Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never owned a Athens, been Mathews owner for about 12 years, and thought it was time for change. So I bought a used 2013 Testament that is in immaculate condition. I checked all the specs and found the bow way out of wack. ATA 33.65, BH 6.11. Corrected the specs by using the Nuts&Bolts post over at AT. I put a QAD HDX on it and started to tune for center shot, paper tune. Had a sever right nock tear. Played with the rest and it was way out to the left, couldn't adjust enough. Tried different spine arrows, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Looking over the bow, I thought it was different that Athens has the bows info on the top limb.....alway found that they were on the bottom limbs of other manufactures. So I call Athens and they verified that they normally put the info on the bottom limb of the bows (Great Customer Service). So I proceeded to tear down and swapped the limbs back to factory. Checked specs and made changes as needed. Great, ATA 33 1/4, BH 6 5/8 and maxed out limbs at 61 lbs. Set the center shot at 15/16 and nock at 1/8 high as per Athens. Took it back to the paper and BINGO......bullet hole. Took a second shot just to make sure I didn't flinch and mess up....been known to happen. Bow shoots very awesome.

BUT.....

Now for the part I can figure out to save my life.....It is very loud now...and it's in the strings. sounds like a Guitar. I've seen so many peeps say they don't use string silencers on these bows. I don't believe it was this loud when I started this journey. I've check the string stop and moved it so it was just touching, credit card away and even a little more....still has a loud buzz to it.

Anyone else experience this? Any help would be very helpful.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Glad you got her shooting well, on the string buzzing, not sure what it could be. The testaments I had, I had monkey tails on them. It didn't seem too noisy with them, but I don't remember shooting them without string silencers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I put on some string and cable leaches last night and it has made a big difference. Pretty quiet. I was just hoping not to use them and still have the bow as quiet like you hear on the reviews. Oh well.

I'm really liking this bow. The back wall in incredible, solid!!! Shoots very accurate and smooth to draw. I put it through the chrono and here is what I got. DW 61 lbs, DL 29", Arrow is a Carbon Express Whitetail at 28.5", 100 g field tip equaling 370 gns total weight. Chrono'd at 288.3 average. Have to say it was very consistent as all shots were in the 288 range.

I'm thinking the Mathews will be up for sale soon..... :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Glad you were able to get it setup correctly. I think a lot of Mathews shooters wouldn't have any Reezen to Switchback once they shoot their first Athens..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is funny !!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts