Archery Talk Forum banner

2008 Opening Day Indiana Success

1046 Views 15 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  bowhunter2007

Whitetail Doe
NW Indiana (Crown Point)
10/01/08 -- Opening Day
6:30 AM

It was the day before opening night & all I could think of was deer, deer this, deer that. I went to bed around 11 pm & could not sleep for the life of me. Flashbacks of the giant 11 pointer was repeating throughout the night. Hopefully, I think to my self that I'll get a shot at him. I awoke this morning around 3 am becuase I could no longer sleep. I got up, sat on the computer for a bit & then got ready. I got into my stand way to early. It seemed like eternity waiting for sunlight or to catch the glimpse of a deer in the distance. At around 6:15 or so, I catch movement in the bean field, at this time I had no clue as to what they were. They continued my way until they were about 70 yards away & they started to wind me! They came in the same direction the wind was blowing so I was waiting for them to stomp off. To my amazement, they continued to exit the bean field, this doe gave me 36 or so yard shot. I could see my arrow and knew it was a pass through. She ran about 80 yards and piled up. Great opening day! The last 3 years I have managed to get a deer down on opening day! So I am very happy w/ how the opener began.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,334 Posts

Whitetail Doe
NW Indiana (Crown Point)
10/01/08 -- Opening Day
6:30 AM

It was the day before opening night & all I could think of was deer, deer this, deer that. I went to bed around 11 pm & could not sleep for the life of me. Flashbacks of the giant 11 pointer was repeating throughout the night. Hopefully, I think to my self that I'll get a shot at him. I awoke this morning around 3 am becuase I could no longer sleep. I got up, sat on the computer for a bit & then got ready. I got into my stand way to early. It seemed like eternity waiting for sunlight or to catch the glimpse of a deer in the distance. At around 6:15 or so, I catch movement in the bean field, at this time I had no clue as to what they were. They continued my way until they were about 70 yards away & they started to wind me! They came in the same direction the wind was blowing so I was waiting for them to stomp off. To my amazement, they continued to exit the bean field, this doe gave me 36 or so yard shot. I could see my arrow and knew it was a pass through. She ran about 80 yards and piled up. Great opening day! The last 3 years I have managed to get a deer down on opening day! So I am very happy w/ how the opener began.
Congrats! I saw a squirrel. :shade:

I'll be out again in the morning though.

· Registered
7,438 Posts
Congrats

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Congrats

· Registered
2,111 Posts
good deal and congrats,it was raining cats and dogs here in my neck of the woods,finally let up and went out,had a doe come in behind me but i couldnt get a shot bad angle and too much cover.will be back out there in the morn.if the rain clears out today.

· Registered
987 Posts
Good Job!!

I saw 5 does and could have wacked 4 of them. Also had a 115"-120" 8 point come in @ 40 yards. Not sure if he was 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 years old. Either way, another year will help this buck. Everything happened @ 8am and was done by 8:20am.

· Registered
448 Posts
your excitement is getting me pumped up for saturday morning. congrats!

· # 9 # 9 # 9......
2,081 Posts
Congrats on the nice doe :darkbeer::darkbeer:!

I won't get out until Sat.:sad: But on a brighter note, I just got permission to hunt another 160+ acres of private land only 3 miles from my house! All of my other quality properties are 2+ hours away so I will be spending at least a bit of my hunting time locally.

HR

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Great job on the doe. Opening morning it was raining here and a doe snuck up on me at 10 yards lol I felt like a dummy but it happens, mabye ill get another chance at her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.