Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello AT,
I continue to be impressed by the quality shooting equipment being produced by a fellow Georgia company named Obsession Archery. In this review, I've taken the brand new 2014 Sniper GT (29/65 all black) that I received late yesterday afternoon and video review it side by side with one of my favorite bows of all time - Mathews Heli-M. The two bows are so close in specifications on paper that I thought that a side by side video might open up some minds to test drive the Obsession bow line since you really can't get this kind of understanding about the bows by simply reading a spec sheet. Both bows are 30" ATA, sub 4 pounds, 7" brace height, have great back walls due to limb stops, etc...we have all read the specs.

Now, I've tuned dozens of Heli-M's in the past for my clients with great results and this particular rig is my personal Tactical version with 70 pound limbs running a 29" cam (29.4" in draw board). The Sniper was just delivered at 6pm last night and only "rough tuned" (cams sync'd, DLoop/Nock set added, etc). As you will see in the uncut/unedited video, it's set at only 65 pounds of draw weight, runs the same arrow and spine as my 70+ pound Heli-M (71.4 on my digital scale) almost identical results. I may be able to even find a few more fps lurking in the Sniper GT with some further tuning and the addition of a Hyper Glide on the cable rod. I'm hopeful that some folks that have been thinking about dropping a few pounds in draw weight or that have been thinking about trying one of the new Obsession binary cam systems will find some of this information useful...yes, you can bet that when I get a 70 pound Sniper GT in it'll be going through a very similar side by side test...Jeff Dixon - 2nd Chance Archery

Here is the link to the YouTube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kk5VOaVJ1U

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Thanks for the review on the speed. What did you think of the other aspects of the bow? Draw, valley, noise, feedback, hold etc....

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the review on the speed. What did you think of the other aspects of the bow? Draw, valley, noise, feedback, hold etc....
Thanks for the post in reply. Both bows draw-cycle is extremely smooth (Sniper will improve slightly with Hyper Glide install), both bows have a rock solid back wall but a slight edge to the Sniper GT due to adjustable draw stop posts versus the fixed peg location on the Heli-M (example: Heli-M draws 29.4" in my draw board on 29" cam). The valley is adjustable in the Sniper based on where you tune the cable pegs built into the modules on the cams...this can be shallow or deep...the deeper you set it on the Sniper the lighter the holding weight (up to 90% if you want). Both bows are extremely quiet and shock free/vibe free so that is a tie. I'll know more about the stability of the bow later today when I get outside at distances over 40 yards after walk back and distance bare shaft tuning. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
how is the tuning as well? ON GT you say (cams sync'd) does it have marks ? or you have to pull strings and check them?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why are they not using a hyperglide from factory.
Likely due to the licensing costs associated with using aftermarket parts on new production...those are always the sticking points it seems...Goes way beyond just the cost of the part most times in the mfg business world...

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how is the tuning as well? ON GT you say (cams sync'd) does it have marks ? or you have to pull strings and check them?
Tuning has been straight forward to date if you're at all familiar with binary two track cams (think Elite, Strothers, Obsession, Expedition, etc)...on the Obsession draw length modules there are "pegs" that engage the bus/control cable at full draw/over draw stops. These are the pegs that need to be "sync'd" in a draw board through subtle tweaks/twists to the cables. Yes, they have marks on the outside of the cams to help guide a tuner but reality really hits home when the pegs are used as a reference point. I'm still learning more everyday about these bows, but I'm coming up to speed quickly each night when I get to work in the shop.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Nice review looking forward to the final EXACT true specs on the Sniper and then compare. Speed in itself should come up 2fps once strings are fully seated with no further tweaking. Assuming the draw weight is dead on 65# and the draw at an actual 29", the Sniper has the clear upper hand over the already nice Heli-M. Say 2-3fps for 65# draw efficiency, 3 fps for draw length, 7 fps for draw weight difference, your looking at a 12-13fps faster Sniper with the same spec sheet. This is all before a fully broken in set of strings and tweaked for optimization. Very nice! So maybe even 15 fps faster and full tuned that the Melim, apples to apples.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice review looking forward to the final EXACT true specs on the Sniper and then compare. Speed in itself should come up 2fps once strings are fully seated with no further tweaking. Assuming the draw weight is dead on 65# and the draw at an actual 29", the Sniper has the clear upper hand over the already nice Heli-M. Say 2-3fps for 65# draw efficiency, 3 fps for draw length, 7 fps for draw weight difference, your looking at a 12-13fps faster Sniper with the same spec sheet. This is all before a fully broken in set of strings and tweaked for optimization. Very nice! So maybe even 15 fps faster and full tuned that the Melim, apples to apples.
Could not have said it better myself....without getting flamed that is...but you are exactly right about the new threads needing some time to settle/sink, Hyper Glide will definitely help too if experience is any prediction for future events...I'm also running some lighter arrows now to fine tune it (closer to 5 grain per pound rule). I'm gonna make up a batch of VAP 400 spines tonight and that really where I think the spine should end up on this rig but only testing and further fact based reporting will tell...thanks for the post, it is appreciated...

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Up top for some guys looking for the comparison side by side.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Does any one know if there is any benefits of the new riser of the evolution n Phoenix vs the sniper GT.does it make the bow more stable, quieter n vibration dampen better? Thanks great reviews

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does any one know if there is any benefits of the new riser of the evolution n Phoenix vs the sniper GT.does it make the bow more stable, quieter n vibration dampen better? Thanks great reviews
Would also like to know the answer.....
Hi guys, I'll give you my Opinion (that's all that it is). I'm not sure about the engineering specifics of the new Phoenix/Evolution riser (Bow Only or other OB company guys can answer that one), but I do notice one clear difference between the "new" riser and the GT riser...the grip. On the GT with the similar riser to last year's design, the grip is just a bit wider and fits my hand exactly like all the 2013 Obsession bows do. On the newer riser for 2014, I have noticed that it is slimmer.

All the bows are super quiet, scary quiet actually. Without ANY stabilizer, I can detect a faint after-shot vibe in the GT but once a stabilizer is on it, there is none/absolutely zero...Phoenix/Evolution have zero/no vibe at all even without a stabilizer and once one is in place, it's really just there to hold the wrist strap in place for me and provide my preferred after-shot balance point. It's kinda like the guy who gives you a "dead fish" handshake...it just sits there until you decide what to do with it next...LOL

So, I guess one could deduce that the new riser helps to add a wider and more rigid base for the wider 2014 limbs/pockets as well as to reduce vibration. These are just my observations after building/tuning about 15-20 2014 bows. One thing for sure, 100% of my clients are raving about these bows and how well they are drawing/holding/shooting.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
could you tell me what you think the easier draw would be between the two if they were both at the same draw weight I have a helium and am thinking about getting the gt thanks

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
could you tell me what you think the easier draw would be between the two if they were both at the same draw weight I have a helium and am thinking about getting the gt thanks
Both are smooth like butter, but "easier" would be the GT for me as it hits peak draw weight just a tad bit later in the force curve then the Heli-m does. So, once I have it moving it just glides back into place. Like I said though, both are super smooth drawing bows that if tuned correctly will yield a draw cycle that "feels" like you are pulling back less poundage than you actually are. Can't go wrong with either...again, IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts