Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right...recently purchased right here on AT. I really can't wait to get it...because I'm literally going to play around with the rotation by putting one twist in each cable at a time until I get a parabolic speed chart (to obtain optimum settings). I have a pretty good idea of where to start, in terms of the gap between where the cable wraps around the cable peg (not sure if I explained that very well...but :confused:), so I'll be posting up pictures and speed results within the next few days here. I'm really excited about it...Finger Freddie let me draw back his Slayer with CAT cams after he had played around with them, and it drew back surprisingly smooth, with no pronounced bump before full draw. Plus...deer season is right around the corner here in NY, so I should be able to get some really good speed out of it (at least more than I'm used to with my stubby arms and 27" draw length).

· Registered
5,465 Posts
It's now official, you've joined the firecat club. I would like to see that chrat when you are done. Are you also going to list the let off percentage?

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firecat Chart

I don't have the necessary equipment to measure exact letoff percentage...and to be honest I don't really worry myself with what the letoff is...just how the bow holds and how fast it's going. But, if you insist, I will indeed give you the information that I gather while doing the twisting and untwisting of the cables.

Hey Pinto...you going to Lancaster again this year?

· Premium Member
8,546 Posts
I don't have the necessary equipment to measure exact letoff percentage...and to be honest I don't really worry myself with what the letoff is...just how the bow holds and how fast it's going. But, if you insist, I will indeed give you the information that I gather while doing the twisting and untwisting of the cables.

Hey Pinto...you going to Lancaster again this year?

if you need a hand, shoot me a PM :)

and yes, of course I'll be there :becky:

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it arrived

Well, it finally got here after some very prompt shipping by Dots. After some tinkering with the modules and draw stop to get it back down to my draw length, its time to just get a loop put on her, along with a different peep, rest, and sight. Pictures will most likely be up Friday, as I'll be out of town tonight and tomorrow. Should be a shooter, though:wink:

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a chance to shoot it

I finally got a chance to shoot this beast, and it shoots really well. Drops about 4 inches from 10 yards to 30, so needless to say its faster than anything I've ever shot. I haven't had a chance to shoot it through a chronograph yet, but I'm expecting something in the 295-300 range at 60 pounds, 27 inches, and a 317 grain arrow. Seems a little louder than I thought it would be...and I know what it's from. The suppressor...it actually makes the bow have a different noise, and its not necessarily a good one. So, my next experiment will be to shoot it without the string suppressor.

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,603 Posts
I finally got a chance to shoot this beast, and it shoots really well. Drops about 4 inches from 10 yards to 30, so needless to say its faster than anything I've ever shot. I haven't had a chance to shoot it through a chronograph yet, but I'm expecting something in the 295-300 range at 60 pounds, 27 inches, and a 317 grain arrow. Seems a little louder than I thought it would be...and I know what it's from. The suppressor...it actually makes the bow have a different noise, and its not necessarily a good one. So, my next experiment will be to shoot it without the string suppressor.
:wink: Some folks may trim about 1/4" off the suppressor rod.

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,603 Posts
I shot mine without the the suppressor and I thought it was plenty quiet.
I now have the suppressor 1/4"+ away from the string at brace. Does it help or hurt accuracy? I can not be positive. I had excellent accuracy without the suppressor, with the suppressor touching the string and with it off the string. Does it make it quieter? I'm not real sure. But I continue to shoot it with the suppressor about a 1/4" off the string.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it completely off if I wanted to shave a little weight. But that's me and this one bow. Others may have completely different ideas.

· Registered
3,425 Posts
How do you figure? I can get 301fps, at a measured 27" draw at 70 lbs. I'll hang with a Dream Season any day of the week. As for the limbs I had problems, but, those problems are long gone.

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
having some problems here

Can't get this thing to shoot an arrow straight to save my life. It's really wierd...I'm shooting great groups with field points, though I can see for sure that the arrows are looping on their way downrange. Tried shooting my broadhead (Thunderhead 100), and it literally flew so terribly that it missed the target and destroyed the arrow after striking a cinderblock. Not really sure what to do here...I'm 99% sure that the bow is centershot...because I can shoot arrows in a straight line down the target all the way from 10 yards to 40 yards, but at each distance, the arrows are stuck in the target pointing in different direction. I'm thinking that the arrows may not be spined properly? Nock point not set properly? Other CAT cam shooters...give me some feedback here. How do you set up your nock points? I always set mine up so that the bubble on the level is just touching the back line (ever so slightly nick high). Any help would be appreciated. If I can't get this thing to tune before Saturday, it'll be back to the tried-and-true Fury.

· Registered
3,425 Posts
What spine shafts are you shooting? I'm shooting .400's, cut length of 25". At 27" draw and 70lbs. on the nose they will group BH's great, but, not anywhere near FP's. I need .340's to get both.

With .400's I could walk back tune until my arms and legs fell off, and not get any closer groupings on either head. Spine charts from every manufacturer says I'm perfect. I tried 75, 85, and shoot 100 grns.

· Registered
2,037 Posts
I set my nock about 1/8" above level and Ive got my Cat at 61 lb with 27 1/2",400 spine Victories with 100gr tips and my Magnus Buzz cuts hit right with my field tips. My centershot is set around 3/4" after walkback tune. At first I tried paper tuning and went nuts,when I got a perfect bullet the arrow was way over to the right and shot lousy started from scratch at 11/16,s and ended up 3/4. Shoots sweet now.

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FireCAT tuning

Well guys, finally got it figured out thanks to the guy who works at the shop. We shot it through paper only to find out that the vanes were tearing about an inch high and about two inches to the left of where the tip impacted. Propably the worst looking tear I've ever seen. Turns out...my arrows were so weak it wasn't even funny. I was shooting 2114's cut to 27 inches at a 27" draw at 66 pounds. Needless to say, I have alot to learn about spine. Also, my nock point was a touch high, and my rest was moved WAY in. Here's what I have right now, and it's shooting awesome.

27" draw
27" Easton Lightspeed 400 with 100 grain tip
55 pounds
The distance from the shelf to the side of the arrow closest to the shelf at the point furthest from the shooter is 28/32", or 7/8".

This was the only way I could get the arrows to spine properly and shoot something close to a good hole because the CAT cams are so aggressive...so what I'm going to have to do at some point in the future (propably not too near), is get some 340 spine arrows so I can shoot it at a higher poundage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.