Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Prestige Archery Strings
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this test for a buddy and she dosnt have AT. (yet she will be getting one soon). i did it also but im not quite done writing my review up yet. So here it is.

This year, I did the Firenock test to see the pros and cons of a few different lighted nocks. The test was to shoot each of the nocks 25 times on day 1. Day 2, I shot 24 times with each and then left the nock on for a week. After that, I replaced the battery on the firenock beings that was the only one that had a replaceable battery and shot them another 25 times. The next day I let the nocks soak in water for 24 hours. The next day I shot the nocks another 25 times. I used a Firenock, Lumenock, and a Nockturnal. In the next few paragraphs I will tell you the pros and cons of each of the lighted nocks starting with the Nockturnal then the Lumenock and finally the Firenock. This test definitely helped me decide which nock I will be using for hunting season this year and I hope it helps you too!
The first lighted nock I want to tell you about is the Nockturnal. I bought my Nockturnals from Scheels All Sports. The retail price of these nocks are 14.99 for a 2 pack. The installation of the nock was very simple and very user friendly. Right away I could tell that the Nockturnal was not the brightest nock of the 3. After shooting the Nockturnals, I would turn them off after each shot. Unlike a couple of the other nocks, these nocks were particularly difficult to turn off. You have to find something sharp enough to flip the switch in the nock which after awhile can get tedious. However for hunting, you do not plan on having to turn these nocks off constantly because hopefully you are hitting your target right away. Using these nocks for target shooting however would not be highly suggested. Another thing I noticed was that the Nockturnals did not feel very sturdy. Both of the other nocks I used were far more sturdy which leads to the problem I had with the Nockturnals. On my first day of shooting the nocks, I was shooting at 3d targets. My arrow with the Nockturnal on it hit the target’s leg with a metal rod in it. This broke the nock therefore my test for this nock ended here. This goes to show that it really was not very sturdy. Hitting the metal rod is fairly similar to hitting a deer’s shoulder or simply hitting bone. Personally, this was my least favorite nock I used due to its weakness because I wouldn’t want to have to go buy new nocks every hunting season if I hit bone. I also didn’t like it due to its brightness. The purpose of a lighted nock is to be bright and if its not bright then you wouldn’t use a lighted nock at all.
The next nock I tested was the Lumenock. I purchased the Lumenock at Scheels All Sports as well for $30 for a 3 pack. One thing that I really didn’t like about these nocks was that Lumenock doesn’t not make a nock for my arrows that I use which are Victory Vaps. This nock was very easy to install as well therefore being very user friendly. I noticed that the Lumenock was far brighter than the Nockturnal and about equally bright as the Firenock. This is the nock that I have used in past hunting seasons and found it effective. Lumenocks were a little easier than the Nockturnals but more difficult than the Firenocks to turn off. To turn the Lumenock off, you have to pull it up a little bit. The Lumenock was far more heavy duty than the Nockturnal. The plastic nock was even thicker as well. I would feel far more comfortable hitting bone or metal in my case with this nock. The Lumenock was still bright the second day I used it but not as bright as the Firenock. However, the weight of the Lumenock did bring my arrow down slightly. So you would have to be sure to sight in with the nock on your arrow for sure. The second day that I did the test with this nock, I shot it 24 times and then left it on for the 25th shot. The last shot with this nock was at 2PM. On Day 3, the nock was very dim and would probably be undetectable from more than 10 yards at about 3PM the next day. On Day 4, the nock was dead which ended this test due to the battery not being replaceable. This nock was not my least favorite, however was not my favorite either for this test. I am definitely considering switching to a different nock for this hunting season.
The last but not least is the Firenock. This was the only nock that I was able to fully conduct in the test. I purchased these nocks from the Firenock company for $76 for a 3 pack. The first thing I noticed when I tried to install these were that they were not very user friendly. You have to put the nocks together for one thing and then you have to use superglue to put it in your arrow. I found it almost impossible to install. This was by far the least user friendly nock I used in this test. Another thing that really didn’t impress me about these nocks was that Firenock didn’t have the right sized nock for my arrows so I had to use my old arrows for this test. I currently use Victory Vaps and Firenock did not have a nock for these arrows. When I did start shooting these nocks though, I was far more impressed. Right away I noticed that they were extremely bright. They were most comparable to the Lumenock but in my opinion were a little brighter. Which all in all is the purpose of a lighted nock, right? I also noticed how extremely easy they were to turn off. To turn these nocks off, you simply have to tap the nock on a hard surface. This makes me wonder what will happen if the nock would hit a hard surface when it landed from being shot or if it hit a bone on the target on its way through. On Day 2, I shot the Firenock 24 times and then left it on for the 25th shot. I noticed that the Firenock on Day 2 was slightly dimmer then it was on day 1. The last shot I shot on day 2 was at 2PM. On Day 3, the nock was noticeably dimmer then it was on day 2 but would still be easily seen from a distance. On Day 4, the nock was obviously dimmer than it was on Day 3. At approximately 10PM on Day 4, it was not visible lit from 20 feet however was still lit. This was the day that the brightness decreased the most. The brightness continued to decrease but was still visible up close. On Day 6 it was just barely visible with a small band of light in the middle of the nock being the only light source. It continued this way until I replaced the battery on Day 8. On this day, I shot 25 shots and then let the nock soak in tap water for Day 9 for 24 hours exactly. To my surprise, the nock still worked after for my 25 shots on day 10.
I guess the main thing this test showed was that you get what you pay for. Obviously the Firenocks were far more expensive than the other two but they also lasted far longer. This year, I will probably be using the Firenock for my hunting season. I hope you do too!

·
Prestige Archery Strings
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pics

will post pics tomorrow. it isnt working tonight for some reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The fire nocks only turn off if you hold it still for about 5 seconds and then drop it on a hard surface on the nock end. It will not turn off hitting bone or falling out. I am surprised that they do not have your size needed. I am sure this will change if it has not already, there are many differnt sizes. 1 other note, I do not think your are supposed to glue them in. the nocks you are replacing were not glued in. these are supposed to be direct replacements friction held, especially if you use the o ring that goes on the battery body. Call Dorge at firenock he can help you with any issues. One note I agree on is that it is a little cumbersome to put together but they seem to be well built. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I do not make any arrow smaller than the 0.202 (axis, MFX) size, the lady use the VAP from victory which is 0.166" ID. As for the gluing part; it is for the extreme shock end caps, not Firenock. They are only use when one do extreme hunting or pro long target practice with Firenock. Just like everything else, you get what you pay for IMHO and sometime it also apply to effort!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts