Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I drew awesome elk tags this year and are set to hunt 9/16 - 9/23. In the past when I've hunted with another guy one usually takes a subordinate roll in setting up behind the other to call. This way one hunter is set up ahead and blah blah (you know how it works).

Anyway my question is we're both wanting to walk away with a kill AND we're both willing to help out the other guy. I'm just wanting to make sure we end up feeling as if we both contributed equally.

What strategies have you used in the past? If we simply take turns should it be daily, or per set up, or some other way???

What's your suggestion?

·
Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,921 Posts
Trade off per set up for optimal opprotunities. If you can get set up in area where A: the wind is right... B: There are enough bulls bugling that you can both get in between them to both call and draw them in from 2 sides, do that as well. The latter is very rare and is kind of an "anything goes" situatin, but it has happened to me and a partner before. Both of us called in elk from 2 sides.

·
Registered
22 Posts
....we have been successful in what you are looking to do by using Montana Decoy. They are super life-like and really seem to seal the deal on incoming bulls. We set up (depending on the wind) on either side of the deke approx. 40 yds. ahead. This is also key, with the two man set up, because you will still be in range of any wary bulls that hang up just out of normal range. I hope this helps. PM me with any questions. I am fortunate enough to get to hunt about 4 days a week during our archery season.

·
Colorado ELk Hunter
1,857 Posts
Montana Decoys work.

Brought this boy in this year the few xtra yards my buddy needed to get him in a shooting lane. i also killed a 5x5 using the montana decoy.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts