Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 acres food plot is toast. The fricking deer ate every plant. I dont get it. North of me is a 15 acre parcel of corn. I looked at it today and hardly any of it was touched. The 15 acres plot is only 350 feet from my food plot. I've been chasing the deer away every afternoon and they are not afraid of people. You can get within 20 feet of them before they run and 5 minutes later they are back. This happened last year but I thought it was a fluke because nobody planted corn within a mile of me because it was way too wet. I got mine in late but 75% didnt make it- deer ate it. I pitched 5 dead racoons in the field ( road kill) -didnt bother them at all. How in the hell does a person keep deer out of a field? Next year is rye or alfalfa/clover. Maybe even this fall. I've been planting corn for almost 20 years and have never seen this before. Way too expensive; seed $200 per bag, fertilizer $18 to $24 per bag , roundup. gas. time, wear and tear on equipment etc.... I'm in mid west Michigan, yeah thats the place our dumbass governor outlawed baiting. Or i should say, she promised do bring it back during campaign time only to change her mind. Any tips on keeping deer out that isnt a fence? thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know how cost effective multiple applications would be for 2 acres, but I know for flower beds "Deer Out" repellent works from amazon.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
^^^You won't make it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We have the same problem and started using bloodmeal to spray our corn and it works well. We also plant forage soybeans in between the corn rows which are more attractive to the deer which also seems to help reduce the browsing of corn plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Man, I’ve got a similar setup with a 2 acre field I’ve debated on putting in corn or something similar. I keep being deterred with posts like this. Have you tried milorganite?

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Admire the guys that do plots but me ,eh couldn't be bothered. Reading here all the time about all the wasted time, energy, money, and failures. I actually enjoy learning what nature provides and what the deer feed on naturally. Now if you have a corn field 350 away from your little truck patch you could use that to your advantage for sure at no cost or labor.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,462 Posts
plant beans and put up a double fence or tall time tubers in a month,

·
Ad Meliora
18,146 Posts
1. What does baiting have to do with a failed food plot?

2. Adapt. You can grow a year round plot for the cost of your corn plot. Get some buckwheat in ASAP. Or depending on the time until frost, seed a 1/3 in brassicas now. In the middle of August plant some oats and rye with clover. In September overseed with rye. In March overseed with clover.

Now instead of an expensive plot with limited days of appeal, you have a year round browsing plot.

·
Registered
343 Posts

2. Adapt. You can grow a year round plot for the cost of your corn plot. Get some buckwheat in ASAP. Or depending on the time until frost, seed a 1/3 in brassicas now. In the middle of August plant some oats and rye with clover. In September overseed with rye. In March overseed with clover.

Now instead of an expensive plot with limited days of appeal, you have a year round browsing plot.
This. I plan to get this going within the next month being right now I'm two and a half months out from bow opener. A small kill plot of 1/8 acre I planted to see what was in the area is getting hammered right now and it's proving worth while for overall deer health I'm sure. Plenty of pregnant doe and now doe with fawns in it and had a bachelor group of 4 bucks in velvet in it this week. Definitely trying to start keeping a year-round food source out there to develop routine and track some deer populations. Only issue is on my 250 acres I have to work with, the neighbor on his 400 acres has 3 feeds out right now that I'm competing against.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Never forget the outlaw option of just shooting them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Was this crop sweet corn or popcorn or something intended for human consumption, or am I the only one lost in the irony of trying to keep deer out of a crop planted with the intent of bringing them in...

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Glad they don’t allow baiting.
Food plots work great for me.

·
Liv4Rut
7,330 Posts
Need to put up an electric fence. Two rows of fence about 5 feet apart. Will solve the problem as we deal with it all the time out here.

·
Registered
24,059 Posts
Our home property in west MI is literally surrounded by corn fields on three sides...north, west and south....and I never see deer in them other than cover for travel until the ears tassel out and ripen. There is no crop damage that I have seen to the developing corn. Across the road to the east is an alfalfa field that we see deer in during the summer months, but that grows like weeds and they get at least four cuttings a summer. I am curious why they would focus on just your two acres....and what is the attraction to growing corn stalks?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts

Do this! A fall mix of cereal grains with clover. You will have a great plot to hunt this fall and next year you will have more food for your deer than corn or beans could ever compete with. Two acres of clover will take a beating and keeping right on going.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts