Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually hunt by myself during archery but was wondering if I should carry a 2 way radio in case of an emergency. There is no cell service where I hunt.

What radios do you sugest, I figure at least I could leave on with my wife at the house. I live in pretty hilly country.

·
Registered
745 Posts
denny, I use my Nextel for emergencies. If you do not have service where you hunt try the Motorola's. I have some friends that use them and they do pretty good. They have a long range on them also.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Midland now has a GMRS radio that is 3 watts and it supposed to go up to 10 miles. A pair is under $100 at BassPro.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Cobra Electronics makes a very dependable line of FMS, GMRS, and GPS technologies. Great product at a great price. Here's the link...COBRA ELECTRONICS

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I love my Cobras:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Denny.... If you hunt by yourself the radios wont do you much good. If you hunt more than 2-5 (depending on the model) miles from your home. No one will here you. In fact you can be within the recomended distance and not be heard by the person on the other end. Depending on the terrain.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hunt within 1 or 2 miles from the house, so want a 5 mile radio. If i do go elsewhere its on game lands so hunters are around.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Okay. They will work I love my Motarola. As for the public land people, they have to be on the same channel. My Moto has a few hundred different ones. So it may be kind of tough to raise someone on them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
GMRS vs FRS

Dennykyser,
The limit on FRS radios is 2 watts, the limit on GMRS is 5 watts. More watts will <usuallly> give you more range. The GMRS require a $75.00/year subscription from the FCC. HOWEVER some of the newer radios use both FRS and GMRS frequencies, and some can be programmed to use both. If you have a GMRS radio with 5 watts of power you will also have 5 watts of FRS power. You cannot use them for FRS according to the FCC regulation. I am not condoning the illegal use of FRS frequencies.

Another tidbit: FRS is for immediate family use;meaning grandparents, parents, siblings, NOT your hunting buddies. GMRS will allow you to use them however you choose.

I have the Radioshack radios and love them. I would definitely get one with a earbud/microphone jack so you can plug them into your ear.

Jim G,

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
KING COBRA

The beauty of the Cobras is they have 22 channels with 38 sub-channels for each channel. They also have a "vibra-alert" mode, excellent for use when hunting. The better models also feature NiH(nickel-metal hydride) batteries instead of alkaline or NiCad(which tend to develop a memory after repeated charging). Cobra is the world leader in CB's, radar detection, GPS, and GMRS 2-way technology.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have the 7 mile cobras and love them I usually use my nextel but while I was in canada I had no service and had to rely on my trusty old cobras well worth the money:D Havoc

·
Registered
242 Posts
FRS/GMRS

I have been researching these radios lately and thought I would pass on a little info. The FCC regulates the FRS radios to ".5 watts" or 1/2 watt when operating the radio on the FRS channels. The FCC also says the FRS radios may NOT have a removable antenna. The GMRS radios are limmited to 50 watts but the hand held radios the manufactures have been putting out are normanaly only 2-3 watts. The GRMS freq. does require the $75 for 5 year licence and after you are required to give your call sign durring each transmition. If you operate the radio on the GMRS freq. without a licence the FCC will fine you $10,000 and give you a felony criminal charge.

The FRS/GMRS radios have a built in reducer that limits the watts being transmited on the FRS freq. to .5 watts but on the GMRS freq. the radio will TX at 2-3 watts.

I found a lot of my information on the www.popularwireless.com message board. These guys take their radios very seriously from what I can tell. Several also have what appear to be direct contact with the FCC for clarification of any qusetions about the FCC regulations. Check it out there is a lot of good info there.

Darkside

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
two way radios

Better check with the Game Commission...last I heard, radios were illegal in Pennsylvania...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts