Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my bow. I currently shoot a 15 or so year old Hoyt Raptor. It is huge and slow by todays standards. I am interested in the Carbon Matrix as the title says. Are there any major changes to the earlier models (2010 specifically) compared to the 2013 model? Any reason not to buy an older version? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Cams are different. The 12's got the good rkt cams, then they added the airshox to the 13's. I have a 12. Personally I'd want the rkt cams.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The '10 model will have a cable slide as opposed to the roller guards on the '13 as well in addition to what was already posted. I really like the RKT cams on my 2012 model.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The 2013 got the airshox and the rkt cams and is smooth as help.

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
get rkt cams and imo not the fuel cam 2011 to jumpy and wanted to rip my arm off. My 2012 rkt was very nice

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,990 Posts
My brother has a 2010 and I have a 2011. Mine has a roller guard and his a slide. I believe both have fuel cams. I'm telling you after I shot his I HAD to have one made for myself !!! True the new cams are pretty awesome,,,basically everything Hoyt does is usually spot on,yet,there is nothing wrong with a 2010 model if you find one used.

The good part is,,,that since so many people want the newest and greatest,,,me included,,,you can probably buy a used Carbon bow for a song and dance from someone who wants the new cams and or limb shox. Right now I am scanning the used market for a Element to pair up with my Matrix Plus. I am thinking I can get it done for around $700-$800 and actually had one lined up for less but it got sold from under me. I'm in no hurry so I just peer in the shop here and there. If not,,,i might buy a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a deal on a mint 2010 matrix tonight. Thanks guys. I need to change the cams to get the correct draw length so I will probably go ahead and upgrade to the rkt cams.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
get rkt cams and imo not the fuel cam 2011 to jumpy and wanted to rip my arm off. My 2012 rkt was very nice
Yes it is Ed. Thanks, I'm liking it more every time I shoot it !

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Made a deal on a mint 2010 matrix tonight. Thanks guys. I need to change the cams to get the correct draw length so I will probably go ahead and upgrade to the rkt cams.
ummm. New cams to change draw? That means new strings/cables and a change in limb deflection. If you are going up to a bigger cam you will loose poundage. If you are going to a smaller cam, you will gain poundage. Food for thougt:wink:

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
notice Hoyt changed the Matrix riser in 2011 just after its first year launch bread and butter. Hoyt doesnt change anything unless they mess up.. :)

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,990 Posts
Carbon Matrix Plus.jpg Tell you the truth,,,I might like the slide better then my roller on the Matrix Plus. You bought a great bow just as it is,and if it's mint like you say,,,,whose better than you ??? No one !!! Congrats on a great purchase. Now get out there and enjoy the bow of your life. They are so awesome. Only thing I did to mine was Loesch side plates and Viscosity strings.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,990 Posts
I thought it was because of the roller replacing the slide ??? No ?

notice Hoyt changed the Matrix riser in 2011 just after its first year launch bread and butter. Hoyt doesnt change anything unless they mess up.. :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I doubt they messed up. A lot of things change maybe to improve on what they already have. And if something was messed up with the risers you would have heard about it on here. Enjoy the bow. My dad loves his 2010 and says he won't buy another bow til someone can make one that shoots as good, as smooth, and a comparably good draw cycle, and hits 350 fps consistently.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
View attachment 1631223 Tell you the truth,,,I might like the slide better then my roller on the Matrix Plus. You bought a great bow just as it is,and if it's mint like you say,,,,whose better than you ??? No one !!! Congrats on a great purchase. Now get out there and enjoy the bow of your life. They are so awesome. Only thing I did to mine was Loesch side plates and Viscosity strings.
What quiver are you using on your Matrix? I can see the mount on the sight. I'm looking for something to replace my Alpine soft loc as the mounting bracket sits too close to my limbdriver cord, and I need something smaller and more inline like what you have there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ummm. New cams to change draw? That means new strings/cables and a change in limb deflection. If you are going up to a bigger cam you will loose poundage. If you are going to a smaller cam, you will gain poundage. Food for thougt:wink:
The bow has #2 cams on it right now and I was told that it would only adjust to a 29" draw. I am going to try it out at 29" and see how it feels but I am pretty sure I will need a 30" draw.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,990 Posts
What quiver are you using on your Matrix? I can see the mount on the sight. I'm looking for something to replace my Alpine soft loc as the mounting bracket sits too close to my limbdriver cord, and I need something smaller and more inline like what you have there.
Hoyt Quiver magnetic /lock detach. Only a 4 arrow

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

·
Registered
158 Posts
... Do you mean change modules? I just bought a 2010 Matrix and love it! Still getting used to it over my 6 year old Trykon I was shooting last year. You wont regret the purchase. Here is mine...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have both the 2010 and 2011, both converted to spirals. Of the two, I prefer my 2010, due to the cable slide vs roller guard. I lost draw weight with the cable slide, but it is a bit smoother to shoot vs the roller guard bow.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
I have 2 '10 matrix, one has RKT on it now and other will soon, ones a 60# and others 70# get new cams and strings and its done.... simple and shoots nice....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts