Archery Talk Forum banner

2009 Martin Firecat Pro, weight?? Pug??

1083 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  WSmitty01
I followed the thread about the dis-satisfied customer with the Firecat weight problem, and was very impressed with the CS of Martin to resolve the issue,,BUT,,I really want to buy the new 2009 Firecat, and ounces make a huge difference to me because of extensive rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder and only have 2 tendons still attached!! I have a certain weight that I can hold outstretched. I know what all of my accessories weigh and the difference of 4-6 ounces in bow weight is VERY critical to me. If the Firecat is advertised at 3.55 pounds that is what I have to deal with not 3.8 or 4. Is that the bow weight as "tested" out of the box? I do know about the film dip or powdercoating,,but I really need to know if that weight includes everything in the picture!! I have worked over a year just to be able to hold 45# on the compound and 40# on my recurve. I have an old Browning Micro that does weigh 3.5 pounds, but I have no speed!! I'm tired of shooting childrens bows for the light weight, the Martin gives me a 15 # adjustability that I can work with and move up with, also my draw length is 26" so I have other problems with the short draw length. The Firecat looked to me like my solution, but still concerned about the advertised mass weight!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,603 Posts
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I also shoot a 26" DL.

I shoot a FireCat and I feel it's light. I don't shoot with a quiver attached as 99% of the time I'm hunting from a treestand. Not having a quiver attached makes the bow lighter and there's never any arrow/quiver vibration causing additional noise. It also makes the bow easier to handle and maneuver sitting in small portable treestands. The quiver is strapped to my climber while walking and while ascending or descending the tree. It's easier to carry a bow without a quiver attached as I can carry it in either hand.

I assume you are using a lighter weight sight, stabilizer and rest. Removing the rubber/leather grip and putting cloth tape in it's place as I've done on target bows drops an once or so.

I have "tweaked" my FireCat so it has a really smooth feel compared to many hard cam bows. I can actually shoot a few more pounds on this FireCat than I was shooting on my Nitrous cammed bows.

· Registered
108 Posts
I think he is asking how much a firecat weighs WITH the STS, cable guard, VEM stuff, grips, rest mounting plate INSTALLED.

I could be wrong though.:wink:

· Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes..what it weighs out of the box, my hunting is mule deer and elk in New Mexico, so no stands, and a belt quiver is not that great because of other gear I carry. I have a very light weight 4 arrow quiver, and micro-light sights, also hunt hogs in Florida, again no stand,,,I'm a ground hunter. I have to keep everything at or under 5 pounds, or I can't hold very well at all!!

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Yes..what it weighs out of the box, my hunting is mule deer and elk in New Mexico, so no stands, and a belt quiver is not that great because of other gear I carry. I have a very light weight 4 arrow quiver, and micro-light sights, also hunt hogs in Florida, again no stand,,,I'm a ground hunter. I have to keep everything at or under 5 pounds, or I can't hold very well at all!!
Then get a rancho safari cat quiver and hunt without a stab. You should not need one with the built in sts anyway. :wink:

· Registered
108 Posts
Did you find out anything?

· Registered
5,664 Posts
I hunt out west for elk, mule deer, and antelope and would hate to have a quiver mounted on my bow. I use a quickee quiver and poked holes in the belt of my lumbar pack where I could attach the bow mounting quiver. This puts the vanes behind the draw side shooter and out of your way and allows you to carry your gear. Its als overy easy toget arrows out easily witout moving the bow around as you do so.

I also hunt with the 2008 firecat. Never had a need to weight it. What I can say is that I put a very light stab on it. I used the 5" multirod stab by doinker. Rest is a trophy Taker original drop away. The sight is a sword accusite that is not heavy in my opinion, but there are probably lighter sights as I use the apex 3rd plane. I don't have a scale that will give me a good weight on the bow unfortunately. I can get you to within a half pound probably.

I'll send you a pm with my number. If you give me a call tonight, I can throw it on my scale as it sits now.

· Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,967 Posts

· Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to wait for the Firehawk.... also,,,really want an all black bow also! Thanks for all the insight and advice,,,I'm hearing the MPro cams would be easier on the shoulders,,,,but I really want the speed or hunting out west!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.