Archery Talk Forum banner

2 saw blade knives, pretty much finished...

1373 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Barehunter
I just wanted to share my latest projects with you. I still have a LOT to learn, especially with polishing the blades and making the sheaths fit tight. The bigger of the two is going to need a button or hook of some sort to tighten it up. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them. I already have a new one in the works. Thanks for all the tutorials you all have been putting up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
294 Posts
Looking good

They look great to me. My first thought about sheaths fitting tight was to wet them and let them dry. I know my boots fit tighter after being wet. I'm sure someone that knows will tell you the right way. Keep it up, if you enjoy it you can only learn and get better.

· Registered
360 Posts
Looks good to me. If you don't me asking, what's the notch for in the first one? Just curious.

David
Its a blood groove, like a samurai sword!!!!:tongue: J/K

· Shade Tree Bow Technician
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Notch

Looks good to me. If you don't me asking, what's the notch for in the first one? Just curious.

David
Well, I put that in the blade to help me with the sharpening. With this notch in there I can sharpen it all the way to that groove without contacing that back piece. Besides, I have seen a few on here that have that in the blade design as well. Although they may not be as pronounced as that one, I have seen them.

Dave

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Wet your sheath a good bit, put the knife in it, and then take the back of a teaspoon or other small rounded smooth item and rub the loose spots in the leather to make it form to the knife's shape. When you have it fully shaped, set it aside to dry. That should do the trick. And, if your knife isn't stainless, probably should wrap it in a couple of layers of Saran wrap before you put it in the wet sheath.

· Registered
566 Posts
Very nice work Dave! It's amazing what can be found in those old sawblades. I can't wait to see else I can find lurking in a blade.... Keep 'em coming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.