·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For hunting, which is preferable?
Any brand / model recommendations?
Do they impact your draw length?
Is the thumb release harder to draw?
Practically, is the thumb release a pain to keep track of in the field?!
3 or 4 fingers?
I have small hands fml. Should I go ladies?

Hey all. Just started in November 2014 and I'm hooked. I'm currently using a Scott wrist release. It's all I know, but I do have issues with it that I'm looking to solve by potentially moving to the finger release. Let me know your thoughts, much appreciated!

Issues with wrist release:
- squeezing the trigger forces my hand into an awkward position, almost stretching
- interferes with sleeve and gloves, especially irritating on cold or wet days
- in one season of hunting, i've banged the metal it on absolutely everything in the stand
- harder to play with phone in the stand (more like raiding in clash of clans :) )
- it's starting to smell funny

·
Registered
49,431 Posts
Totally personal choice. I use a TruBall thumb push myself. Only because that is what I have used for years. But there is always a second one in my pocket. I hang it on the loop on stand if it gets bumped and dropped I have a spare in the pocket I don't have to get down to get it. Thankfully I have never dropped it LOL.
But as far as using gloves and a wrist release you can get gloves made for a wrist style release.
If your having a problem getting to the trigger then it is not tight on your wrist, shorten it up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like my Scott Silverhorn, I have used it for 3 years now and haven't had any complaints and Scott Archery has a pretty good warrantee, had the spring break sent it back to them they fixed it and sent it back in a timely matter with no questions asked beside what was wrong with it. but as Dale said it is a personal choice.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I have a medium size hand and shoot a Carter insatiable 3. The Carter insatiable and target releases are a good size for small to medium/large hand sizes. I use it for target and hunting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome, thx for responses! so no problems hunting? also, do you see thin gloves being problematic with the thumb release?

·
Socket Man
23,117 Posts
If you are considering getting a thumb trigger make sure that you dive into the information that we have to actually shoot one correctly, they are awesome and fun and can produce good shooting but they can also lead to some nasty target panic. I have a bunch of stuff for you to read if you want it, just pm me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Switched from a wrist to a thumb. (Fang 4) and now have a Fang 3. You need to try both the 3 and 4 finger versions to see which one fits you better. imo.
Love the thumb release.

·
Registered
49,431 Posts
awesome, thx for responses! so no problems hunting? also, do you see thin gloves being problematic with the thumb release?
Again each person is different. If your going to use gloves then practice with those gloves. Myself once I see an animal coming in the glove comes off------I personally hate using a release with gloves on. But I do use a thin glove on my release hand just incase I don't have time to take it off.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have a Trufire Hardcore 4 Revolution thumb release I'm using this year during deer season. Has adjustable trigger tension for wearing gloves, a wrist loop to keep it on my hand and from dropping, and a clip to keep it attached to the D string while in a stand.

I also have a Trufire Hardcore Max wrist release, and it folds back against your wrist when needed. Comes in handy a lot of times.

It also has an adjustable-length release head that pivots side-to-side to reduce torque and swivels 360 degrees. Great release and I practice with both. You might want to try those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn, this is great advice y'all, much appreciated!

@padgett, thx for the offer, shoot them my way!!! love this site, such good dudes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts