Archery Talk Forum banner

2 years, 2 limb splinters on Mission Sniper Lite...

5764 Views 40 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Joe2698
This happened last year after 30 shots or so and I took the crossbow back to the dealer who swapped out the limb (cost me 2 weeks of prime hunting and $30 labor). I thought it was a fluke but boy was I bummed yesterday when the other side had a splinter! I've fired this crossbow 5 times since the last splinter (target shots). I emailed Mission, have any of you seen this happen?

I've never dry fired or hit a cam on a tree or anything thing. I'm shooting BEEs with aluminum half moon nocks with a risk weight of 447 grains (375 is the minimum for this bow). I'm really frustrated here, I don't want to miss the rut again this year. 2 splinters on 35 seems like more than a fluke to me...

Can the bow still be fired like this? I taped the splinter down to prevent it catching but i don't want the thing to explode.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
I wouldn't :( but that is just me.

· Huntoholic
10,860 Posts
I personally think you would be ok to use it. I heard the sky wqas falling over 2 years ago when my Mad Max had this splinter on it,,,
Wood Branch Tree Trunk Close-up

I am still shooting the same limbs today, with over 2000 shots em, it will shoot under 3/4" at 50 yards for 5 shots, hold a 5 shot string with less than 1 fps extreme spread,, and has taken several deer the past 2 years, including 3 of these doe and this Buck at 42 yards, all in 7 days and in temps single digit to below zero,,,
Bushmeat Meat Flesh Duck meat

I am hunting with the same limbs this year, it will be the third year since I broke that splinter off and is still driving 542 grain Spynal Tapps inide 2" bulls out to 70 yards at 325 fps. So it's up to you, but that is a small splinter running with the limb, I would worry more with a crack running across the limb, but it's a choice you have to make, but I don't plan on changing limbs on mine any time in the future!

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Would there be anyway that your dealer would order the limbs and then call you when they arrive to be put on? At least that you could hunt..

I know its unsettling but that splinter doesnt look like it would cause anymore problems. Clip it off and hunt.

· Registered
18,546 Posts
First ... modern bow I bought when I got back into bow hunting was a Hoyt Xtec. Found a little hair sticking out like Catters Mad Max. Being clueless, I filed it off clean & smooth and shot thousands of practice arrows and killed deer with that bow for years. I just didn't realize it was the scary boogieman splintered limb. By the time I knew enough to realize what it was, the bow had thousands of arrows under it's belt.

That said ... contact Mission and get it fixed. Personally, if I replaced one limb, I'd replace them all.

· Registered
9,913 Posts
First ... modern bow I bought when I got back into bow hunting was a Hoyt Xtec. Found a little hair sticking out like Catters Mad Max. Being clueless, I filed it off clean & smooth and shot thousands of practice arrows and killed deer with that bow for years. I just didn't realize it was the scary boogieman splintered limb. By the time I knew enough to realize what it was, the bow had thousands of arrows under it's belt.

That said ... contact Mission and get it fixed. Personally, if I replaced one limb, I'd replace them all.
Very common with Hoyt bows. My 1999 Hoyt Intec did the same thing and I shot many arrows through it without a problem.

· Arrow Whisperer
11,164 Posts
This happened last year after 30 shots or so and I took the crossbow back to the dealer who swapped out the limb (cost me 2 weeks of prime hunting and $30 labor). I thought it was a fluke but boy was I bummed yesterday when the other side had a splinter! I've fired this crossbow 5 times since the last splinter (target shots). I emailed Mission, have any of you seen this happen?

I've never dry fired or hit a cam on a tree or anything thing. I'm shooting BEEs with aluminum half moon nocks with a risk weight of 447 grains (375 is the minimum for this bow). I'm really frustrated here, I don't want to miss the rut again this year. 2 splinters on 35 seems like more than a fluke to me...

Can the bow still be fired like this? I taped the splinter down to prevent it catching but i don't want the thing to explode.

First give pictures to your dealer then If you have to wait on limbs you need to stop the damage, get the dealer or yourself to take the bow down and file the splinter smooth. You will be fine for a while but the limbs should be replaced.

· Registered
9,659 Posts
You can do what you want. Personally, I wouldn't miss hunting over that splinter. It's on a corner of the inside (belly) of the limb. It is not the kind of splinter that is going to make the limb go boom. Looking at the crack that continues, it does not seem to be going deeper/wider, but staying the same < 1/16" depth, and actually the end toward the riser seems to be coming back toward the surface, not getting deeper. I would epoxy that splinter, and wrap tightly with tape. If your bow still shoots on, then the tiller hasn't been affected enough to make it a serious issue for now. Of course you want the limb(s) replaced. As mentioned before, ask you dealer to get the limbs in, and only after they are, take the bow in for the service. JMHO. A crack or splinter on the outer curve of the limb (tension side) is far more likely to cause a sudden failure than a corner splinter on the inner side.

PS Jerry's advice may be better as you would be working with the dealer. I do my own service, so take that into account.

· Registered
21,794 Posts
I agree with Pin. That's concerning but I guess it's working at its max just like any other bow regardless of poundage to a point.

But still something isn't right. When I had a splinter on my 320 way smaller than that one. I called my dealer he said run it over. I jumped in the truck and drove the 12 miles. I walked in the door and the first thing I heard. There on the way I said Hu what... All ready called mission there on the way. 4 days latter I get a call your bows ready when ever you want to pick it up.

I drove over all tuned and ready to go. Zero cost other than gas in the truck. If it were me I'd call mission and let them know first hand what's going on.

Start out

I was on archery talk on the Internet. Asking some guys about my limbs. Then tell them what's going on.And tell them about the dealer taking so long. You might have to leave a message. But I've never not had them return my calls if I don't get threw the first time. But I've only called them like 3 times once was about the trigger recal years ago my black 400 and about buying a used bow and warranty.

· Banned
24,198 Posts
I would be miserable hunting and looking at that. Would not do it........especially with my luck....or lack thereof:sad:

· Tacos de Lengua! Sabrosa!
4,428 Posts
My Storm developed a very similar deal. I didn’t have a back-up bow, so I kept hunting and after the season sent it in. Tenpoint took care of me and then some. I know GAPinetree had recurring issues with his Mission limbs.

· Registered
3,943 Posts
I have never heard of a single limb being replaced. As far as I know they are always replaced in sets due to matching. Is your dealer competent? Your original limbs may have been bad. Call Mission and talk to them directly.

· Huntoholic
10,860 Posts
Thats a must on any limb replacement, all limbs on both sides, your limbs need replaced in sets of 4, solid limbs in sets of 2. But if your dealer just replaced one limb out of the 4,,, I would find a new dealer, never heard of such thing. good luck whatever you decide to do, but let us know if the dealer actually did just replace one single limb!

As far as very common with Hoyt limbs,, that's all I owned for nearly 40 years,,, never had splinter on any of mine. & new ones and 5 with split limbs, I would think just the opposite of common Hoyt was the first one I new of to have lifetime limb warranties, and the first with multi layer laminated! I think Limbs are one of their strong suites?

· Jesus Follower
16,268 Posts
I wouldn't hunt with a splintered bear trap in my lap.....personal opinion. This is why it's good to put a few hundred arrows down range prior to bowseason.

I would ask my dealer for a loaner bow while I wait on limbs.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe the dealer may have actually replaced all 4 Limbs. What he did was remove the limbs and cross ship them back to Mission while the new ones came in. Because this happened in the middle of the week, I was out for a few weekends while the swap was made. I don't actually know what all was done as far as replacing limbs. He's a very competent bow-smith, serving our city for some 30-40 years and my while family uses his services and have been happy (both compounds and crossbows). I'm new to this and was more than a bit surprised to be charged for warranty work...

· Tacos de Lengua! Sabrosa!
4,428 Posts
Yeah, the labor charge was wrong.

· Registered
67 Posts
I agree with Pin. That's concerning but I guess it's working at its max just like any other bow regardless of poundage to a point.

But still something isn't right. When I had a splinter on my 320 way smaller than that one. I called my dealer he said run it over. I jumped in the truck and drove the 12 miles. I walked in the door and the first thing I heard. There on the way I said Hu what... All ready called mission there on the way. 4 days latter I get a call your bows ready when ever you want to pick it up.

I drove over all tuned and ready to go. Zero cost other than gas in the truck. If it were me I'd call mission and let them know first hand what's going on.

Start out

I was on archery talk on the Internet. Asking some guys about my limbs. Then tell them what's going on.And tell them about the dealer taking so long. You might have to leave a message. But I've never not had them return my calls if I don't get threw the first time. But I've only called them like 3 times once was about the trigger recal years ago my black 400 and about buying a used bow and warranty.
Rt2, do you deal at Triple threat outdoors?

· Bringer of truth
15,110 Posts
i would tape it and keep hunting if i only had this one bow to use.

the tape would keep you from snaging your hand on it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.