Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 50lb compound that I'm planning on using for deer. At the moment I'm shooting a 380gr arrow (with a 20gr Gold Top FACT weight) at about 262 fps. However, I've noticed that I get better arrow flight and speed if I remove the 20gr weight, so I'd be shooting a 360gr arrow at about 270 fps. Which arrow would be the better penetrating arrow?

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
I'd go with the arrow that flies the best for you. That's plenty of weight and speed for a whitetail, especially if you hit the boiler room. The difference in penetration caused by 20 grains is negligible.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Wow I take it your guessing at the speeds, a 20 gr. Fact weight changes my arrow speed 4 fps, chronograph. And it is not noticeable penetration wise, with or without it. I just figure its not going to hurt having it, and it helps with foc.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,805 Posts
So I have a 50lb compound that I'm planning on using for deer. At the moment I'm shooting a 380gr arrow (with a 20gr Gold Top FACT weight) at about 262 fps. However, I've noticed that I get better arrow flight and speed if I remove the 20gr weight, so I'd be shooting a 360gr arrow at about 270 fps. Which arrow would be the better penetrating arrow?
Always the heavier arrow.......always. Many people here like to muddy that water but it's hard fact. That said you would need to test 100's of shots in a lab to see the difference 20 grains makes. Shoot what shoots better.

To see a difference in accuracy you must be on the edge of a weak spine and removing the extra point weight made the difference.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,187 Posts
Well of course you have something going on tuning wise with your bow....

Yes the heavier arrow will penetrate better but 20gr is like spitting in the ocean; insignificant.

Perfect arrow flight is the numero uno criteria for good performance.....don't forsake that for anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts