger. Read and watched a lot on the nock2it 2 finger and the use of the silverback for training. Just can't buy all these releases so thought I would get some insights. Thoughts?

Btw - I shoot some 3D but the focus is hunting release.

·
Registered
20,644 Posts
3 finger. Tried several 4 finger releases and I just found that your pinky is useless. You don't draw the weight with it, you don't hold the weight with it and you shouldn't really use it to activate the release in any way because it's more difficult to control, especially when the adrenaline gets going.

I also tried 2 finger releases and found that it didn't feel as solid or secure to me. It wasn't that I couldn't draw as much weight as I wanted on 2 fingers but I didn't like doing it as much. I shoot my trad stuff with 3 fingers and I like the feel of 3 fingers drawing and holding the weight.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
3 finger. Tried several 4 finger releases and I just found that your pinky is useless. You don't draw the weight with it, you don't hold the weight with it and you shouldn't really use it to activate the release in any way because it's more difficult to control, especially when the adrenaline gets going.

I also tried 2 finger releases and found that it didn't feel as solid or secure to me. It wasn't that I couldn't draw as much weight as I wanted on 2 fingers but I didn't like doing it as much. I shoot my trad stuff with 3 fingers and I like the feel of 3 fingers drawing and holding the weight.
Agreed. I don't mind the 4 finger on a thumb button but the hinges I've bought used I've cut the pinky groove off of.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Three fingers. One over, two under. Index finger between 1st molar and canine for anchor...:cheers:

·
Back Yard Champion
29,756 Posts
3 finger hand helds probably rule the market. Like Huntinsker noted the pinky finger is about worthless.

I like my 3 finger releases, have a few, but then for something different I like my 2 finger hinges and especially my TRU Ball HT.

Target panic in play I wouldn't think a thumb release would be the best thing and hinges have led to target panic. Yeah, I know. You have to just flat control yourself to overcome target panic.

It's your call, but I'd find some one to help set up a thumb release or hinge. You just don't pick one up and get wanted results.
And thumb releases and hinges can be fired in several ways. So more learning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As others have said it's all about personal preference. Try and find somewhere local that will let you test some out so you can know for yourself.

·
Banned
736 Posts
I use a 4 finger. Personal preference and comfort. If you have the money just buy up some used releases off of AT. Try them out and sell them to the next guy wanting to try them out. I've found most releases hold their value pretty well as long as you paid the going "used" price.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just preference. I like 3 finger but have a 2 SB just for warming up and going through process. I can't shoot as much as i would want to with the 2 finger. It takes its toll a lot quicker than the 3 finger which helps extend my sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
As others have said it's all about personal preference. Try and find somewhere local that will let you test some out so you can know for yourself.
Yep.. just got home from out of state. While I was there i looked up a local shop yesterday and went and tried several hinge releases.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
I use a four finger for both hinge and thumb. It just feels good to me.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I have two Scott Sigmas 3 finger. Once back at full draw I put my thumb over the trigger then start bringing my ring finger in as I'm pulling through the shot. That rotation of the release pushes the thumb barrel into my thumb and it goes off. I don't even have to think about hitting the trigger when I shoot! Love this release!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Three finger for me also.....I sometimes drop the ring finger and use it as a 2 finger. I've found 2 finger releases a bit cumbersome shooting tournaments.

I had a Silverback and really liked the third finger nub for the draw but always thought it should be bigger.

·
Registered
24,101 Posts

I shoot a 3 finger SX3 for the very same reasons. After shooting trad with fingers for 3 decades, a wrist release felt awkward drawing in that manner with the fingers not part of the process. When I took my first shot with a 3 finger hand held, it was the closest shooting a compound ever felt to my stickbows.......and I never looked back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
3 finger, your pinkie on a 4 finger is useless and only adds inconsistency, with a 2 finger I get hung up sometimes, 3 finger has offered the most consistency and I dont get hung up as much as a 2 finger.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input. Kinda what I thought. Shoot what feels good. Keep trying to you find the one that feels the best. Back to the classifieds....

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I like my four finger stan. justX. The handel is curved and feels great to me. And all my fingers are in the same position every shot. I wear large size gloves and the large size release fits me great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts