Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the pro shop guy put some blazer 2 inch vanes on a half a dozen arrows for me, and with field points they shot tight groups. Very impressed. I put the montec practice heads on and I was consitently high and left of the target. Going farther left and higher as distance progressed, 1.5 at 20, 3 at 30 etc.

I put the practice heads on the 4 inch vane arrow (same exact arrow) and was dead nutz on the bull.

I am curious as to why this may be? The shop guy told me that the 2 inch are supposed to help the BH plane better, but that has obviously not been my expience. I am shooting a CE Terminator Hunter Select 6075 with 125 montecs.

With the Tekan II I had no problem with either vane.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
826 Posts
as you can see on here alot of people are using 2"blazers for hunting,right now I am shooting 2214x7 aluminum arrows and from 20-50 yrds my field points and broadheads (muzzy 125gr. 4 blade) are within 1" of each other ,maybe you might have to realign or square your broadhead with the shaft that has the blazers on,I myself have not tried the montecs

·
Registered
552 Posts
The bigger vanes have more control (drag) than the Blazers and keep the broadhead from planeing.
You most likely have a small tuning issue and with the Blazers it shows up when shooting broadheads.
I personally would use the larger vanes as they are working for ya and are more forgiving......if it aint broke......dont fix it!:rolleyes:

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,525 Posts
2" Blazers and 4" vanes don't weigh nearly the same.

Essentially you have 2 different arrows. The 2 different arrows have different dynamic spines. This means you may need to tune your bow to one arrow or the other. This is asuuming that that there is no fletch contact with the cables or rest.

You may find that if you make fine adjustments to your rest that ALL the arrows start impacting fairly close together.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have tried both and prefere to shoot the shorter vanes and feather vs Larger ones with my mechanicle heads.. What you will give up is stablilty of the arrow with a fixed head and short vanes, With a Mechanicle you should have no problems.

Good Luck.:darkbeer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts