Votes: 12 11.7%
  • 11/22-11/28

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did you see the most seeking/chasing/breeding activity this year in the Midwest?

·
Registered
980 Posts
The most activity I saw was the week of 11/9, although there was some chasing as far back as 10/25 when we got a cold spell for a couple days.

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I recall correctly, the moon theory rut prediction said it would be early this year. With the seeking/chasing taking place in late October and the infamous "lockdown" breeding phase from about 11/3-11/10.

That's not at all what I saw, I experienced the usual activities at the usual times. With the cruising/seeking/chasing heating up about a week into November. Just wondered what everyone else saw since the rut can be so variable and dependent upon many local factors.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The absolute best day I had in the woods last year was Sat Nov 14th.

Bucks running does everywhere and grunting all the way. I saw more rutting activity that day than the rest of the season combined.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Over the years I've had very few "peak" days of bucks cruising and chasing that came before November 5th. There have been a few times in the first couple of days of November where a hot doe has led a string of bucks past me. But almost every year I see the best activity and the biggest bucks in the November 5-15 timeframe, and the 7th or 8th are almost always good.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Most of the bucks we saw and the activity was the end of Oct first week of Nov..... after that it was all downhill ...if there was any movement it was at night....I will say I did kill my 182lb 8 pt on the late afternoon of Fri. Nov. 13th, until then buck movement was minimal ....... the warmer weather and the lousy southerly winds kept us from getting into our prime stands, so we were hampered at what should have been the peak movement time...nov. 5th-15th ......

·
Registered
255 Posts
Most of the bucks we saw and the activity was the end of Oct first week of Nov..... after that it was all downhill ...if there was any movement it was at night....I will say I did kill my 182lb 8 pt on the late afternoon of Fri. Nov. 13th, until then buck movement was minimal ....... the warmer weather and the lousy southerly winds kept us from getting into our prime stands, so we were hampered at what should have been the peak movement time...nov. 5th-15th ......
Sometimes I wish I kept a journal, especially since my memory seems to get worse the older I get. I'm certain than 11/5-11/15 is the best period for me to consistently see bucks on the move during the rut, but even when I try to keep a journal I've abandoned it by the time November rolls around. I'm sure there are years that were affected by weather, vacation time, and other factors but I almost feel like I'm wasting vacation days from work if I use them before 11/5.

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure there are years that were affected by weather, vacation time, and other factors but I almost feel like I'm wasting vacation days from work if I use them before 11/5.
I'm kind of the same way. But after waiting all year for the rut action to heat up, I can't stop myself from starting to use vacation time in late Oct/early Nov when the weather and wind is right.

But I definitely expect my best days to fall somewhere in that 11/5-11/15 window and it seems like 11/7-11/10 is the peak of the peak for daytime buck and mature buck visibility.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
For me, the most activity started on 11/6. Multiple bucks chasing does all over the place.

"What you do in life echoes in eternity"

·
Registered
197 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. To me breeding and chasing are different things. I want to be hunting right before the majority of does are ready, but some have come into cycle, and the bucks have gotten a taste.

Every year, I get the most daytime mature buck pictures, see the most mature bucks, and get the most texts from friends putting down big boys from October 28-November 5.

I shot my bow buck this year as he made the first legitimate fall scrape on October 10th. He was really getting after it. Reliably, scrapes start to get opened up sometime between October 20th and October 25th around me. Hunting gets good around the 25th and is the best from October 28th - November 10th with a few days in there that might suck on a particular property. Different herds of does come in and out of season at different times. Then it seems to be off and on through thanksgiving, and when I mean off, like the dead sea some days, and then on is white hot like the center of the sun. Probably has to do with that property's deer. I've had days in mid November when I've been in good spots and seen squat, or just does meandering around, and a friend 20 miles away has the buck parade/racetrack thing going.

One thing I know is, does are hot when they are, and bucks are where you find them (both).

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
From my Game Cameras I had more Activity the Second Week of Nov and it was some daytime and some night. The best buck in the area was following a doe not "chasing" just following and also that Buck at 8 pm chased another buck off from the videos I got last year. I don't follow the Moon Phase I just get out when the barometer is on the raise and the first and second weeks of Nov seem to be the better times. But you cannot be 100% sure that it is that time every year but that is when I try and time it for better hunting!

Maybe that is why Michigan Firearms Opening Day is Nov 15th!

LFM

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The absolute best day I had in the woods last year was Sat Nov 14th.

Bucks running does everywhere and grunting all the way. I saw more rutting activity that day than the rest of the season combined.
Killed my KS buck (and biggest buck to date) on Sat Nov 14 evening. Rattled him in and had 2 other younger bucks fighting after my first sequence. We hunted Nov 14-21 and saw lots rutting activity all week long. I take that 3rd week every year and its always better than the 2nd week on our place

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Killed my Buck the end of the 2nd week of Nov...... seen some activity the end of Oct. around Halloween, scrape activity picked up....then 'cause of the warmth it slowed way down, esp daytime movement .... had a half dozen 1.5 year old dink baby bucks in range, but the bigger guys were not to be found until I killed mine, he was the largest in range up to that point...... overall it was a pretty crappy rut compared to some .... my buddy never did connect ....

·
Registered
651 Posts
For me, the most activity started on 11/6. Multiple bucks chasing does all over the place.
Same thing for me in KS. We arrived on 11/5, temps dropped on 11/6. It was on until about the 11th or so, when lockdown hit. Things were pretty slow. Ended up shooting a great buck on 11/16. Pretty much normal stuff. Good bucks really start to come off lockdown around 11/15. Rut was pretty much the same this year as it was every year we have been.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,520 Posts
2nd week was best (although weather got crazy for a couple of days) - this is IL and IA. The 8th, 9th and 10th were great in Iowa (I killed the 9th).

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My best couple days were like the 14th-18th of November. Saw a couple of the biggest bucks I've ever seen those days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts