Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Genesis 21:20
20,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A litte more than 24 months out. What do you think? Is team USA ready for another Olympic games?

I think Brady and Jake are. Jenny too. And you can never count Vic out.

Anyone else? Who will step up in 2012?

Will we qualify 3 women this time?

·
Registered
367 Posts

Limbwalker - be nice if there was another "dark horse" to make the team. Given all the talk of "what it takes" - great to see that creativity and persistance can also win the day without tons of cash being spent.

Interesting results from the Texas Shootout - Maybe Staten Holmes will make it along with Brady and Vic. He is not a dark horse per se, but he is not promoted much.

Steve

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Limbwalker - be nice if there was another "dark horse" to make the team. Given all the talk of "what it takes" - great to see that creativity and persistance can also win the day without tons of cash being spent.

Interesting results from the Texas Shootout - Maybe Staten Holmes will make it along with Brady and Vic. He is not a dark horse per se, but he is not promoted much.

Steve
He's also one of the classiest guys in archery

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
ditto. Wouldn't bet against Jacob Wukie either.
another great guy. He sure improved rapidly over the last few years. I'd never bet against Butch if he wants to make a team. I think a Legalism(being declared a professional by FITA) prevented him from making one of the teams with DP back in the 70s.

·
Registered
167 Posts

The experts are saying Tom Stanwood, Butch Johnson and Chris Yacino. I have to agree, although Chris Yacino is a longshot. ;)

·
20,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The experts are saying Tom Stanwood, Butch Johnson and Chris Yacino. I have to agree, although Chris Yacino is a longshot. ;)
We have "experts?"

John.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
We have "experts?"

John.
LOL

Proven contenders-Brady, Butch, Vic, Jacob (Jason M if he gets back into it)

Shooting well now, Jake, Thomas S, Anthony Don, Matt Zumbo

Two years from now? hard to say. Several good juniors such as Aaron, Matt Z, Daniel McLaughlin etc could be in the mix

Lots of things can happen in two years. I knew who Stephanie White Arnold was in 2002. How many people thought she was going to make the team two years later? How about John Magera? Who were the top guns in addition to those who made the team in 2002 and 2006?

Too early to really get all worked up now:D

·
20,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too early to really get all worked up now
I would agree Jim, if we were sure to have three spots for both teams already. Not sure exactly how that process works, but USA will be needing some archers to step up and shoot well soon so we can send two full teams.

Anyone know when the team qualifying process begins?

John.

·
Registered
437 Posts
LOL

Proven contenders-Brady, Butch, Vic, Jacob (Jason M if he gets back into it)

Shooting well now, Jake, Thomas S, Anthony Don, Matt Zumbo

Two years from now? hard to say. Several good juniors such as Aaron, Matt Z, Daniel McLaughlin etc could be in the mix

Lots of things can happen in two years. I knew who Stephanie White Arnold was in 2002. How many people thought she was going to make the team two years later? How about John Magera? Who were the top guns in addition to those who made the team in 2002 and 2006?

Too early to really get all worked up now:D
Matt is only a second year cadet, but thanks Jim for including him with the other very talented archers. By the way, Matt shot a 1294 adult fita in practice a few weeks ago training at the OTC. It was only practice, but it was a PB for him, out shooting his previous PB of 1287. Not bad for only shooting a recurve for about two and half years. Only time will tell if he can make the jump up to the big boys.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Matt is only a second year cadet, but thanks Jim for including him with the other very talented archers. By the way, Matt shot a 1294 adult fita in practice a few weeks ago training at the OTC. It was only practice, but it was a PB for him, out shooting his previous PB of 1287. Not bad for only shooting a recurve for about two and half years. Only time will tell if he can make the jump up to the big boys.
2 years is a long time. plenty of time for a boy with talent to make it to the top. but I have seen other things happen to.

all we have to go on is past performance which is why anyone who counts Butch Johnson out is clueless. You make 5 olympic teams that shows something. Sort of like betting against a guy who had just won two of the last three kentuck derbies!!

·
20,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed Jim. Butch will make the team if he wants to. There isn't a stronger mental game in the sport IMO.

I think we only have about a year and a few months to be "ready" since we need a top showing at the world championships to qualify spots for the Oly. games. That is job #1 at the moment.

So while it may seem we have a couple of years yet, at least for the ladies, I don't think we do. We need to have 3 or 4 ready to go in a year.

Not trying to be negative here, but the fact that we did not even qualify a full group of ladies for Sr. USAT leaves me very concerned about the prospects for securing 3 Oly. spots a year from now. I must admit that I was shocked that this didn't happen in '08. Esp. since it looked like we had four solid, experienced women shooting internationally at the time - 3 of which had Olympic experience already.

A few of our female RA's have made great progress indeed. I hope it will be enough, but looking back to where we were in '06, it appeared that we would have been in good shape then too...

John.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
John,

Do you think it matters how we choose a team now vs. the way it was done in the early days. ie Shooting two FITA's and taking the team from the top scorers over four days. Granted, there weren't elimination rounds until 1988, but even then, the process didn't change until 1992, and it seems to be adjusted every Olympics. The big question would have to be: Would the outcome still be the same no matter what the process?

JC

·
20,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jason, I believe it would be. I don't think the process is all that important to be honest. The best recurve result we've had internationally since 2000 came with the shortest Oly. trials event.

Many have criticized the process we used in '04 to select the team because two relative unknowns were able to make it as a result of a good (not great) week of shooting. Those critics may love to point out that neither U.S. team medaled, but what they won't mention is that the men's team still has the highest international finish at a World Championship or Olympic games in the past decade (since the '00 Sydney bronze won in a shoot-off), and the weakest shooter for the women's team round was NOT the least experienced archer. I think those facts illustrate that the process is not as important as some would like us to believe (although some selection processes certainly favor one group of archers over another), and that our nation's best archers manage to rise to the top regardless of the format. One look back at the past two year's worth of events (both indoor and outdoor and multiple formats each) show the same 4 or 5 archers at the top every time.

The facts are that we only have about 4 truly internationally competitive male recurvers here in the U.S., and at the moment, only one female recurver (but arguably 2). A few more are making impressive progress. But at the moment, it's not enough to qualify two full teams.

I was thrilled to discover today that the U.S. men's team qualified 3rd at the World Cup event. Not really all that surprised though considering how well Brady and Jake have been shooting. But our ladies are still only 10th. The mixed double team of Brady and Jenny qualified 5th, which is very solid. Too bad that's not an Olympic event yet or I'd think we would have a solid chance at a medal with those two.

Somehow, someway and somewhere we have GOT to figure out how to find and train and support more world class female recurve archers. To me, this is a serious issue that I hope USArchery is taking a hard look at it. I see the entire U.S. Team as a full 6 competitive archers at every major international event, and anything less than that as unacceptable. So at the moment, I think our training programs and athlete support is only about 60% effective based on the results we've seen.

Some will take those comments personally, but they are not directed at anyone. Collectively, from the JOAD, 4-H and NASP ranks all the way up to the RA Program at the OTC, we all need to take responsibility for helping to find and train the next generation of Olympic archers - both men and women. And maybe now more than ever we need to be especially dilligent in our search for female recurve talent.

John.

·
20,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Based on today's results, it looks like the men's team is answering the question. They are ready.

Unfortunately, we are not in the same position (once again) with the women. What is it going to take to have a competitive women's program?

Why have they struggled so much?

I think these questions need to be asked and a solution found. And quick!

John.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Unfortunately, we are not in the same position (once again) with the women. What is it going to take to have a competitive women's program?

Why have they struggled so much?

I think these questions need to be asked and a solution found. And quick!

John.
Then you may like the solution the rumor mills have produced. How about some Korean women currently attempting to get US citizenship? :tomato:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts