Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a new bow for indoors only, and if i like it enough it will be my total target bow(indoor, 3D, and hopefully fita). Now, how I understand this 2 cams vs. 1 cams argument is like this... 2 cam bows are like stick shift. Excellent for precision driving(shooting) and when setup perfectly for someone who KNOWS how to drive(shoot) and is unpaarraleled in accuracy and forgiveness. 1 cam bows are like an automatic trans. Great for all drivers(shooters) to pick up and drive with less worry about perfect fit, setup and technique but when driven (shot) by anyone who knows how to setup and drive (shoot) it is just about as good. Would anyone agree that this is an accurate comparison? I would love (I think) to get a Martin Cougar 3 with Fury Cams and Elite limbs and that gorgeous platinum riser(ooohhhh) but am a little apprehensive about all the fussing with the 2 cams and there timing to get them to shoot. Am I right to be concerned about getting a 2 cam to tune? Any replies appreciated. Especially from Jim Despart. Shoot str8! rob.

·
Registered
34,167 Posts
I wouldn't be that worried about keeping a 2 cam bow in time. If you put some quality strings and cables on your bow (like Winner's Choice) you shouldn't have to worry about timing. What people don't understand is that a 1 cam bow can go out of time, and if your cam isn't in the correct position then your bow is not going to perform as it should. So just like a 2 cam bow a 1 cam bow has to be timed and looked after.

On another note I wouldn't even think about getting a Cougar without Fury cams or Fury X cams. I hope that I helped.

·
Registered
160 Posts
cougar III

if that cougar III has as much handshock and recoil with the twin cams as it does with the fusion cam you probably should try a bowtech.i shot the cougar 3 magnum last weekend and my hand is still numb.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
cath8r;

"Would anyone agree that this is an accurate comparison?"

Not really.

Single cams are single cams, dual cams are dual cams - then there are hybrid cams. They all have their idiosyncrasies. If you want to shoot a dual cam then shoot a dual cam, newer dual cams are easy to time and keep in time. You might have to spend a few hours playing with dual cams to understand how to tweak them, but it isn't rocket science. As long as you don't have excessive string stretch, dual cams stay in tune, and if they do go "out of tune" they do so gradually, so as long as you pay attention you can make corrections. All of the talk about the “complexity” of timing dual cams is just something that guys trying to sell (or justify) single cams came up with. Shoot whatever cam system you want, they are all relatively easy to work with once you sit down for a minute, do a little experimenting and figure it out.

-CG

-CG

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so far guys. I got the single cam timing issue down tight. As I own 3 of them. I just am getting a little tired of the agressive "bump" in the draw cycle when shooting more than a couple dozen shots with them. I really like how two cams feel in the draw as i also like the Mathews Icon feel. Its between these 2 bows. I guess I better shoot more of them in the Fury configurations to see if I can handle the vibration though. Keep 'em coming guys.

·
Registered
788 Posts
cougar 3 with the x cams is really easy to tune.GRIV did a thread on creep tuning,with the x cams it is easy to get the bow shooting good groups.iv'e had a bow with them on for a year now and wouldn't change the bow or cams for anything else.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have been shooting with 2 cams for 12 yrs with no tuning problems. Hornet is right, Martins kick like a mule. I would recomend a cam setup that allows you to change draw easily. Some boys you have to replace the modules or even the cams.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you're looking at a two cam bow, keeping the cams in time is really just occasionally drawing, and checking when the cable on each end drops into the stop. If they don't drop at the same time, put the bow in a press. Whichever side drops last, unhook the cable from the ends of the axle, and add one or more twists in the cable and reattach. With a good string/cable combination, you shouldn't have to add more than one or two twists, because they shouldn't stretch much.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not all Martin's kick.....

I shot the Cougar Magnum Fuzion 2 weeks ago, if I go back to the dealer it's probably still ringing. On the other hand my Prowler is whisper quiet so it's not all a Martin thing. Unless you're talking about kicking ***!!!!!!
Fly

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
1 cam bows are like an automatic trans. Great for all drivers(shooters) to pick up and drive with less worry about perfect fit, setup and technique

If you would have said that about dual cam bows I would have agreed . After all the years and bows I've shot , I dont think I'll ever shoot a pure single cam again .

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Just about when I'll say that dual cams are the way to go, BowTech will introduce a hybrid, CPS or Cam 1/2 system on a Patriot platform for 2004:eek: I guess I'll say for '03 go Dually!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts