Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed on my Vector Turbo a buzz on both top and bottom cams. Worse on the top than the bottom. I put tape over the e-clips on both axles and tapped the limbs and I still have a buzz. I am hoping it's not the bearings. I have only had the bow less than a year and I don't shoot more than once a week about 30 arrows. So I can't imagine the bearings would be shot. Anyone of you Hoyt Dealers or people who work on Hoyt's regularly experience anything with the RKT cams like this. I had a 2007 Vectrix XL that the bearings went bad and it sounds a lot like my VT as far as cam buzz.:sad: I shoot 62# with a 410 grain 400 spine Axis FMJ so I am not shooting to light a set-up by any means. I haven't put it on a press yet but plan on doing so tonight. Just wondering if this common or I just have bad luck.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Are the screws holding the draw modules loose? Sometimes the little fiber spacers will between the cam and the inside of the limb will buzz also.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Could be loose mods, could be axles not properly shimmed (should be no free play), Could be loose roller gaurd, could be timing waaaay off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mods are tight, roller is tight, timing is on. The buzz comes from the cam area and I can hear it at rest when you thump the riser with your hand (don't hear anything at the shot). I also checked the limb pockets and the black shims on the inside and they are tight also. It draws smooth and shoots fine. Mostly I was wondering if this was a common thing with those who have worked on Hoyt's ie. Dealers or tuners, like Ex-Wolverine and also Ray Knight??? I love the way the bow shoots, but 2 sets of bearings on 2 bows has me wondering??

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Normally when you cant find anything else its the E-clip vibriating arrond the axel...Put some scotch tape on the e-clis then bump it and tells us what you have

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did put tape over them (see my first post) and they buzz. Ex-Wolverine, have you seen many bad bearings with Hoyt's???? I am planning on getting a set of your threads sometime in the next couple months and maybe drive over from Pocatello to have you install and tune it up for me...heard you are the Hoyt guru. It's nice having that in my backyard.:)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
if everything is tight, it is the fiber washers. i had the same thing on my vt. took it to two shops and had it pulled apart and nothing is loose, when i checked those washers with a micrometer, they were about one and a half thousandths smaller from wear. no caused cam lean, no louder on the shot...no movement or play. i called hoyt and my string guy, both told me to shoot it and not worry about it. i also have the same issue with two other brand bows, no problems...just worn bushings. just shoot it!

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
The nylon shims from apple archery work really nice in place of the stock ones if they are loose. Try this. Lay the bow on its side so the axle is on the table. Press the limbs together toward the table. See if you have any play between the outer E clip and the limb or yoke bushings. When its under tension you would not see it but if you press the limbs together you may notice its a loose fit and needs shimmed.

·
Keith Karr
1,836 Posts
I had to have the bearing replaced on my 2012 Matrix RKT. Bought in Dec of 11 and needed a bearing on the upper cam around last Aug or Sept. Local shop did not have any so I drove about 1 1/2 hours to GRIV's shop (the Archery Learning Center) to get it replaced.

I saw that he had several bearings in his parts kit and asked if this was very common....he said "yes" I even have to replace them on my own bows occasionally.

What you are describing is just how mine was doing...after eliminating everthing else the bearing was all that was left.

If it is your bearing...be very careful who you let do the swap. I watched George and there is a certian procedure to follow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I did put tape over them (see my first post) and they buzz. Ex-Wolverine, have you seen many bad bearings with Hoyt's???? I am planning on getting a set of your threads sometime in the next couple months and maybe drive over from Pocatello to have you install and tune it up for me...heard you are the Hoyt guru. It's nice having that in my backyard.:)
Scott

I have never changed a bearing on any Hoyt...Ever nor have I seen one go bad..Come on over somtime...In the mean time go to Archery Idaho Look up Jesse Smith or look up Ryan Pimatel (Both shoot my strings) very knowledgble ...they could save you some gas Money in the mean time

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Ray I tried what you said and low and behold there is a gap between the e-clip and the fuzzy shim on the upper cam and lower cam when I push on them. So it must be the shims. Thanks for the tip and thanks to Ex-Wolverine for suggesting Ryan and Jesse. I know both of them well, great guys. I was the Pres. of the Pocatello Field Archers for the past 4 years and rubbed shoulders with both of them. I will let you know soon when i will need some strings. What are your prices??? You can PM me if you wish, Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Well Ray I tried what you said and low and behold there is a gap between the e-clip and the fuzzy shim on the upper cam and lower cam when I push on them. So it must be the shims. Thanks for the tip and thanks to Ex-Wolverine for suggesting Ryan and Jesse. I know both of them well, great guys. I was the Pres. of the Pocatello Field Archers for the past 4 years and rubbed shoulders with both of them. I will let you know soon when i will need some strings. What are your prices??? You can PM me if you wish, Thanks again.
Thats great news bud! Now all you have to do is remove the E-clip and put a slightly thicker shim in to close the gap and it should make no more noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts