Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow I had another fantastic year and finished with a monster 7x7 out of western Oregon. Went into a heavily used elk bedding area and snuck up on this bad boy rubbing his antlers in the dirt. I was gonna let my brother shoot him but he was taking too long and I was at full draw already. I was using a rip shot and am thankful for that because I was at full draw for almost two minutes. Finally when I realized my brother didn't have a shot and the bull turned broadside I shot a perfect 40 yard shot that hit right behind the shoulder and dropped him within 100 yards and he was dead under a minute. To make it better we had to pack him out 3 miles. So my brother and i packed out 600 lbs of meat plus head and cape in two trips. Total trip over 12 miles. Then I had it all cut up and in the freezer by midnight. That was the most exhausting day I have ever had. It also was a blast. I have pics at riparchery.com in the field photos. If anyone ever wants some tips on good elkhunting areas in western oregon just pm me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I am internet ******ed. Uploading pics isn't working for some reason. Pics are at riparchery.com then click on in the field second pic down.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
600lbs of meat huh? Are you sure it wasn't an Alaskan-Yukon Moose that you shot?:confused:

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
At least your brother didn't shoot this one right out from under you again.:wink:

Congrats on your bull.

Me and my neighbor made a similar device as yours when he broke his wrist:).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't understand how big a Roosevelt elk is 1000 to 1200 lbs. Before you start cutting. Way bigger bodies than rocky mtn.

·
BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
Here we go. Nice bull!

Attachments

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
You don't understand how big a Roosevelt elk is 1000 to 1200 lbs. Before you start cutting.
And you get 50% of live weight in meat?

Either way, nice bull.:thumbs_up But I only see 6 points on his left side.:dontknow:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've killed a pile of big Roosevelts. Not sure i've ever got that much meat especially after quartered to pack out. Great bull none the less. DONT SEND PEOPLE TO THE COAST:)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts